SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_852835095

Adding a utility sink to old washer standpipe

Patrick Green
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello,

I am the furthest person from a plumber one can be, so forgive me if I sound ignorant in my wording or thought process. I'm looking to move a utility sink from my garage to my basement. Our washer and dryer was moved upstairs and the existing plumbing is still installed and functional.

If I cut down the existing stand pipe, and build a platform to raise the drain above the p trap, will there be any issues with this? My thought was to have the plumbing drop down from the sink a couple inches, then a straight pipe running back to the standpipe.

The pipe in the middle of the photo is the vent.

I was quoted over $1,000 for a plumber to do this, but it would be totally to code, and they were replacing a bunch of existing piping. The P trap and all that piping would be dropped below the part you can open in the bottom left of the photo (no idea what that is called). That's way more in depth then I want to do, just a quick functional fix is what I'm looking for.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Make sure you click the photo to see the whole image, as it's being cut off in the post

Comments (3)