SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_298011375

Windows:Quaker CityVu, Manchester, or something else?

HU-298011375
2 years ago

We are replacing 6 large windows (88”x52”), one standard window, and 2 sets of sliding glass. Our home was built in 1979/1980. It is modern/contemporary design. The original windows are aluminum and we get lots of ice on them in winter, one set has condensation between the glass, and the house is always very cold in winter and hot as heck in summer. Ideally I would like the greatest viewing space available on a budget. The original bid from window seller was for the Quacker CityVu which I love the minimal look. My husband is thinking we should go vinyl. We have also discussed the possibility of replacing them with fixed glass like we have in the entryway. I don’t believe the entryway glass are actually “windows” but sheets of glass with trim. I like the idea of picture windows and am open to the two section picture windows. I would be grateful for general advice and guidance. I have read some other posts of people being unhappy with Quaker Vinyl and we were looking at maybe the Manchester vinyl or actual sheets of glass with trim. I will post a variety of images: windows with ice and our home.

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Personally for an 88" x 52" window I would want something higher quality than anything Quaker., especially if you are thinking of vinyl. Where are you located as some of the better window manufacturers are quite regional.

• HU-298011375
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The Midwest

• Sam Burton
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My wife and I are building our home with oversized windows in the NE, and after much research of available products in our area (especially during COVID) Quaker CityVu windows met the thermal, structural, and air infiltration requirements for the large window spaces without mulling. For normal sized windows I would likely have gone with a high quality vinyl window as stated by many reputable window manufacturers and vendors on Houzz.

I was concerned by millworkman's comments on Quaker windows on my post a few months ago so I visited several local window shops, talked with my builder, and did a full dive into window construction. I am by no means a window expert, but after looking at the top line products of other window manufacturers, I can say that the Quaker CityVu windows specifically are as good if not better in terms of quality of framing material as the other manufacturers. Every window manufacturer has basic to high end windows for the most part. The windows are just solid. Further research shows that they get their glass from Cardinal which seems to be where most of the industry gets their glass packages. I went to the Cardinal website and reviewed their glass packages and essentially matched what the Cardinal tech advice for my climate (after discussing with my builder).

The warranty of Quaker windows is average. For the insulated glass, the warranty is 20 years. This seems reasonable. The urethane or silicone based sealants used generally start breaking down around 18 - 20 years mainly due to UV exposure. This is similar across the board for all windows with insulated glass. Most other window manufacturers tend to have a "lifetime" warranty, but that's mainly applicable to the first home owner and most aren't transferable. The fine print generally says 20 years for most windows.

The warranty on the Quaker CityVu thermally broken aluminum frame is variable depending on the finish. Quaker offers 3 coatings which have 5 (anodized), 10 (2604 finish), and 20 year (2605 finish) warranty's.

The Bad

Quaker definitely has a bad reputation on the internet. I see that this stems from: (1) customer service; (2) shipping and delivery of windows; and (3) lower grade window lines.

My builder expressed concern especially due to customer service and shipping and delivery issues. They were awesome and did their due diligence and asked their window vendors about Quaker and alternatives. Unfortunately, none of the vendors had alternatives to thermally broken aluminum windows in our area at a reasonable cost (this could be due to COVID supply chain issues). Some vendors expressed concern that they have had issues with customer service and warranty claims with Quaker.

A few vendors said that Quaker sometimes have quality control issues with shipment of the windows and some appurtenant pieces that go along with the window install. I think this can be mitigated by choosing a vendor that has a good relationship with Quaker, and has a direct contact to Quaker management which some vendors seem to have. However, it seems that it'll be a roll of the dice, and patience will be needed if some window parts come damaged during shipping and delivery.

I think Quaker CityVu windows are at a cost competitive price point. I think the CityVu "grade" is better than builder grade. Probably closer to architectural grade.

In any case, I recommend asking around your area and visit a Quaker vendor and check out the windows in person. I also recommend doing the same for other window manufacturers and finding the right window for your needs and budget. I have found window vendors to be very helpful, knowledgeable about windows, window packages, glass (certain coatings, panes, types dependent on air infiltration, thermal values, and the location of where the windows will be), and very loyal to the products their company sells. As a potential customer you need to ignore the brand positive or negative bias and focus on window construction quality, customer service, warranty, and the many other factors that go into purchasing windows for a home.

• oberon476
    2 years ago

For the insulated glass, the warranty is 20 years. This seems reasonable. The urethane or silicone based sealants used generally start breaking down around 18 - 20 years mainly due to UV exposure.

Not sure where you got the idea that the IG components start breaking down at 18-20 years.

Quaker uses the Cardinal IG system which does have a 20 year warranty to the window manufacturer. What the window manufacturer warrants to their customers is at their discretion.

The Cardinal IGU system, introduced in 1992, was originally projected to have a .25% seal failure rate over 20 years at the time of introduction. That system has now been in the field for 29 years and has had a documented failure rate of approximately .2%. The projection is for .5% at 50 years.

A few years back Cardinal introduced the Endur IGU system with improved thermal performance over the XL and at least the same long-term field reliability as the XL.

Cardinal currently has over 500,000,000 IGU's under warranty.

• Amalie D
    2 years ago

Hi, we're currently looking at Quaker CityVu windows for our 1976 house and I'm wondering if you used them, and what you think?

• Sam Burton
    6 months ago

A bit late. We’ve had the Quaker City Vue windows installed and living with them for over a year (not long enough). My wife and I love them. We live in the transition zone so this may not be helpful for others, but we have had no issues during the cold winter months. There is some condensation build up on the outside glass (not on the interior side or between the glass) during the summer months early in the morning. No condensation build up during the winter months.

We specifically went with fixed or casement only windows as the air infiltration for these windows are extremely low.

Outside of German / European made windows I have found the Quaker CityVue line windows to be of superior build quality. I cannot speak to any other line from Quaker.

We also made sure to have the windows installed properly. We used Prosoco liquid flash for the entire rough opening. After the window was installed, additional Prosoco liquid flash was used. For interior work, we decided to use backer rod, and caulk.

The results speak for themselves. Our home has an air infiltration rate of .7 ACH (and that’s with some of the sliding doors not being fully commissioned).

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals