SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Synthetic rubber, foam sandal footbed Repair? Cheapskate redux

petalique
2 years ago

Has anyone had success “mending” or reconstituting the synthetic or rubber plastic foam sole of a shoe?

since this photo was taken, the large tear has completely separated. Oop. Well, at least I wasn’t at the airport (as last time foam soled shoe failed).

I paid $20 at discount store and wore them for two years, mostly indoors and gardens, so I can’t complain. I ordered another pair, but they are “back ordered.” Price now $40.

Any success stories?

Comments (11)

• nicole___
    2 years ago

My husband's Keen boot's sole came apart. He used E-6000 glue, sold at Home Depot, about $6. I ordered a new pair of boots....but it worked so well...he's still wearing the old ones!

petalique thanked nicole___
  • lucillle
    2 years ago

Price now $40.

I bet Nicole, the Shopping Queen, can find it for you for less.

petalique thanked lucillle
  • petalique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One thing I’ve wondered — my bare foot will come into contact with it. So the material has to cure up, not melty goo. And I’d prefer it not poison me ;)

Nicole, I’ve heardof the E-6000 glue. Does it flex give when cured?

Eh! I just spotted them at Jeff’s. Only $25

Thanks Nicole and Lucille.

Why do I buy (rent to own) sandals that fall apart after a year or two? I have feetsie woes! These are foam. yet, still....

Upshot: my toes need Invisalign!

• nicole___
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes, it's flexible when dry. It won't poison you.....♥ I did purchase Merrell's instead of Keens tho. If they're now making them that come apart, I'm buying something else that's tried & true.

Lucille....that's funny! Your buying into my family lore. Grandma said be careful what I wish for, I would, without a doubt, get it.

petalique thanked nicole___
  • petalique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Nicole. I met a real “personal shopper” once at Home Goods. She also used to personally cook for people.

I like both Keen and Merrill foot ware. I wish I could buy some new feet.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    2 years ago

I often wear flip flops. (perpetual suntan on my feet from the straps) My biggest problem is the sole separating from upper and the straps pulling out of the holes. (Cheap Chinese glue?) I like the weight and feel of my Teva's but I think they should come with a tube of Shoe Goo.

My Sketcher Flip Flops turned into sponges when wet and quickly deteriorated but my Sketcher Slip-ons seem to be holding together and comfortable enough that I ordered a second pair.

If my soles started cracking and they looked worn down, I'd replace them.

petalique thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • petalique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Agree, maifleur! I have 4 pair waiting in the wings. Broken bones are nothing I Want. However, being a yankee cheapskate, I’ll see if I can jury rig this junk pair for solid house slippers. I used to like going barefoot, but no longer can. A decent podiatrist warned that no one should go barefoot (I imagine clean beach walks are okay)..

Richard, I used to love wearing flip flops, but have for issues that won’t allow me to wear them. And, sketchers casual shoes really irk me. The “memory foam” hype is nonsense. It collapses with any pressure like cheap white bread, never to rise up again. It has no structure. Don’t get me really started, but I’ll welcome a megaphone.

❗️News flash! Anyone else watch “My feet are killing me?” love those programs. Learn a lot. feel good seeing people able to walk better again.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

My go to for shoe repair is Lexel--in the caulk & sealant section at Lowe's. I've never used E6000 so can't compare.

Lexel

petalique thanked ci_lantro
  • petalique
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, ci_lantro. I’m writing that down as well.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

barge cement