SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryansinon

Is this wood filler around a window?

ryansinon
2 years ago

I'm in the middle of stripping paint from the wooden frame of stained glass window. The paint is coming off nicely but where the glass meets the wood, I've discovered a layer (?) of some kind of tough, but not rock hard, material. The material is blue-gray and I can carve/scrape it away with a blunt edge. My plan was to strip the frame down to the wood for a clean surface to paint but I'm not sure what to do with this new discovery.

You can see in the photos that the material is not applied in a straight line -- it's wavy along the edge of the stained glass leading. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this? Leave it alone? Remove it (if so, how)? Maybe sand it? If I have to keep it, I'd like to try and give it more of a finished look. I would appreciate an expert's opinion -- thanks!

-Ryan

PS: Not sure if this is important to note, but the window will be hung inside a bedroom; it was once an exterior window but the pervious owners of my home renovated and turned it into an interior window. It will still open on hinges, even though it will be indoors.

Comments (8)