SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianna_burkholder

Impact windows- South Florida- PGT vs ESWindows Alum vs vinyl

Dianna B
2 years ago

We are replacing original aluminum, stacked awning windows in a 1955 home in South Florida. I had my heart set on aluminum impact windows. I like the narrower lines, as I want to stay as close to the style of the original as possible. (We will be using casement windows with horizontal muntins to replicate the look of the original, since stacked awning is no longer a thing, especially in an impact window.) But our kitchen contractor (who also does windows) was fairly negative about them. The warranty isn't great on ES Windows in aluminum, and he said vinyl from PGT has a lifetime warranty. Would that warranty even cover discoloration, though? (In reading it, I'm guessing no, but I'm not certain.)

This is South East Florida, about a half mile from the coast. He made the argument that coastal homes never use aluminum windows, but aren't high-rise windows typically aluminum framed?

We are trying to keep this budget friendly, and a quote from Marvin on one window was something like $4000, which was not even close to being in our range.

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)