SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aspen75

On the longevity of factory painted cabinets...

aspen75
2 years ago

I like light-painted kitchen cabinets just like a lot of other people do these days, but have blacklisted them for my new kitchen because my family wears a kitchen pretty hard, and I have a gut feeling they will end up chipped and peeling and not looking good as long as a wood cabinet will. So, we've been planning natural cherry instead. However, paint just makes every other decor choice so straightforward, and I wonder if I'm overthinking and should just go for what I love and throw my practical thoughts to the wind (not that cherry isn't also beautiful, but with wood floors, the cabinets + floors get a bit much to my eye). Am I right that even factory painted cabinets (Ultracraft) will not wear as well? I'm imagining how much water we tend to have from the sink on the cabinets below...a disaster for paint, right? (And, yes, also for wood, but damage won't show as badly.) Thanks for the input. Also, how crazy is it that covering up beautiful natural wood with a coat of paint costs more than clearcoating. That's weird to me.

Comments (13)