SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_449072

sunroom turned dining room - what color????

Samantha Svobada Stevens
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a Florida room/sunroom that has been through it. It’s been school bus yellow. It’s been an exercise room. It’s been a storage space. It’s been a place for laundry to dry. It has an amazing view, ventilation, and gets so nice and warm even on cloudy days. I live in an equatorial city where year 'round the temps go from 40F (4.5C) at night to 60-70F (16-18C) during the day.

Finally, it’s been decided that my husband and I want to use it as a secondary dining room (perhaps it’ll change into the primary dining area) after I found an amazing live edge dining table second hand for a steal—it’s been a dream of mine to have one since they became popular a few years ago.

Realistically in this space the only thing we can do is paint and change floors because of budgets and city permit restrictions. Because of the amount of sun that comes in, painting it white or pastel is not an option (it’s too bright—we’ve already tried, see pictures). The space is about 2.5mx7.5m or 8ftx24ft. Including pictures of the space and various color changes that it’s had for reference. The table will ideally go on the opposite end of where the exterior door is.

We don't have any dining chairs to use at the moment that anchor us to any specific design theme. We're a very laid back family and don't want something stuffy or overly formal, and while we tend to enjoy our spaces in natural tones to combat our hectic lives, we don't this space to be childish (I am traumatized from it's school bus yellow days). We also have these wonderful outdoor hanging lights (ok, they're those patio lights that are everywhere but we've had them for years and love them) that we're going to use as our primary light source for the time being (see picture in comments), and as we use the space we'll analyze if we need to make adjustments or changes to that.

Comment (1)