SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_728327933

Coretec Calypso Oak crackling

HU-728327933
2 years ago

Ive commented on a previous thread but wanted to see if there have been others that have had a crackling/crunching sound when walking on your Coretec Calypso Oak floors or other Coretec enhanced with bevels floors? what was the resolution for you if so? thanks so much. we have a claim in but feeling nervous from other stories ive read.

Comments (43)

• Sarah
    2 years ago

We are installing this floor and are halfway through our first floor. I’ve paused the job bc of the crackling noise. What do we do? I love the look of the floors but the sound is awful.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Are you using and underpad? Or a vapour barrier? Does your cortech have an attached underlayment?

• Related Discussions

Coretec Cairo Oak VS Calypso Oak

Q

Comments (110)
    DONT go with Ciaro Oak here is our experience...We put Cairo Oak by Coretec in out new build home from flooring liquidators in late 2021. We have 4 kids ages 9-1 and thought a LVP would be the most practical way to go. While I still agree LVP is great with kids this flooring is AWFUL! The color Cairo oak specifically eats anything it touches. Its sadly in our whole main floor so we are on it most of the day. This flooring makes holes in socks and in the knees of pants in literally two seconds. It has become quite costly replacing pants and sock for four kids. It is specifically this flooring. We have had other LVP flooring in past homes with kids and did not experience this. I tried reaching out to Coretec and got a careless response. It is very upsetting to spend such a large amount of money on flooring for a well known brand only to get a crappy quality in return. If you are looking at Cairo Oak from Coretec..keep looking. I wouldn't even recommend the brand after the way they handled their customer service.
    ...See More

COREtec floors? install of Cairo Oak, Noble Oak or Calypso Oak? Pics

Q

Comments (11)
    We are building a home and deciding on an LVP. How does the floor feel when you walk on it? We are coming from an apartment with awful subflooring and laminate and I can‘t stand the hollow feel and the floor shaking when we walk. Does your floor feel solid/rigid?
    ...See More

Coretec calypso oak wood/stain match for stairs

Q

Comments (10)
    One other way is to stain match calypso oak with full treads and risers. I prefer this way, but a larger investment and takes wood floor professional to achieve.
    ...See More

Coretec Calypso Oak, Cyril Oak or Noble Oak

Q

Comments (3)
    I just spent past 1hr almost going over that thread, believe me be patient and try to keep track of who is who and which flooring they put down, lol.  But it definitely educated me, ha.
    ...See More
  • Sarah
    2 years ago

It has cork on the bottom of the product. They laid down a plastic barrier before installing. I just read that wasn’t necessary on plywood so they are tearing that out to see if it minimizes the sounds. I’m wondering though (based on reading several threads here) if this is an issue with this product.

• Janelle Van
    2 years ago

I have calypso oak and do not have any noise when walking on it. I opted not to put it on our main level however, because it always, always looks streaky.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

@Sarah The cork should not be making the noise...but over a vapour barrier it *might make some noise like rubbing two balloons together. My question becomes: how much preparation of the wooden subfloor did they DO?

Noise is almost ALWAYS cause by MOVEMENT. If you STEP on it and you can feel the plank FLEX/move under foot, then they did NOT do enough to flatten the subfloors. If they DID NOT do this, the question is 'did you PAY for it'? If so, how much. A wooden subfloor can require $1-$4/sf worth of subfloor prep. Usually $2/sf is a good budget number to work with.

If you did not pay for it, then sadly you have gotten what you have paid for = nothing.

If in doubt, check the level and flatness of the subfloor BEFORE they try to put this thing down again. And GOOD flooring installers KNOW you NEVER use plastic vapour barrier over wood - ever....I mean NOT EVER!

Just something to think about.

• rime521
    2 years ago

We are currently installing this product but have paused the job due to a crackling/rice crispy sound. Wondering what the outcome was for those that were also experiencing this issue? Did it go away? Did you choose a new product? Thanks!

• Jennie Benson
    2 years ago

We installed in November and we are having a crackling sound. Did you find a solution?

• HU-728327933
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Janelle Van have you found anything that helps it not look streaky? ive tried 2 different mops, its hard to get footprints off and then i see streak marks from where i mopped.

• Sarah
    2 years ago

I use the o-cedar mop and a mixture of water and vinegar.

HU-728327933 thanked Sarah
  • rime521
    2 years ago

Just a follow up to our situation I posted about in late January. We had them take up what had been installed. They ordered new planks from a different lot. They releveled the floor and the installed the new planks. No crackling sound! I really think it’s an installation issue/floor leveling. We installed on top of concrete. We love the floor. We still have a couple of spots that we feel they didn’t level well so hoping to have those areas fixed. No noise in those areas just feels soft or too much flex.

• Jennie Benson
    2 years ago

HU, I use the O Cedar mop with water and 1 tablespoon of Tide (powder kind) dissolved in and don’t get streaks.

• bmadkey
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I know this is an old thread, but we had Coretec Manilla Oak installed a couple months ago. We have the same crackling sound others have reported. Working with the flooring house we bought from, they sent a leftover box to Coretec's lab for evaluation. As it turns out, the planks are out of spec. They aren’t perfectly straight along their length. Some are wide in the middle (hourglass shaped), some are narrow in the middle. Anyway, we now have to choose a new floor, but Coretec will install it for free. Advice from the flooring house, who spoke to the Rep at Coretec, was NOT to install Manilla Oak again, and even to be weary of choosing a floor from the same VV012 line, which would include Calypso Oak.

I hope this revelation solves the crackling mystery for you all. Unfortunate because it is a really pretty floor

• mtokar123
    3 months ago

We have the same issue with newly installed Coretec Hayes Oak. The supplier came out today and is putting a claim in with Coretec. We had the same floor installed several years ago in other rooms with no issue. It appears that it was a bad batch.

• Elina K
    3 months ago

I am trying to install Calypso Oak and having crackling noises as well. the flooring store is sending an installer to take a look.

• Alicia Peters
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

We just had Manila Oak installed yesterday. It has the crackling noise issue too... mentioned to the installer and they will check it out tomorrow and go from there with Coretec : ( We had WhisperStep installed underneath but that material was cleared to use with Cortec flooring.

• Florida4
    3 months ago

Wow..this info sets my decisions back a bit. Cortec is off the list. Grateful for the info

• mtokar123
    3 months ago

Bmadkey: did you select another Coretec floor?

• bmadkey
    3 months ago

mtokar123, we haven't chosen yet. I have several samples. The flooring house says all the VV012 planks, including Calypso and Manila Oak, come off the same line. They just get a different image on the surface. He says they could all be problematic. So I'm tempted to go with the Blended Praline, which is a different series, but similar color to the Manila Oak we are replacing. I'm trying to keep the same or similar thickness as well.

• mtokar123
    3 months ago

Bmadkey Thanks . I am hoping Coretec resolves the issue in manufacturing-cutting. I had Hayes Oak installed a few years ago in rooms that connect so I need to stick with that line. it was installed in Mid December

• Alicia Peters
    3 months ago

As an update - Coretec approved the claim, I really appreciate this thread for providing details on what the problem could be. We are considering now what our next step will be. I can get a Manila shipment from another lot or choose a different floor. The Blended Praline looks similar @bmadkey - did you end up deciding on a direction? My flooring dealer says he hasnt had this issue with Manila and he'd make sure it came from a different lot but I am wary about going through this again. It is so destructive to get your floors redone and is a lot of work to move furniture around...

• Alicia Peters
    3 months ago

@mtokar123 I noticed that Hayes Oak (VV035 ) is not part of the same line as the Manila/Calypso (VV102) - Can you let us know if Coretec responds the same way? Disconcerting if its happening with other lines too!

• bmadkey
    3 months ago

Alicia - actually we made our decision yesterday. Decided against the Praline. My wife thought it was a little too yellow/orange. After discussing with our flooring guy, we decided to try Calypso. Our guy was in touch with the CoreTec rep, who just said they do millions of lineal feet of Calypso that isn’t a problem. So went that direction. The flooring guy has been great, and made us a few. He’s ordering the material, will install a bunch of it, we’ll evaluate then decide whether to proceed. If it Calypso is crackly, we’ll try running the planks the other direction, parallel with the floor joists. Maybe that’s contributing. Our previous laminate from previous owner ran parallel. Maybe that’s why. Otherwise, our backup plan is to switch to Gracious Oak. It’s a little more in the grays, but I like the 6’ planks. Below are Gracious and Calypso in different lights over the existing Manila.

• Elina K
    3 months ago

Alicia Peters, are you getting a refund or a credit? How long did your claim take? My claim is still being processed. I have some unopened boxes of Calypso OakI would like to return.

• bmadkey
    3 months ago

We didn't have to do anything. Our flooring company took care of everything. He filed the claim with CoreTec. I gave him a leftover box of the Manila Oak, which he sent to the lab at Shaw (parent company). CoreTec discovered the issue. They will be reimbursing our flooring house for the tear-out and replacement of our floor with the new planks. Our guy has been great.

• Alicia Peters
    3 months ago

@bmadkey Thanks for the info! We looked into Calypso and Cyril Oak prior to deciding on the Manila. We really wanted to have the warm/neutral tones of the Manila. The other two we were looking at looked gray in comparison to all the other wood features in our home and with the lighting we have. @Elina K My flooring guy has been great as well and assured me they'd get it figured out - they submitted the claim and it took about 2 weeks to hear back. We had an inspection scheduled but got a claim approved from Shaw before the inspector came out after our Floor guy sent in our boards. I was not offered a refund but a replacement floor of the same value.

• Alicia Peters
    3 months ago

@bmadkey That could be an interesting finding if the direction of the boards impacts the noise...we also switched our orientation from previous laminate. I have heard the 6' planks are really nice too with the Gracious Oak. I suppose we should start preparing backup plans as well (le sigh). Additionally, had you experienced any wearing on your socks or difficulty cleaning as other posters have comment with on this line? There is definitely a matte texture but I haven't experienced anything dramatic with either of these.

• bmadkey
    3 months ago

Alicia, The Manila Oak for sure has a wonderful matte finish. But I haven't noticed any impact on socks so far. A little plug here, but I buy exclusively Darn Tough socks. Corny name, more expensive for sure, but lifetime warranty. Great quality, and if you get a hole in them, send them back and get a code to buy a new pair free on their website. Sorry for the digression. Also didn't notice any difficulty cleaning the Manilla.

• Alicia Peters
    3 months ago

@bmadkey That is hysterical you mention darn tough - its what we wear too! Love them so and was curious if thats why I hadnt noticed anything... I am too deep into the forums right now and making sure I'd be happy enough with going to Manila again as an attempt and if its still crackly going with a backup. Thanks!

• mtokar123
    3 months ago

Our flooring company put a claim in with Coretec for the Hayes Oak. I am told next step is for a flooring inspector to come to the house. I will give an update after that occurs.

• bmadkey
    3 months ago

We never had an inspector come. Instead CoreTec asked my installer to just take a video walking on it to hear the sound. I helped with that and it was really noisy on the recording. That was sufficient for CoreTec.

• lafeebs
    3 months ago

Our Coretec floors were installed 2 months ago. i feel the cracking and popping has become progressively worse. Tonight i took to google and found this thread. We have Grande Goldin Oak installed over concrete, plywood and stairs. Every area of the house has the issue and it drives me crazy. I have been thinking maybe its common that floating floors do this and that i should have just researched more before going LVP (although i researched for months)

• lisa2cam
    2 months ago

We had Ciaro Oak Pro Plus XL installed about 3 months ago in the entire main floor. Half of the floor was laid over existing 3/4" hardwood the rest was laid over 3/4" underlayment that was brought in to take the prior carpeted areas up to the hardwood level. We have popping, crackling "snap, crackle, pop" when you walk on it and physical movement up and down by 1/4" or more in some areas where the LVP was laid over the existing hardwood. So frustating. Coretec Shaw said that it is normal and a floating floor can make noises. We thought it was an installation issue but this thread makes make wonder. We purchased our flooring through Costco and are trying to come to a resolution. Thank goodness we haven't installed baseboards yet.

• mtokar123
    2 months ago

I heard from the flooring company that Coretec has approved the claim. The floor will be removed and reinstalled. Hopefully the new floor will not have the same issue.

• Elina K
    2 months ago

my Coretec claim got rejected because ”crackles“ are normal. So frustrating. I have some opened boxes that I am hoping I can send back for a refund and waiting to hear back if they will accept them.

• mtokar123
    last month

The installers came to remove and reinstall tne replacement flooring after Corete approvrd the claim. Before installing they checked thenew batch. it too is defective so we are back to square one. Not sure what are next step will be

• Elina K
    last month

@mtokar123 how was it defective? My floor inspector took one plank back with him.

• mtokar123
    last month

The floor has a crackling sound from the planks rubbing against each other lengthwise. it has gotten worse since installation in December. they sent an independent foor inspector who sent the report to Coretec/ Shaw.

• Elina K
    last month

@mtokar123 Seems odd that they would accept your crackling claim but not mine. They said crackling is normal and not covered under warranty. I had an independent floor inspector too.

• Alicia Peters
    6 days ago

@bmadkey Did you settle on a floor?

• mtokar123
    yesterday

Our installer, Floor Meisters of Naples, has tested an additional 5 lots and say that they all squeak. Now we are in a dilemma, as we have an open concept home and there is not another LVP that looks like Hayes Oak that can be installed in order to keep continuity with the bedrooms. So our options are to remove the Hayes Oak and the ceramic tile underneath and replace with a ceramic tile that coordinates with Hayes Oak in the bedrooms, or pick another LVP for the entire house. So about 2300sq ft of flooring would have to be removed. Either way it will be a big expense and hassle. I am leaning towards removing the Hayes Oak and replacing it with ceramic tile as I am now leary of using LVP.

• mcervinojr
    23 hours ago

I had a claim approved today for 1,300 SF of Calypso Oak for the crackling issue. My dealer is telling me that I have to pick another Shaw product of equal or lessor value. I would prefer a refund instead as I'm pretty hesitant to order another product and having the same issue again. Has anyone been successful in just getting a refund? If not, any luck having the product replaced with a new lot or another Coretec product that has resolved the issue?

• Alicia Peters
    22 hours ago

We tried a second time from a different lot and it was inspected by Coretec prior to install. I paused the project halfway through bc the crackling issue was there. Contractor sent the boards in with a claim and it was approved. We are back to square one but one of the options is to have material refunded. Another option is a different coretec floor and if there is a cost difference that would adjust what we owe. I would definitely recommend avoiding the vv102 line but I am not sure if this issue exists outside of that line. It's confusing bc so many people have these floors with no problem but the fact that claims are being made and approved shows there is a problem.