SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianna_williams70

How to remove gnarly adhesive wallpaper border

Brianna Williams
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have successfully removed all the wallpaper in my family room/parlor! As for the adhesive border at the top, nothing is working well.

Part of the issue is that they removed the picture rail (about a half inch from where the ceiling and wall meet) and likely damaged the walls doing so. To fix it, I presume, they spread the "stomp" textured ceiling material (joint compound according to my research) down onto the wall about 4" from the ceiling all the way around the room. The joint compound was painted over.

I've used vinegar and hot water, a steamer, and in desperation, a heat gun. It keeps coming off in little bits because nothing is effectively loosening the adhesive. I've tried raising the temperature, waiting a short time and a long time - nada.

When I used the steamer, it also loosened the paint which goes onto the ceiling so if I peel that, it begins to compromise the ceiling. If I had any energy left, I would remove the texture but it is staying for the foreseeable future.

I'm totally over this room at this point and just want the easiest solution possible that doesn't involve me having to redo the walls again anytime soon.

Should I try Goo Gone? God forbid sanding it? I see Zinsser Gardz as well. I've already had to peel 2 layers off the walls and 2 rounds of vinegar/hot water scraping and scrubbing to remove the adhesive from the walls. I'm worried about having to spray and scrub all the walls again.

Please send help! Thank you!

Notice the color of the walls versus the white above the border. That white area is chalky and it's like the border is completely stuck to it.

Comments (2)