SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Well, that's the last time I get brave about the snow......

alisande
14 years ago

I had a party to go to last night. It's an annual event, and I always look forward to catching up with people I haven't seen all year. I made a big plate of deviled eggs, and chose a bottle of wine. Then it started snowing.

I have a history of being a timid winter driver. I used to call myself the Great Chicken of the North. But working evenings this past year pretty much got me over that, as I had to drive in all sorts of conditions. I drive slowly in bad weather, and most of the time don't have a problem.

Still, my son was surprised to learn that I was venturing out in last night's snow. "I'll be fine," I said. And I was. But......

It was still snowing when I left the party (early--around 9:30). I was surprised to find the roads untreated. The first five miles were uneventful. With ten more to go, I turned on to the back roads that are my best choice in bad weather. A few miles later I lost control of the car. I have no idea why it happened. I wasn't on a hill. I was driving slowly (around 25-30 mph) and steadily, and all of a sudden the car went into a wide skid, alarm ringing. I was all over the road, at all angles. And then I was headed straight for a mailbox--one of those sturdy kinds set in a tall stone base. It would have done a lot of damage. I was certain I was going to hit it, but amazingly my steering and braking became effective, and the car stopped with the mailbox inches from my driverâÂÂs side window.

It was thoroughly unnerving, though, and my heart beat irregularly all the way home. I was SO relieved to pull into the driveway, and even more relieved to get safely into the house. It was a good party, but no party is THAT good.

Now I'm thinking about the winter work commute ahead of me........

Comments (23)