SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aspen75

Hollow fireclay farmer sink--a problem or not?

aspen75
2 years ago

I've been hunting for a new farmer sink made of fireclay and I finally found EXACTLY what I was looking for: https://www.americanstandard-us.com/kitchens/kitchen-sinks/avery-33x20-inch-single-bowl-apron-sink-49952#

But I see in the installation drawings that it is hollow side-walled, not solid fireclay. Is that an issue?? I've seen other makers advertising their solid fireclay as a plus. American Standard seems like a solid name sinks, etc. so I imagine they would not put out an incredibly fragile product...?? That's the only thing missing from perfect. I'd love to find out it's not the biggest deal :)

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I'm not a fireclay fan. It's delicate and irreparable.

• aspen75
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Joseph Cornett, what white sink material is repairable? I have enamel over cast iron now, and assumed I was stuck with chips...interested to know! I do not want a stainless steel sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

You may be able to get a dent out of a stainless steel sink and you can certainly abrade away marks and small chips from solid surface sinks, however, a chip in fireclay is catastrophic. It is very ugly and unsanitary. You could keep some typing fluid on a chip in cast iron. The color in composite sinks goes all the way through, so they're bad, but not the end of the world.