SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anholod

Porch flashing/caulking dilemma

Lorina Street
2 years ago

Hello, I just had my wooden front and side stoop/deck replaced because they were rotting and the cedar siding was rotting where the decks met the house. Contractors used proper flashing on the front deck but not the smaller side stoop, which is lower to the ground and doesn't have a railing. He used black spray rubber instead. When I expressed concern about this, he told me he would caulk it at the end. That didn't concern me at first, because I know my cedar siding is caulked in other places, but this doesn't look quite right to me. Looks like he used silicone caulk, and the house paint isn't adhering to it. It's been rainy and damp, so I'm not sure it'll cure right. He says the wood was dry when they put it on, but the silicone peels up right away when I touch the edge of it. Should I just peel this mess off? None of my other porches (main front door or back door) are caulked with silicone caulk like this, and the internet is telling me that you are supposed to use some kind of epoxy on cedar, and only when it is old?

Comments (5)