SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly23675

Can I reframe this doorway myself?

Holly
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen by completely gutting it and starting from scratch. The basic layout currently consists of a galley with two parallel rows of cabinets that are anchored to a load-bearing wall at one end. This wall has a very dated arched doorway that is 48" wide. The space between the two rows of cabinets is 60". Below is a rough (very rough) sketch to give you an idea of what it currently looks like and what I want to change. The existing wall edge and the doorway are outlined in black. (FYI, this is not to scale. Please forgive the kindergarten art quality. I am not an artist).

I want to move the cabinets in by 12 inches (see orange arrows and orange dash marks). This will give us enough room to allow for the countertop to hang past the cabinets on the other side, allow for seating at the island. Or is it a bar since it would be anchored to the wall on one side? Anyway, once the cabinets are moved over, the edge of the counter, where the seats will be, will then line up with the edge of wall (see left side of pic). This is important for two reasons: 1) it would prevent the counter from sticking out beyond the walls edge and being banged into as people round the corner from the hallway that is on the other side of that wall; and 2) the living room on the other side of the island/bar is on the small side and there just isn't enough space for island seating unless we make the kitchen more narrow.

Even with the reconfiguration, the space between the two rows of cabinets would still be 48", plenty of room! So, easy peasy, right? We get island/bar seating that doesn't interfere with the flow of the space.

BUT, there is that pesky doorway. If we were to leave the doorway as is, the new cabinets would extend into the door opening by 12". Obviously, that won't work. So I'm thinking we can re-frame the doorway to 1) remove that arch; and 2) create 12" more wall space, which would be enough to accommodate the re-positioned cabinets. This would narrow the doorway down to 36", which is still standard interior door width.

So, fortunately I've begun with an extra wide kitchen and an extra wide doorway. I'm just going to narrow up the space in order to allow for seating at my new island/bar. The only problem I see (unless anyone sees any other issue I haven't considered?) is that this is a load-bearing wall and I'm TERRIFIED of messing with it. I'm pretty sure the archway is just a superficial form of some sort that someone used to round off the corners, and then they just covered it up with drywall and plaster. The house was built in 2005 so I doubt this archway offers any part of the actual support. But a contractor has already pointed out that there are two support beams on either side of the door, running vertical. So that is why I'm nervous.

My husband thinks I'm being too cautious. He said it's a simple job and we should be able to cut straight lines around the doorway with an oscillating saw, remove the drywall and whatever was used to form the arch, then we can add some 2x4's to close it in, put some new drywall up, finish it off, frame it, and voila - a new door! Mind you, my hubby is wonderful but he's NOT a strong diyer. In fact, we are both novices and we are learning as we go. We have watched a few videos on how to square up an arched door, but none of them mention whether we should be concerned if the wall is load bearing. So maybe it's not a big deal? I can't help but think we'd be better off hiring someone to do it just to play it safe; however, it does seem fairly simple. I mean, as long as we don't cut into the support beams we should be fine, right? But what happens if those support beams are closer to the door's edges than we realize and we cut in too deep with the oscillating saw?

What do you think? Am I over worrying/overthinking? Any other tips or ideas for this project? By the way, we already have the electrical and plumbing work covered....definitely hiring licensed professionals for both of those jobs, which is why I'm hoping we can remove the arch and close in the door ourselves, just to keep our costs down as much as possible.

Edited to add this actual photo (below) to hopefully help explain what I am talking about. We have already started on the demo. The wall on the left is non load-bearing and it is coming down this Sunday.

Comments (9)