SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

How did you get brave enough...?

Frankie_in_zone_7
15 years ago

I'm quoting from a response post by hollylh who described her getting-starting phase as "getting her braves up." I'm not sure how to get mine up!

I would describe my DH and myself as maybe a 1 or 2 on a 10-point remodel bravery scale. I think it is likely because we don't have a lot of building/contractor contacts or craft-person contacts, and so lack confidence in interviewing and selecting people and firms. Next worst thing to me is I do get a bit skeert of all the possible urgent decisions and re-deciding that might come up, and do not know if I will be "up" for that in the midst of a work week crisis or typical day in life!

I knew I would eventually want to remodel my kitchen when we bought our home 7 yrs ago, but was busy with career and kids and was willing to say, "some day". Now things are getting scary because the existing features are deteriorating (counters, sink, faucets) and so it's getting beyond "optional".

Of course I've got a collection of pictures, kitchen books and mags, and thanks to this forum have made some steps beyond "collecting" to deciding on some definite features. Every little decision like that, or at least narrowing things down, makes me feel a little better.

My next step I want to do is to draw some layout ideas--not excluding any input from a KD, but just think it would be helpful for me to doodle some in order to "see" whether some of my current ideas would actually work with the space available.

So, I don't feel ready to pick a KD yet because I'm thinking I've not got enough of my own wants/don't wants yet, so don't feel ready to be engulfed by the design process yet--unless that actually is the necessary step!

One thing that I might use to help me "get brave" is that, while I've got nothing against the "perfect" kitchen, there are features of our home relative to the homes around it, so that I'm not in the market for some of the custom "elegant" kitchens featured here with many special features, top of the line materials and appliances and other features. And really, if I could blink my eyes and have it re-done with fairly basic materials so that it looks fresh and great and has good layout and functionality, I THINK I would be happy (so she says now, I bet you are saying!). This will not be a forever kitchen, but mostly because we are at an age where we won't be in the same home for 20+ years--meaning, at some point we might move to downsize, or retire, or whatever.

Anyway, the point of that is not so much "settling" for a not-great kitchen, but more to try to be realistic that what I want to accomplish seems do-able and not some unreachable goal with a million options.

Any pearls on what helped you get from step 1 to 2 to 3 in this whole process, so "some day" actually gets here? Network with friends on their contractors? Set aside time weekly to do real homework on kitchen plan and stuff instead of just daydreaming? Get out to kitchen "stores"?

Comments (10)