SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aagarza

Talk me out of this kitchen/laundry layout! Or is it optimal?

A G
2 years ago

I received some great ideas posting here before, and I’m back hoping for more. A galley-style kitchen was previously suggested, and although it wasn’t what I’d originally envisioned, now I can’t get it out of my head!

This is for a remodel of our 1970s kitchen/laundry area. It’s also our entry from the garage, so I need to find or make a new ‘drop zone’ for my husband (I’ve got mine in another area).

This is the existing layout, with walls that we are willing to remove highlighted in yellow (load bearing one is indicated, but can be replaced with beam/posts)

Below is a rough drawing of the galley kitchen layout idea. The cabinet with the overhang/seating would be lowers only- I’m not sure if a different shape would be better?

We are trying to gain some openness to the kitchen, so this seems to provide that, while still giving lots of counter space and storage. But I’m no expert, so I’d love to hear feedback/criticism/other layout suggestions.

I should maybe note that my husband isn’t sold on the galley style and wants to completely open the space with an island (possibly relocate laundry to the garage). I don’t think that would be as functional, but maybe I’m wrong!

Comments (28)