SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

A few pics of roses in the garden

Here are some more photos taken by DD a few days ago, along with some I posted on Carol's Gallica and Damask threads. Not the best pictures technically, but it's what's we can do with the camera we have. These are close to the house and down in the shade garden.

'Felicite Perpetue' tumbling down the escarpment. Very thorny, very tough. I have a number of ramblers of Sempervirens or R. arvensis ancestry, totally confused as to names, all white to pale pink, once-flowering, vigorous, unkillable: this is probably the best known of the group. I imagine cuttings would root easily, but have never dared attempt it as I have no place for any roses I might obtain.

It's rambler season! 'Brenda Colvin' scrambling up a dead black locust and an ex-Christmas tree.

Roses on the balcony of the second building. 'Jaune Desprez' in front has finished its first flush and is putting out some modest new growth; behind it is 'Noella Nabonnand', which has been flowering for weeks and is still going strong, owing likely to our prolonged damp, cool spring. NN makes long, lanky growth to ten feet/three meters or more, and has wonderful flowers, large, fragrant, of an intense pink-purple (that sounds unappealing: I really don't know what to call this vivid color: fuchsia?): a fine rose.

An exuberant 'William Lobb' down in the shade garden, growing with support. Once-flowering Moss, this is having a good year, the flowers larger than I remember and very purple indeed. A gardener in a temperate climate who wanted a moderate purple rambler might consider WL. This is growing in a rather cool and shady area and is by far the best of the three plants I have of this variety. Own root.

That's all for now, folks.

Comments (21)