SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_lauderdale

Fantasy Brown: testing slab at slab yard for composition & etching

Nina Lauderdale
2 years ago

Hi,

I've read people saying they tested their desired FB slab with lemon juice to see if it is more on the marble-y or on the quartzite-y side (my words) or to see if it etches.

I haven't been to a slab yard yet and want to be prepared.

How do you do you manage to do that? Do you just tell them you want to do it?

Do they have to cut a sample for you right then and there? Or can you only do it if they alreay have a sample? (Would that sample be of your exact slab?)

Do you only test on a slab you've already reserved, or can you do a test as part of deciding whether you want to reserve the slab?

Do I do it at home on a sample they've given me? Or do I do it at the slab yard? Do I just bring a bottle of lemon juice? Paper towels?

Since I am planning on getting leathered (or honed), my understanding is that etching isn't as much of an issue, so should I use/bring something that stains rather than lemon juice? Or still use lemon juice to see if it's more on the marble side?

Also, can you tell by the color if the slab is more marble-y? I am interested in the lighter slabs, with a lot of cream - would that mean there is a lot of calcium carbonate = marble?

[Background: I am planning on getting Fantasy Brown leathered for my kitchen countertops. (I was considering honed but not sure I can get it - it's uncommon here.) I've read a bunch about FB, including here, elsewhere online, and have seen the video where they test a bunch of foods on FB in polish and honed finish. I know to go into it with my eyes open and be careful with it (not treat it like it was quartz) and to get it sealed multiple times.]

I would appreciate any information or suggestions.

Thanks!

Nina

Comment (1)