SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaime6504

Red Oak Stain and Seal help needed.

jaime6504
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Need help with stain/finish on sanded red oak. Posted before but photo didnt upload... recently sanded down these original red oak floors in our new home. Plan to use a water based poly for fewer chemicals, but also less amber over time. Trying to get the look of light but with a touch of warmth, not scandinavian or totally natural. something like the second photo. None of the minwax and duraseal options my floor team offered look like this. What should i be asking them to try to get this look? Thank you!

Comments (18)

• jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

here is what i am looking for

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago
  • houssaon
    2 years ago

Looks like the last sample in the lower right is going to get you the finish you want. I also like the one to the right. It is a tad darker.

• jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lower right is water based poly only - no stain, natural wood. with water seal only. I have been advised if we did that some of the nail heads may rust and form black spots. A low percentage but virtually guaranteed it will happen to some. I should note, I’m not thrilled with my floor guys and they are not being very creative for me. I need to be careful regarding application and expertise needed. im not certain my team will be versed in some of the more complicated applications I’ve read about here...

• jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lower right is water based poly only, see comment above. Bottom middle is natural stain (minwax). Top right and middle right are both golden oak (duraseal), top middle is golden pecan. Top left is colonial maple and bottom left is ipswich.

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago

Why are there nails exposed?

The articles i linked to have options for colored sealants

• jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The nail heads from original installation, some are visible. i thought this was normal for some hardwoods installed ages ago?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    2 years ago

Have the nail heads filled to avoid the rust marks. It will be a add-on.

FYI - lower right is not water base. That can is Bona wood line, which is a oil base polyurethane.

jaime6504 thanked G & S Floor Service
  • jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks G&S Floors, will do. I thought I was doing a simple refinish so went with a less professional team, am regretting that now. Anyway, so that bona is an oil finish? not even a stain? My guy did not communicate that. I guess it doesnt matter if he was trying to get me the look i wanted but i did say i wanted a water based finish, could we still finish that with a water based finish?

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

I had one floor refinisher (25+ years experience...ahem) that he only used water based product. Turns out he thought ANYTHING that was a liquid LIKE WATER was 'water based'. The dude used oil based for everything...and I mean everything. Let's just say he didn't take kindly to being told not all liquids are water....Just be aware these people are OUT THERE...and that's scary.

Here's the technical specifications for the Bona Woodline:

Woodline Polyurethane (bona.com)

Please note the VOC content is 510 g/L. CARB II requirements have a maximum listing of 275 g/L. A water based polyurethane like Bona Traffic HD sits around 100 g/L. Yah. See the difference?

I HOPE you are not paying top dollar for a Bona system that is an oil based system. You are going to have one STINKY FLOOR once this is done.

If you want the amber colouring you can have Bona Mega (the original) used. It will offer the same depth...without turning ORANGE in a few years.

Sorry to say but your refinisher is blowing smoke. I bet dollars to doughnuts this guy thinks ANYTHING from Bona is a water based...(see comment above about guy who thinks all liquids are water)...

Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware...of this guy.

jaime6504 thanked SJ McCarthy
  • jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

SJ McCarthy - thanks for the insight. At this point, I think I need to guide my refinishers rather than the other way around. We've finished sanding and I had some time to think about it due to a delay with another project. So, I have a few days to come up with my choice. Would you mind, with your expertise - telling me how to achieve this color? It doesn't look natural to me, or at least not what I consider natural. But i'm also realizing we are all using the same words but may not be saying the same thing. What oil based stain and water based poly combo can I use to achieve this look? I was thinking maybe bona classic seal and a bona water poly? Please and thank you!

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Sure...this looks to be an oil based finish on a wood of some sort. There does not appear to be a stain. The orange/gold tones you see are from the oil based polyurethane.

Bona IntenseSeal (2 coats would probably do it...if it is allowed) then followed with 2 coats of Bona Traffic HD *should get you very very close to this colour. The 'IntenseSeal' intensifies the YELLOWS in wood...or more to the point it creates the LOOK of oil based without the oil based finish.

What you are looking for is:

1. Several colour patches on your floors (3-5 = NORMAL for a refinisher to put down).

2. Each colour patched coated in ONE coat of your desired polyurethane

3. A 'control' patch of JUST the coat of polyurethane

For a routine finish the above three steps are normal and are considered part and parcel of your project's price tag. That leads us to the Elephant in the room: how much were you QUOTED for this job? How many square feet do you have to deal with?

Here's a hint at what I'm after. The 'average' sand/refinish (including colour swatches) is $5/sf ... including labour. That's ALL IN!

Now onto the Bona Traffic HD price tags. As soon as you get into the TOUGHEST OF THE TOUGH finishes like Bona Traffic HD, you *can be looking at $2/sf EXTRA from YOUR areas 'going rate'. Yes. Bona Traffic HD is THAT much more expensive.

The Bona sealants are often used in lieu of 'stains'. They can increase or decrease the colour in wood by 2-3 steps. The IntenseSeal ADDS 3 steps of depth = identical to Oil based polyurethane.

Let us know the full quote for your situation and how many square feet you have. We'll tell you if you are paying too much or too little for what this 'dude' is offering.

• Alana Willick
    2 years ago

We refinished our 80+ yr old oak (1st pic) with water based poly (sorry, can’t remember the brand) and it’s similar-tone to your pic (we may have a different grade of wood with more variation than yours).

The inspiration pic you posted looks like it may be maple (due to lack of grain pattern usually found with oak, but it’s hard to tell). The 2nd pic below is our maple floors also redone in the same water based product. Both were filled to cover nail heads as mentioned above, and we’re really pleased with the results.
    You installed oak, so I would think clear poly would give you similar results to my oak floors below, for reference.

• jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks to all - much appreciated. $3100 for 1000 sq ft plus one set of stairs, we're only doing the upstairs at this time. That also includes pulling up carpet in two rooms and removing it. The price was on the lower side compared to other estimates, but I thought this was going to be a straightforward job. My primary concern with these guys is they seem in a rush and they haven't communicated well. They sanded away the samples before I had time to show my husband! I just want to pick a stain and move on at this point!

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Then you will be stuck with oil based poly. No stain required. The three coats (hopefully you are getting three coats...better check with them that you are getting three coats...did I mention 3 coats?) will give you the depth of yellow-orange you want. But remember: red oak is called red for a reason. You will most likely get 'cinnamon' colour instead of gold.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

That's $3.10/sf with carpet removal/disposal (roughly $1/sf in my area). Finishing stairs is another LARGE expense. When stairs go wrong....they go REALLY wrong...in a HURRY! I would be shocked if they make more than $1.00/sf on this entire job.

Buyer Beware. With the carpet removal and the stairs, I would be very surprised if they are 'in touch' with you if you have any issues with their work.

• jaime6504
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carpet removal was two rooms only, and so far on the sanding of the stairs, they did a great job. This guy works out of the back of his truck, so no overhead office costs to pass on to me. I am going to trust in the process ,he's telling me he knows what I'm looking for. He will be using an oil-based natural color stain and bona mega water finish. He's been doing this for 20 years, recommended by my realtor and I think he wants to maintain that relationship?? Fingers crossed folks. Will be done end of week and will let you know. Gulp.