SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrcb

backyard garden landscaping remodel

linda boyd
2 years ago

Dear Houzz-mates,

I am in summer three of indecision about which design and materials to use for my backyard remodeling project. I have an existing Trex deck that is staying as is but I want to replace everything else (surround lawn, planting beds, concrete paver patio, etc. During the last two years, I have replaced an old privacy fence with a new cedar one based on several Houzz photos; and I replaced windows in the sunroom facing my yard with new French-style windows that open into the yard.

I want to move the patio from the other side of the (not very large city) backyard to adjacent to the deck (to allow social distancing for groups that are now separated by being either on one side if the yard on the deck or across the yard on the patio) and in front of the new window.

My house is a red brick Georgian colonial. I want a simple, tailored formal style with lots of functionality for me to plant pots and herbs without bending over as I am getting older --- raised beds. I am currently focused on settling on a design for the design layout and the hard materials. Historically, the materials used have been concrete flagstone and brick. The decking and fence provide the softness of wood, but I am open to adding more cedar that matches the new fence.

I have found it very difficult to find design help so I am reaching out to the Houzz community, yet again.

Linda Crane Boyd
Jackson Park Highlands
Chicago

Comments (12)