SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstinamichelle

Using a professional, Fiver or here?

Tina S
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We will be doing a kitchen remodel here soon. Its been two years that I've been messing w/the kitchen design. I feel that I need someone to look over it one last time to be sure its a good design and that we don't have any other options. I have dealt w/a kitchen designer that I paid (they are on Houzz, but didn't find them here) and with Ikea kitchen people. Would a place like Fiver or any other place have people who would look a design over and give suggestions? I found an interior design firm here on Houzz, but they want $150 hour and I'm not sure I'm going to get my moneys worth because they wouldn't be designing anything (and its a 2 hour drive). If you guys want to take a look that is fine, but I do seem to want to have a one on one w/someone about this plan.

Info you should know...

Currently the fridge is to the left of the sink by a wall. It was moved to the East middle wall due to not being able to put it on the left corner East wall. We had it there, but the paid KD put in the wrong measurements that she fixed, which corrected the actual size of the wall. Not enough room for the fridge...due to me wanting a specific corner base pull out cabinet.

The East middle wall was to be a coffee/breakfast bar, but most of it was taken away by the fridge which is disappointing. The fridge is also not cabinet depth, so I'm thinking its going to look weird. However I saw some recently that were cabinet depth that didn't look too bad. Maybe my current fridge is pulled out a bit from the wall.

The range/stove, really had no where to go once the fridge moved. I can only fit it to the left of the sink. It wont go on the East corner wall due to not having enough cabinet space to the right of it. Currently its where the fridge will be, which is a pain having it there. I will have a built hood cover.

There is a 12" cabinet between the corner cabinet and dishwasher. I hate it as it doesn't seem to have a purpose other than to fill that space. I wanted a wine storage area. I'm considering putting some square boxes there. Ikea has a 3 box set (or building our own). The only issue it is 3" too small for that area. I've also thought about making it a pull out and use it for baking sheets, but seems like a weird spot as the range is on the other side. I am not wanting a wine cooler, just a place to store room temp wine until its ready to go into the fridge.

The island is not complete. I'm still trying to decide how I want the overall look to be. That's why it looks weird at this point. I removed wine boxes that were on each side of the island. I am aware that it will need some type of structure to hold the cabinet top.

I have 4 fans in my house. Two are over the living room and 2 are over the kitchen. Do you think it would be best to remove (one or two fans) from the kitchen to hang pendant lights over the island? Photo included of the ceiling area.

Questions:

Is this island a good size for the area? Can the island go past the fridge up to the wall? Seating will be on one side. That's not how I wanted it, but it was too wide by putting two chairs on the end (just wanted it that way so you can face the people on the side you're talking to). The island has a microwave, pull out trash can, deep drawers for pots and pans, drawers for cooking utensils, etc.

To the right of the island (South) and end of the island (West/living room area) is just empty areas where I could put my dining table. Which side would you put the dining table? If it should go West of the island, what should I do w/the area that is South of the Island?

What would you do for the counter tops...Would you do wood counter on the island or along the wall? The other counter top will be Quartz. I am concerned about water w/wood being around the sink.

Would you do a faucet w/a separate sprayer? What about the sink itself? I was thinking of an undermount (I hate my top mount), but this weekend I saw a sink I liked at Ikea. What do you think?

Photos attached. Thank you for any help. I know its a lot, but I have a lot of decisions to make before I move onto purchasing the cabinets.

Sink I saw this weekend. I like the chunkyness of it, but I've never had a sink like this so not sure of the pros and cons.

I like the idea of this set up. My current one, the sprayer is in the faucet and I always have issues w/it hanging down and not going back up into the faucet. I think Id rather pull it up like this.

Birds eye view.

# 14 and #17 were removed.

North wall. Range, sink, dw.

Left is the East Corner Wall. On the other side of the door is the East Breakfast/Coffee bar wall.

Island

This was the final by the KD I hired. The chair on the West end was supposed to be next to the other chairs. This design has been corrected since. The KD wasn't listening to me and things had to be corrected after I released her from the design.

As the drawing looks currently and after I removed the wine holders from the island.

This is a marked up view of the kitchen with additional measurements. Where should the dining table go?

Ceiling view over island. I think by looking at this, we will be needing to get rid of the fan. Im ok w/that.

Comments (43)