SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Happy Birthday Garden Accident

djacob Z6a SE WI
2 years ago

I have been thinking about this post for over a week now and though I know there's another thread going about gardening and aging it has so many comments......and I wanted to share specifically what happened in the garden on my 68th bday. Like many of you I am also getting older. Many of you know I have gone through two hip replacements in just less than a year. What many of you may not know or remember is that I have also had 3 spinal fusions (starting at 30). Not seeking sympathy......hoping you understand.

When I received my brand new hips, I felt like "yay, I can finally get back to gardening!" As I started to move around as I was used to, I heard a bit of a click or tiny pop on the hip done last year, completely healed. Told the doctor about this at an appointment and he explained that becaused my lower back is fused, all those gardening years bore the brunt of all the bending, stooping and so on. That's what wore out my hips. He explained to me exactly how I could garden----get into tall kneel, then move to hands. Ok I am thinking, I can do that.

On my birthday, it was a lovely day.....I was working on some very simple repotting of small plants with proper media (per ken). I was at my bench, no real bending. I had moved a plant a few days earlier, before the dr. appointment Conflowers, easy to move, but when I walked by them, in spite of watering and huge down pours, they were leaning to the side. So I went to fix that.

I began to tamp down the ground around it and then reached over in an awkward way......I was seized the most excruciating pain in my healed hip. I couldn't move and would have hit the ground, but my Buddha statue was there and I held onto that while my husband came running. I just knew it had popped out. I slowly tried to move and with a huge pain and effort, it popped back in. This was serious.

Immediate Dr. appointment next day. He was not happy. X-ray showed, joint back together. Good. He said I didn't pop it all the way out because I would not have been to get it back in. He thinks I popped the ball of the joint to the edge of the socket and that's why I could get it back in. Then what I learned, that I didn't know before was I am a high risk for hip dislocation because of my fused lower back. Then I was told, very nicely (love my doc for a long time) that I could never have my chest to my thigh or I will dislocate it.......how many times a day do I do that? Hundreds....just think, dressing, getting shoes on and tied, routine foot care, bending way over to pick something up, sitting in my chair and bending down to pet one of my cats..... I won't go on. If I dislocate either hip, it means another more difficult surgery and even less movement.

I know age is getting to all off us......for me, I feel like I have had a major life change with this accident.

Little bit down about this, but I already have my neighbor Bert who I pay for all the heavy stuff. He's great, but I feel like I can't even deadhead, something so easy. This a new journey for me and I will keep you posted if you like. Thanks for letting me share.

debra

Comments (27)