SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chayah_lichtig95

Kohler Whitehaven with a hairline crack - buy fast, or steer clear?

Chayah Lichtig
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am in the midst of a full kitchen reno. I am, by nature, a cheapskate (love ding and dent appliances!), but also believe in buying things that are high quality and durable. Ie., if I liked lower-quality products, I could afford new. If I don't buy a slightly-busted $1K sink, I will not get a $1K sink, is basically the deal.

Someone is selling this unused, still-in-packaging Kohler Whitehaven 32" for $250, which is 75% off retail. I am sure they made a warranty claim and got a replacement, and now they just have that one to get off their hands. It has two parallel scratches on the front right hand side, one that looks deep. I am trying to decide whether it's the deal of a lifetime, or a disaster waiting to happen.

I am not afraid, at all, of having to do repairs. My husband and I are pretty handy in general. I am, however, afraid of buying a liability, as in a sink that will have an expanding network of cracks. FYI - we will not have a disposal, so no extreme vibration, and this is on the corner away from where our DW will be installed.

So, I'm curious - What's the worst that can happen, and what's most likely? And if you do think it's ok to buy, how would you suggest repairing?

Thanks, everyone!

Comments (8)