SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missylee56

My Jade has lost nearly all leaves. Recommendations please!

Julie Adair
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've had my Jade plant for quite some time, passed down to me by my mother. It's probably 10 years or older and around 12" tall. It's been pretty neglected for the last 2 years since I moved into my house. It's not getting nearly enough light where it's at (north-east ish bathroom) and it's needed repotting for quite some time. I finally did repot this morning, and will also move it into an area with more light. It's never really had long branches, just a few sets of leaves that have slowly been knocked off over the last few years. At this point all I have is a 12" tall stem with two small branches/leaves that go out in a Y at the top of the plant. I'm looking to encourage new growth before I end up with just a stem. The last remaining lower leaves were knocked off by my cat a few weeks ago. At the time I didn't think about saving it to root and threw it away. There was no sign of growth where the branch fell, so I sliced off a bit of the remaining node to open it back up with the hope that another branch of two will grow there.

To those of you experienced with Jade plants, what would you recommend I do to encourage growth now that it's been repotted? I really hate to cut off the top, although I realize it may be too top heavy once I get new growth if I don't. . I read about pinching off the ends of branches for new growth. Someone else recommended for me to prune the 2 remaining branches, between the 2 sets of leaves, which makes me nervous as that's all I've got left lol. Should I go ahead and do this, or try just pinching the ends off first? I was able to check out the root system during repotting and it looks better than I thought, no rot at all just not a lot of roots. I was extremely carefull when removing the old soil and didn't damage any roots. I haven't been fertilizing, although I just bought the Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro based off of others recommendations, which should be good for Jade after allowing for time to settle into the new pot. Pictures are below (click to expand). Thanks in advance!

!

Comments (7)