SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
earl999999

What would you do?!

earl999999
2 years ago

Have two furnaces and AC unit in my home. Each of them are 20+ years old. The 2nd floor AC, to me, is not working that well. For the last few years, the AC guy has come and topped off the 2nd floor unit with MY supplied R22. I have plenty of it.

For the first time since the topping off yearly started, I think it needs to be done again. I understand it has a leak.

So the question is why should I not pay for the cooling line inspection to determine where the leak is and get that area of the AC system fixed? They are saying ...it probably need a new A coil. But if your going to replace the A Coil, you might as well replace the outside unit, and if your going to do that you might as well replace the furnace on that system as well, to the tune of 5k-6k.

Realistically, my thought (as well as my wallet) says replace the A coil, do an evac and recharge with my R22 and move on.

I know its a gamble. But other than...well the system is 20+ years old...... I know it is. But I am old school. Fix whats broken.

I would ask for your thoughts

THanks!

Comments (8)