SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Should you plant natives in your garden?

If you haven't seen this, Dr. Doug Tallamy gives an amazing presentation here. He is my hero and gardening guru. He lives in Chester County, PA, not far from where I grew up and close to both Longwood and Mt. Cuba Center which is perhaps my favorite public garden (more my style than Longwood actually, although Longwood is absolutely spectacular). I have been working on adding natives for about six years now and have a ways to go to achieve my goal of 70% native plants in my gardens. Even if you have read his books as I have, hearing and seeing him is a treat and further inspiration. You can fast forward to the two-minute mark to skip all the boring intro and attempts to bring everyone on the call. The questions section starts at the end of the hour mark. Our temps tomorrow will be close to 36 degrees celcius (96+ F.), so if your weather is similar, it is a great opportunity to amuse yourself and learn all about caterpillars, insects, etc. and what plants are best to support them. In the Q&A section, he also offers advice for those who worry about too many insects and he has a wonderful comment and slide to show that those who like formal gardens can still use native plants.

If you do want to add natives, it is important to pay attention to the numbers of caterpillars and butterflies are supported by each plant. We can live with insects, but we cannot survive without them.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!