SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Well, that's enough excitement for me.

Jasdip
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Today was the day to wash and wax my car. Yay. We're only allowed to do outside water jobs on certain days, at specific times and I got permission from the landlord previously. The weather cooperated; cloudy all day with chance of rain.

My car looks great!! Even my wheels are shiny. It's a job that gives a sense of accomplishment, and I don't do it often enough, my poor baby.

I heard a loud beeping, car alarm, smoke detector, something but didn't pay any attention. I'm in an area with a number of apartment buildings. I'm inside my car cleaning my windows when all of a sudden fire trucks come the street sirens blaring, and 4 pull in front of my building. I asked what was going on and they said they got a call there was an oven fire. The fire chief went inside but no hoses were brought in or anything.

I went in and I could smell something had been burning, the lady in the second floor had her door opened and I went in. She told me she bought a tin foil roasting pan and was heating up a chicken breast in the oven. It had holes in the bottom that she didn't notice, and the oil dripped onto the element and her whole inside of the oven burst into flames! I'm assuming the fire burned itself out, I don't know, but there was soot all over the place. All over the place, on every available surface. The fire chief left, and the neighbour was practically in tears. She didn't know what to do, or who to call to clean the place up.

I'm a pretty easy-going chickie, so I told her that I'd stay and do what I could. I got rags, pail for water, cleaner and set to work cleaning the stove, frig, everything on the counter, windowsills, anything I could get my hands on. I put a rag on her swiffer and wet it to get the top layer off the floor, but I got on my hands and knees after that. Kitchen, dining area, hall, bathroom. She said she could just dust the livingroom and take her time. I told her that if she needed my help to call me. She gave me a big hug and said she doesn't know what she'd do without me helping.

This is her, she wanted me to take pics of how filthy she was. Her arms were black as well as her face.

Comments (28)