SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Countertop Confusion: high vs. low end

Kendrah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Will solid surface look out of place in our higher end kitchen? Or is everyone around me just conditioned to not like them because they aren't as popular and are inexpensive?

I can't find pics of solid surface in higher end kitchens, so can't envision what they would look like in our new NYC galley kitchen with a Plain English aesthetic, locally made cabinets, subzero fridge and bosch dishwasher - both paneled. I've shown the sample pieces to my spouse and friends and they all say it seems too plastic and cheap; hard to argue against when I can't find any pics to show otherwise.

Granite, quartz, and quartize aren't my cup of tea. I swore off marble, which we currently have and is gorgeous but we are active kitchen users and it has chipped, dented, etched. I love the look of wood but every counter contractor has warned me to not get it because of water issues - even contractors who make and sell them.

The space is small, I want a light colored counter that is not busy, has not swirls, flecks, veins. Solid surface seems so obvious. What am I missing?

This pic is a good example of my aesthetic. Can you see solid surface in this kitchen?

Capitol Hill · More Info

Comments (98)