SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyosue58

Why Kitchen Corner Cabinets?

wyosue58
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I do not like corner cabinets in my kitchen. How can I get around designing my kitchen without corner cabinets?

I will have windows on the north side of my kitchen with a sink, base cabinets, a cooktop with a range hood, and a door going out to a patio. I am not sure what other items will be there. This wall will be 25' long. The west wall will be my refrigerator or my baking center, and the Wall oven with microwave above.

I know many Kitchen Designers insist on corner cabinets but I don't want to feel "Backed into a Corner".

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit:

Thanks for your comments, our kitchen was going to be on the northwest corner of the house but we have moved it to the center back part of the house. It will be an open concept kitchen with our pantry on the southwest corner of the kitchen, an island in the center, and a dining table on the east wall of the kitchen.

Comments (182)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Amanda Abbott

Thank you for your post. Your kitchen is beautiful. What size is your island?

I did not know that system (LeMans) had a name. That is something else to consider. I watched some videos and it seemed to take more movement to get the shelving out than just opening a drawer or turning the lazy susan.

The drawers measure 15' wide and they are 28 inches from front to back, the middle drawer and bottom drawers are 7.5 inches deep.

Did you mean 15 inches? I thought I had taken a photo of the diagram that Katie showed me of the cabinet but it was of an upper cabinet.

I know what you mean--I don't want to bend over if I don't have to. In fact, if I got down on my hands and knees I would not be getting up any time soon.

In one of the photos I posted, I have my appliance garage cabinet on the right of the cooktop and the Baking Center cabinet on the left of the cooktop. I really want to combine them into one cabinet but that would make it pretty wide. Then I don't know what I would do to the cabinet on the left to balance. I could use it for cooking spices and a place for utensils but it might look unbalanced.

Since I am not doing upper cabinets around the sink and cooktop I need to find a place for dishes, glassware, etc. Also, right now I have a pantry by the breakfast area where I have snacks, baking supplies, and my husband's cereal. I have always had upper cabinets and it will not be easy to get used to not having them. Do get me wrong--I am glad that I won't have them but it will be an adjustment.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Amanda Abbott

Have you ever seen this done for a corner cabinet? In my program, there was a corner cabinet with one drawer and a door. I just replaced the door with drawers. It is probably not something that can be done. I don't know if the drawers on each side will get in the way.

I forgot to post the photo. I don't know if you can tell that the middle bank of drawers is on an angle.

• Related Discussions

kitchen corner cabinet: lazy susan or magic corner pull-out?

Q

Comments (18)
    "...corner susans...don't quite look like the rest of the kitchen..." Huh???? They looked just fine in our old kitchen w/partial overlay doors. Our lazy susan was the only thing in our kitchen that looked and performed as well at demo as it did at installation 13 years earlier. I wholeheartedly recommend corner susans. As to stuff falling off, if your cabinets are made so the back and side walls closely follow the contour of the round shelves, there are no problems. However, I don't know if all cabinetmakers, especially small custom shops, are able to (or willing to) make them that way. We had that kind (curved walls) in our old kitchen w/builder-grade cabinets...and that susan was great! It held all our pots & pans, colanders, cake & pie tins, and various serving pieces. Everything was in front...you simply rotated the susan, the doors rotated inside, and you stopped where the item you wanted was...and it was right in front of you...no digging around for things. Nothing ever fell off. The hardware worked smoothly the entire 13 years. No taking up aisle space in front of the cabinet when open. No door-banging b/c the door was attached to the susan (like Marcolo's picture). Be aware that if you store smaller items on a blind corner pullout and something falls off, you will have to crawl inside to retrieve the item b/f you will be able to close it. My KD strongly discourages blind corner cabinets b/c of all the complaints she's gotten from customers who insisted on them and then later regreted them. (I thought they looked "cool" the first time I saw them and asked about them. After she showed me how they work, told me about the pitfalls, and told me about all the complaints she's gotten, we decided not to get one.) Other good uses of corners: Drawers (Plllog's kitchen) Corner sink bases (b/c under sink storage is usually poor so you combine them to give you better storage everywhere else.) Installing a 27" or 30" cabinet and turning it 90 degrees to face the back side of the corner...but this only works if the back side is open, like in a peninsula. Yes, some people love their blind corner units, but, to me, they're a "last resort" option...only if absolutely nothing else works. YMMV
    ...See More

Corner Cabinet in Kitchen

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, myABCkids -- As you noted, our designs sound very similiar, although you seem to have even more space overall. So, yes, I think you already have enough storage without extending the corner to the counter, as your DH wants to do. I am also trying to figure out what to do in my upper corner, but I definitely do not like the tambour/appliance garage idea in that corner. I agree with your instinct that the look may be dated, and I think you will also want to keep that space for prepping -- even a bowl of ingredients waiting to go on the cooktop would be crowded out by the "appliance garage." However, I love the idea of the hutch at the end of your long wall of cabinets! The hutches that folks have posted here are really attractive, and functional, as well. If you do keep a corner diagonal cabinet (I'm probably going with a 90 deg angle on the corner, but it's a matter of preference), then you could have a flip down mount for a small flat screen TV, which could be up and out of the way when you're not using it. As another option for handling small appliances, would you consider putting them in a corner base lazy susan cabinet? You could get most of your small appliances on one shelf, and maybe use the other for big bowls, etc. that are awkward to fit anywhere else. Just a thought! Good luck with the planning. I'll be interested to see what you choose to do -- especially as I sit today and ponder my "corner" options. Here is a link that might be useful: Example of flip down mount for under cabinet flat screen TV
    ...See More

Hickory Floor in Kitchen? Why or Why not? What cabinets?

Q

Comments (20)
    momto4inor, you can just right click on the picture and save it directly on your hard drive. Then, just print it up. I've done this many times to add GW pictures to my growning scrapbook of ideas. I like the hard copy so I can write directly on the pictures. DH is extremely visual too, so when I present a new idea, I've got to have a picture. He gets frustrated with me if I try to give a verbal description. I have hickory floors in my entry way installed by the previous owner. We're planning to extend them to the kitchen and family rooms, eventually. Mine are engineered. They are a product from Shaw called Vicksburg, the color is maize. We're going with a creamy white cabinet, but mostly because I bought them 2nd hand, so not a lot of conscious decision making, more like happy accident. The hicory does have many tones in it, so you probably have a lot of wood tone choices. If you have a flooring sample, keep it with you when you decide on cabinet finish, etc. Here is a link that might be useful: Shaw Vicksburg Hickory
    ...See More

Kitchen cabinet corner cabinet?

Q

Comments (8)
    Saw this on a site that another poster recommended, and thought it looked fairly clever: Corner Drawer Cabinet Another way to use a corner is to fill it with drawers. Some complain that drawers waste space. We disagree. A bank of four corner drawers provides as much usable space as a two-shelf lazy susan configuration. And the space is much, much easier to get to. We dislike doors on lower cabinets for a variety of reasons  and this dislike extends to doors hiding lazy susans rather than shelves. (For more information, see Mise en Place: What We Can Learn from Commercial Kitchens.) Nor are these drawer banks necessarily expensive. While the v-shape drawer front shown is striking and unusual, a standard drawer cabinet turned 45 degrees makes an effective corner storage unit at very little cost. Here is a link that might be useful: Corner Drawers
    ...See More
  • Amanda Abbott
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame Thank you so much...We are still getting organized and finishing the details..someday it will be DONE.

@wyosue58 I have not seen that. Our island is 75.5 x 33...Its absolutely perfect..It has a garbage pull out, a bank of 30" drawers? and a standard microwave with a drawer underneath. 24" deep cabinets and we had them build out the back side of the island. our kitchen is not wide enough for counter stools, which is fine because we have an eat in kitchen and a formal dining room.

Yes, I meant 15" wide :)

Instead of garages which take up lots of counter space you could consider putting them in your pantry instead?

Your idea of a very large range area reminds me of what I see in European kitchens...Check out Humphrey Munson...amazing.

I am attaching my pantry area photos too...instead of just giant cabinets we did a stack of drawers and then a large pantry cupboard on either side. ..and then I also had built a coffee station for our beloved coffee stuff that we use multiple times a day...if I had the space as well I would have considered a breakfast cupboard like in the UK...Just some more thoughts for you. :)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Amanda Abbott

thanks for the photos. I love your things.

I was going to put my small appliances in the pantry and a sink, microwave, dishwasher, freezer, and on and on. I have had the Baking Center and Appliance Garage all over the kitchen but as I have been baking and using my instant pots in my present house all of them work better for me close to the sink and dishwasher but I want them hidden.

My present house has no storage and 3 very small areas for pantry-type things so I want everything in one place.

The spacing around the cooktop is not done. I have reduced the size of the kitchen and I know it still needs a lot of work.

Thanks again,

EDIT:

What size are the tall cabinets on each side of your fridge? What size is your fridge?

I don't know if you answered this but high tall are your ceilings? Thanks

• tumbleweedjacq
    2 years ago

Don’t know if this will be useful, but I’m currently designing our kitchen remodel. I’m eliminating our base cabinet lazy Susan and replacing it with a window seat and a new window. I like to watch my wildlife too. 🙂

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tumbleweedjacq

Do you have a picture of the layout? I am not sure if I understand.

I saw one design that had a wall of windows with the dining table in front of the windows but had the sink on the island and since I have cut down the size of my island 3 times--I don't want to lose any more surface space.

Thanks, I just watched 2 Antelope bucks walk down the middle of our road. The other day I saw the first baby Antelope of the season--but of course, I did not have my phone with me to take a quick photo--mama and baby are really fast. I like your smiley face--how did you do that? Thanks again.

• tumbleweedjacq
    2 years ago

Let’s see if I can do this right.....hopefully my picture shows up in my post here.......

anyway, this is my very amateurish and incomplete design of how I want my new kitchen. There where the window seat is used to be our old lazy Susan. It served me well for 28 years and yet I grew to hate it. So we’re opting for more and bigger windows on that wall (the sink wall......southern exposure) and the window seat.

By the way, the blob in the middle is an island that we’re creating ourselves. It’ll be a bit of a Frankenstein’s creation as we’re using two old desks and a reclaimed mantle from an old Victorian home.......we’re big into DIY and I’m one of those furniture restoring/painting people. 🙂I use the emoji button on my phone for smileys.....🙂

We’re set to meet with a designer on Friday and I’m sure they’ll be things she’ll say I can’t do or must do differently, but this is a start.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tumbleweedjacq

Thank you for the drawing. What is the size of your kitchen. I am glad it is you doing DIY and not me--those years have gone for me. I am lucky I can get my quilting done. I used to design quilt patterns too. My first one is called Ribbons & Bows Hope for a Cure for persons dealing with Cancer.

Right now I have to do things that my husband used to do and I am not handling that well.

Thanks again.

• tumbleweedjacq
    2 years ago

Including our more formal dining area (not shown in the drawing) the square footage is roughly 550. We moved our living room to the basement so we could enlarge the kitchen. It should flow so much better once we’re done.

I don’t know your situation. I’ve only just started delving into this website. But I feel a bit of a kinship to you. My husband was recently diagnosed with a condition that will eventually take him from me. It will affect him both pysically and mentally. We’re busy trying to tie up the loose ends of our lives so that eventually when he needs my constant care it will, hopefully, be my sole focus.

I’m very sorry you have so much on your plate. I bet you’re handling it better than you think. We don’t know each other, but if you were here, I’d give you a hug.

Keep the faith and take care.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tumbleweedjacq

Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry about your husband too.

The reason I am building a new house is because of our stairs and walkout basement. It is not safe for either one of us. I want everything on one level.

Another reason I have had so many issues with my design is that I was trying to make things as familiar as I could for my husband.

Thank you again. I would give you a hug too.

I have been working on my kitchen all day with some issues that I am not sure how to fix them. I will try to post something later.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know I have a long way to go but I think I am getting closer. I am not sure what to do with the southwest corner near the pantry or by the area near the coat closet. I am also going to make the pantry more narrow. I might be able to turn the island and dining table. I know this layout is not triangle compliant but hopefully, it will work or someone can give me some suggestions.

The cabinet on the right side of the 36" refrigerator is 18" wide next to the east wall and I am not sure that is wide enough so the fridge door won't hit the wall. I have fillers on both sides of the cabinet so that should be okay.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Okay, so I didn't see any reason why you couldn't have standard cabinets/countertop on the SW corner of the kitchen, so I put a purple box there.

In order to ensure 3' of passageway space (green line) around the table as you enter the kitchen, a corner cabinet/shelves/baker's rack/whatever would have to go there (not ideal, but perhaps better/perhaps worse than blank space).

I strongly dislike the fridge being the first thing that anyone sees when the front door opens; it may or may not bother you, but I thought I'd point it out, just in case. <3

The refrigerator is way too close to the table.

As you mentioned, the island would need tweaking, bringing it further away from the sink and cooktop.

One last thought: Since it is a hard requirement to prep facing the window, it seems you are stuck on a tiny little 18" sliver of counter to the left of the sink, in this plan. :-(

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Thank you for your comments and you are right on so many levels. I don't like the fridge in the corner but was trying to get it close to the sink. I was trying to put the french slider in but it makes everything else crowded. Also, it is at the opposite end far away from the table.

I would still like to have a wall of windows with the dining table in front (on the north wall but I really don't want the sink on my island. Would it work if I had windows and slider or door on the north wall and cabinets on the west wall, east wall, and south wall?

I was trying to figure out how to bring the panty walls in but I have not gotten that far. Also, the coat closet size might be off.

I guess--back to the drawing board. I so appreciate your help and opinions--it really gets my brain thinking.

Edit:

The fridge with a small pantry on the side was from Amanda's design. I really botched that up, didn't I???

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I decided to draw just the kitchen, pantry, and coat closet and lay it out the dining table and windows and door on the north. This is a dollhouse view but the east wall is too far away and there is not enough room between the table, island, and south wall appliances. I could remove the coat closet and move the south wall down and move the east wall appliances in. I don't know if the appliance arrangement.

Thanks,

• wiscokid
    2 years ago

Is that where the coffeemaker is going to live? Perhaps I make too much coffee, but it looks annoying to fill the water, empty/rinse the carafe, filter basket etc., from inside the pantry?

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@wiscokid

I just put the coffee maker and instant pots in the pantry to get them out of the way. I did put one instant pot next to the mixer.

If I do the Baking center next to the sink that is where the coffee pot, mixer, and instant pots will go. I don't drink coffee any longer so it is for my husband. I feel the same way about my instant pots--I don't want to be hauling water across the kitchen.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

At the very beginning of this thread, it was made plain that the sink MUST face the north windows, that it was *required* to be physically facing the windows at the sink. Is that still the case? The most recent plan lacks that very important element...? Did something change, or was it an oversight? :-)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

At the very beginning of this thread, it was made plain that the sink MUST face the north windows, that it was *required* to be physically facing the windows at the sink. Is that still the case?

You are so right. about the sink. If I have the table in front of the wall of windows hopefully that will be okay. I do not want the sink in the island and really don't want corners.

One issue I am having with the layout is (I have changed it from the dollhouse layout) the sink is on the east wall and the cooktop is on the west wall.

Right now I am trying to get it to work so I have the windows and sliding french door on the north wall and maybe I can easily turn to the north just in case I see a baby antelope like I did the other day. I want my Baking Center near the sink for my instant pots, mixer, and coffee maker. In the new layout, I have tall cabinets on the north wall--east and west to balance the look but not sure I need them but do need somewhere for cereal and snacks.

I know there are things wrong with this--like the south wall (one of the wall ovens and another cabinet and countertop). If I removed those 2 cabinets then I would have a blank wall.

Edit:

What would it look like if I removed the tall cabinets on the northwest and northeast corners and put small windows instead?

This is my sample with tall cabinets removed and small windows added.

Thanks

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I'd move the pantry door closer to the coat closet, and have L-shaped cabinets there. Then place the fridge on that wall instead of where you have it now. Also get a counter depth fridge, or better yet, a built-in if you have the budget.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Thanks for your comments. In my original plan (a long time ago) I actually had a walk-through with openings on each end. The side entrance into the pantry is easy access from the garage and then a short distance to the kitchen island.

Someone suggested filling in space with the coat closet on the end. Originally I was going to put it in the Laundry room or close by but I have had to cut down room sizes.

I thought the fridge is supposed to be near to the sink. The last time I checked--Counter Depth Refrigerators have been on backorder and no estimated date for availability.--at least for the brand that I want to purchase.

Does L-shaped involve corner cabinets? If so, that is what I am trying to get away from.

I just noticed the pantry cabinets are distorted.

I thought about putting one of the wall ovens where the fridge is located but I did not think that would be a good place when you enter the kitchen.

Thanks again,

EDIT:

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

If I moved the pantry doorway how would you make this an L-shape? On the left wall are my cooktop, fridge, single french door wall oven. On the right wall are my sink, dishwasher, baking center, and microwave. Originally I had 2 single french door wall ovens. I also took one of my single french door wall ovens out.

Thanks again.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

One thing I did not take into consideration--are the windows going to interfere with chairs placed on the covered porch? In the very beginning, I needed room for my husband's swing but now that is not an option to be considered but it would be nice to have a few chairs on the porch.

Also, I think you and I discussed putting the glass cabinets in the wall--what if we did it on the south kitchen wall? They would be cut into the pantry wall where they are located now. Or have them set up with countertops like they are set up in the pantry only as part of the kitchen?

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

How much time do you have to sort this all out? :-)

The reason I ask is, it seems that priorities are changing so much, that there isn't any real direction to go, so it's kinda going everywhere. A few *very firm* decisions need to be made, so that the design process can move forward.

We can't help if we don't know the firm parameters/limitations of what you want. If you don't quite know what you want (especially until you see it), then that's okay; it's helpful to know that ahead of time. <3

So, my question is, how much time do you have to make these decisions? Are you on a specific time crunch (like a bank's deadline), or is there a lot of time to explore ideas?

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Yes, things are changing every day and I am on a deadline. The builder needs to start by August before bad weather hits. He can work on the inside in the winter.

If you don't quite know what you want (especially until you see it), then that's okay; it's helpful to know that ahead of time. <3

#1 If at all possible I want windows on the north side and the dining table in front of those windows. But--did you see my post about the windows and chairs in front of those windows.

#2 If I can see through windows with the sink on either the east wall or west wall that is okay.

If possible, I want my instant pots, mixer, and coffee maker near the sink.

#3 I don't know exactly what I want until I see it. As you know, I have laid things out a certain way thinking it looks good, and then someone brings up the point that my idea was not so good.

If I put some appliances on the west wall and some on the east wall I seem to have lost the triangle.

I am having an issue with my eyes which does not help the situation. They are so dry and it is difficult to focus.

I am trying to plug along but not making much progress.

Thanks,

• HU-983896710
    2 years ago

I once had a kitchen that could have had a corner cupboard. But since the back wall of the cupboard was against a wall that separated the kitchen from the adjoining room, the designer made a built-in cupboard in the adjoining room. So, no corner cupboard anywhere!

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-983896710

Thanks for your comments. Do you have any photos that you could share?

Thanks again.

• HU-983896710
    2 years ago

Sorry, no photos. I had this kitchen before our phones were cameras. : )

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-983896710

Thanks

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I have thought long and hard about everything you have said to me. The wall of windows solves 2 issues. 1. I don't need the breakfast nook 2. We have a great view to watch the wildlife. The only downside is--are the windows going to be in the way of putting chairs on the porch or are the chairs going to be in the way of the windows?

This is one of my layouts with 2 single ovens on the south wall but of course, it leaves a blank wall of the west side.

As much as I hate microwave drawers "IF" I put one in the island and put both single ovens on the south wall with a cabinet in between would this layout come close to the triangle? The only reason I am even thinking of the drawer is with the pull-down door (which I like very much) am I still going to be able to reach in to clean with ease?

Or if I move the fridge to the east wall next to the baking center and the ovens to the west wall next to the cooktop, would that work? That would still leave the south wall blank. I really am trying.

I even tried layouts with the hutch set into the wall or the hutch with countertop but that did not seem to work either.

I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

The only downside is--are the windows going to be in the way of putting chairs on the porch or are the chairs going to be in the way of the windows?

Your porch is 12' deep. Chairs should not be a problem. :-)

[RED line] Do you ever make pasta? Or anything else that requires draining a pot from the cooktop, into the sink? These kinds of tasks are dangerous, especially in households where young children or pets can get underfoot, or where mobility is limited due to injury, disability, or advanced age. This is not safe. PLEASE do NOT do this.

[Green line] This is taking veggies out of the fridge, rinsing them off in the sink, and then chopping them either to the side of the sink by the dishwasher (so you can see the wildlife), or having your back to the table/windows/wildlife while you chop at the island. And *then* moving those veggies to the soup pot. I do not think you would be happy with this setup. The major kitchen players should not be spaced 16'+ apart, requiring you to zigzag back and forth. :-(

Exercise is healthy and good for you, but the kitchen is NOT the place to get it. :-(

I'll ask this question again.... Is an empty island in the kitchen strictly necessary? If you prep next to the sink or the cooktop, and you can lay out quilts in your well-appointed sewing room, why is an empty island even needed in the kitchen? Your kitchen will be much safer if you move your sink close to the fridge and cooktop, like this previous idea (which gives you a wall of glorious windows, too!), based on Mark's and Lyfia's suggestions:

The island in this plan can be widened to 48" instead of the currently-drawn 36". The microwave can (and should) be moved closer to the fridge. Your workspace is compact, safe, and the views are enjoyable. Your storage is amazing. Please reconsider something like this, or taking this plan to a Kitchen expert and getting his/her input on it. :-)

You know what? I think I'll tag MamaGoose to come help me, lol!!!

@mama goose_gw zn6OH - Honey, we need your help, please! :-D

Edited to add: Miss Sue, is the biggest problem (with the plan that I just reposted) that the instant pots won't have an appliance garage immediately next to the sink? What do you think of adding a smaller prep sink on the west wall OR swapping the sink and cooktop on the island?

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

[RED line] Do you ever make pasta? Or anything else that requires draining a pot from the cooktop, into the sink?

As usual--you are right.

I do not make pasta on the stove but do make it in my microwave--that is why I am rethinking the microwave drawer. That would not be safe either.

I'll ask this question again.... Is an empty island in the kitchen strictly necessary?

I would prefer nothing on my island. "IF" the sink is on the island--how am I going to get water to my Instant pots (pressure cookers). Can the sink and cooktop be on the same wall?

Maybe I could do the L-shaped and move the opening to the Pantry. If I have all of my cabinets on the west and south walls, maybe I could put the hutch on the east wall but that seems to be wasted space.

This is my practice plan--I cannot believe that I am even entertaining putting the sink in the island. I have never had a single bowl sink (the one I have right now is 36" wide) so I don't know if I could get one 33" wide. I put the dishwasher and trash bin there too but then it makes the island longer. I don't know what to do with the other side. The center is 36" H x 36" W x 18" D with tall doors for my cookbooks. The other two are 27"W so I don't know what to add or change.

In the northwest corner is an appliance garage.

I still don't what to do with the southwest corner.

I could try to put this on the east wall. This is the built-in one. I really am trying and even though you might not think so---I really do appreciate your help.

Your porch is 12' deep.

The size of the porch continues to change. I think it is 10' deep now.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Can the sink and cooktop be on the same wall?

I don't see why not! :-D

Purple boxes are cabinetry/countertop.

Edited to add: Other edits are necessary; the island needs to be reduced in length/shifted down because there isn't enough space between the window/sliders and the side of the island, but this quick edit should give you a rough idea. :-D

Oh and the dishwasher is to the left of the sink (purple box between the sink and appliance garage). Wall ovens to the right of the cooktop.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Thanks for your comments. What program are you using where you can move things in my plan?

I just hadn't moved the island down. I am still not sure what to put on the backside of the island. Measuring from the window (37") and the (fridge 40") and if I get a smaller sink that will give a little more room.

I don't want the microwave that far from the table.

If the sink is on the island it will be close to the instant pots that are next to the cooktop. I just need to figure out what size and kind of sink. I have never had a large single sink.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Is this any better? There is a little space at the end but I can change that when I get everything arranged.

If I decide to put the hutch on the east wall (set in) I can rearrange the pantry.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

What program are you using where you can move things in my plan?

Microsoft Paint. :-D I just grab a screenshot of your plan, and then play around in Paint. I have a *very* limited understanding of the program, lol.

Is this any better?

Yes!!! <3 Especially if your microwave is on the south wall. :-)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Yes!!! <3 Especially if your microwave is on the south wall. :-)

The microwave is on the northwest corner. My thinking is that my microwave will be closer to the dining table, coffee maker, etc. I understand your thinking (I think) about it being closer to the fridge. If I move it down to the southwest corner would that be better? That is still a long way from the table to carry warmed-over coffee and food. You are probably going to say take out one of the ovens and put it on the southeast end--which I thought about. If I move the south wall in--then I have to shorten up my island where now I have the sink, dishwasher, and trash. I don't want the dw to be at the end of the island so I added a small cabinet. The side of the island that is showing is not the way I want it but I was trying to fit cabinet sizes in to match the length of the sink side.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

You are probably going to say take out one of the ovens [....]

Do you regularly *use* TWO ovens? If not, you're right, I would recommend getting rid of one, and moving the microwave here:

If you center the table on the island (strongly preferred), you will shorten the distance between the table and the microwave. If arranged this way, it should even be less distance than the currently-drawn microwave on the NW corner. :-D Win/win!!!

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Do you regularly *use* TWO ovens?

Yes, I have always cooked meals (different food items) at two different times and temperatures. To be honest, I have not done that for a while--because I HATE my replacement double ovens. I guess I don't want to short myself but the practical thing to do is one oven.

If you center the table on the island (strongly preferred), you will shorten the distance between the table and the microwave

I just had the table out of the way while I was moving things around. So I guess I should scratch the idea of put the hutch with a countertop on the east wall or even setting them into the wall like a built-in. What should I do with the blank east wall? This is what I was talking about putting one of the hutches on this wall. The one on the left would make the kitchen wider. The one on the right would take space out of the sewing room. I am okay with it being in the pantry.

EDIT:

Does it matter if the fridge is next to the cooktop or can the single oven be there and the fridge on the south wall?

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I think this is the layout I like the best. I am sure it is still not perfect but the oven is next to the baking center and the instant pots on the other side of the cooktop (northwest corner). That should be great for venting the steam close to the cooktop hood. The only thing I don't like is the coffee maker far from the water supply.

I am still not sure if I like the built-in hutch but I don't know what to do with the east wall. I still have adjustments to make on the island to shorten it up.

Thanks again for all of your help.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

Are the dimensions of the last picture with those built-in's there still the 20'3"x19'6" if so I don't think you have space for having those built-ins and it would be very tight. If a walker is ever needed you couldn't navigate that area at all. You also have a very tight space between sink and stove top. Not sure if you like being in a tight space like that, but when you have the Dishwasher open you won't be able to really walk past it.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lyfia

I still have some work to do on the layout. Right now the dimensions are 22' x 19.5'. I am going to have a dish drawer. Right now it is 46" between the sink and cooktop. I think the screenshot has distorted everything.

This is the layout. Ignore the pantry because "IF" I do the hutch in the kitchen the pantry layout will change. I hope this helps.

Thanks

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

I think this is the layout I like the best.

I am feeling much better about the safety of your kitchen now! <3

I am still not sure if I like the built-in hutch but I don't know what to do with the east wall.

If your Sewing room allows for it -- and if you would appreciate the sight lines/visibility between rooms -- consider doing a pass-through on the east wall, centered on the island. One that you can open and close as you wish. :-)

If that idea doesn't appeal to you, there certainly isn't anything wrong with leaving the wall blank for art and sconces, adding shallow shelves, or building niches between the studs.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If your Sewing room allows for it -- and if you would appreciate the sight lines/visibility between rooms -- consider doing a pass-through on the east wall, centered on the island. One that you can open and close as you wish. :-)

I am not sure I understand what you mean by a pass-through and where it would be located. Would the hutch still be there? That would be easy access to the kitchen from my sewing room.

Thanks,

Sue

EDIT:

Would it be impractical if I had the entrance to my sewing room from the kitchen? That would eliminate the hallway to my sewing room. Also, If I did that, maybe I could do away with the door going out to the porch. If I put a window in that spot, I could still see out to the porch and still have quick access from the kitchen.

EDIT: #2

This is what it would look like. I took out the hutch in the kitchen.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Would the hutch still be there?

Oh, sorry, I was offering alternatives to a hutch, since you mentioned not being sold on the hutch idea. :-) I was not envisioning a pass-through *and* a hutch.

I was kinda thinking that the pass-through might have a countertop on the sewing side, but just a cased, shuttered opening on the kitchen side. Assuming you don't have enough space for counters on the kitchen side. ;-)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Thanks, I took the hutch out and I have put a door where you said. After I asked about a pass-through I looked for photos and now understand what you are talking about. I am hoping a door to the sewing room will work. I should be able to remove the door from the sewing room to the porch which will give me more useable space in the sewing room. I hope this will be okay because I was not liking the hallway going to the sewing room.

Thanks again,

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Having a door swing into a room without something to rest against, at a 90* angle, can be cumbersome. Make sure the door to the sewing room is well-placed for that space, too. :-D

If it were me, I'd put pocket French doors in that spot. Seems like the perfect place for them!

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

If it were me, I'd put pocket French doors in that spot. Seems like the perfect place for them!

I had actually thought about a pocket door--I did not know they made pocket French doors. I will look into that.

Thanks

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I have looked at a video for pocket french doors and they have some that are soft-touch doors. I could not find the link from the video. I really like that idea. But from what I have read--you have to get an expert to install them.

In the layout below I put 48" wide french doors and tried to change my sewing room layout out. I have cut down my island but all it did was leave more open space. I also moved the coat closet to take up space by the 2nd bath and took some space out of my sewing room closet and moved 2 large cabinets in the closet (for quilt storage).

I decided to put cabinets (2 33" wide) in the spot at the end of the pantry but not sure that works. I don't want to cut the width in the pantry because right now it is 36" between the cabinets on the north and south wall.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

EDIT:

I changed it a little--Message center, Linen closet. On the east side is the coat closet.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

I have looked at a video for pocket french doors and they have some that are soft-touch doors. I could not find the link from the video. I really like that idea. But from what I have read--you have to get an expert to install them.

Have you asked your builder if he can do this for you? Or if he has a sub who can do it? If he can't, then standard pocket French doors are still great, and of course, regular French doors are nice, too. <3

In the layout below I put 48" wide french doors [....]

A lot of folks put in French doors, and then only use 1 side. If you see yourself only using 1 side and locking the other door, make sure you can comfortably fit through a 24" opening, while holding whatever you normally carry into the room. :-)

[...] and tried to change my sewing room layout out. I have cut down my island but all it did was leave more open space.

The island can be re-extended. I'd also move the sewing closet's door so that it is more accessible. See my edits below. ;-)

I also moved the coat closet to take up space by the 2nd bath [....]

I'd add a wall (red line) here, for added privacy when exiting the bathroom.

I'd also center the French doors on the island and table. (Black line)

I decided to put cabinets (2 33" wide) in the spot at the end of the pantry but not sure that works. I don't want to cut the width in the pantry because right now it is 36" between the cabinets on the north and south wall.

I'd extend the pantry wall to line up with the 2nd bath wall. This should give you a bit more space.

It's hard to tell, though, without the *entire* layout. Which is why it's better to work on a design as a whole, instead of piece by piece. :-D

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I made changes after I sent this.

I know what you mean about working on the whole house instead of piece by piece.

You and Mark and many others have been so much more help than the person that is supposed to be helping me. I am afraid to post the entire plan. I have my kitchen, laundry room, and most of the Master Bed/Bath the way I want them (sewing room is WIP). Also, I did a 3D view of the north side of the house, and the windows and doors are not centered within the covered porch.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

I am afraid to post the entire plan.

I totally get this; it's kinda scary, for sure. At this point in the thread, however, I doubt everyone will jump on your plans like they do when a new poster shows everyone the plans at the beginning of the thread.

If people make it this far, I would hope they would be more gentle. <3

Also, I did a 3D view of the north side of the house, and the windows and doors are not centered within the covered porch.

Post the elevation and the floor plan, and maybe we can help. :-)