SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - four o'clocks

2 years ago

I love four o'clocks, which came into my garden in a seed pack of "mixed flowers". However, I soon discovered that they loved to spread, and did so with energy.

I have since kept them to one bed, where they appear out of nowhere and bloom with abandon for 8-10 weeks every summer. Below is a picture of them blooming in a bed which in Spring is roses, & iris, and later lilies. During that time, no four o'clocks are in evidence whatever - they fade away and completely disappear in the Fall.

I mention them because they go well with climbing roses, and provide a marvelous display when it is hot, and much else in my garden is going dormant.

After working for years to get them out of other places where I do not want them (my fault, I had foolishly let them spread anywhere they wanted to), I realized that this bed, which is surrounded on all sides by either blacktop or a brick patio, is a perfect place for them. ( I have the same theory about vinca, which is a fabulous ground cover if you make sure the bed it is in is surrounded by serious hardscape). Their leaves are distinctive, so if a tiny seedling appears anywhere else, it is easy to pull up, which I do immediately.

Four o'clocks do this appear and then disappear trick because they grow from tubers. Young ones on seedlings are just a wide spot in the single root, but we have dug up ones which were the size of footballs on occasion. Anyway, these tubers get lower under the soil as they get older, so that is the secret of their ability to appear and disappear. In the picture you can see the many colors. I did have some striped ones, but they have all vanished, so I think the solid color ones are what you get long term.

Jackie

Comments (20)