SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanvark

kitchen sink location??? Also add/remove a wall by hearth room?

vanvark
2 years ago

I have a bit of an unusual layout as my kitchen is on the front of the house. This is due to the fact that the house is on 5 acres and I have as much land on the front as I do the back. That said, I am trying to decide whether to put the kitchen sink so that it looks out that front window, or if it should go on the island opposite the range. My refrigerator and freezers are towers and are on that front wall. There is a convection/steam oven and microwave that are around the corner from the range as you head into the back kitchen. Here are the thoughts I have on the sink:

PROS for island: it is convenient to the cook top and it is better for interacting with others in the kitchen as they can sit at the island and my back won't be to them as I prep/clean up. I enjoy talking with others while working. I can also see a tv in the great room and see out the front windows and the back windows all while at the island.

CONS for island: It interrupts a nice/clean island look. I also won't be able to fit bar stools on both sides of the island ( there is 4' between cooktop/island and 5' between front window counter and island). Also, a dishwasher and garbage can that opens from island cuts off the flow through the front of the range, yet I think 4' wide still allows room for people to get through even if dishwasher is open. While I have a nice view out the front of the house, that is the only view I have. At night it is just dark space, no tv and back to people in the room.

I have thought about 2 sinks (1 in each spot, or a prep sink in one spot), but I think all my pros/cons are the same and I still have to decide main sink/dishwasher.

Thoughts???

Second question is do we leave/remove the wall that is between the hearth room and the hall that leads to the mudroom (wall is the one at the bottom of hearth room where arrow points at the 16'8")?

PRO to leaving it: it adds distinction to the hearth room and leaves it more "cozy". The house is also VERY open and it is one of the few walls I have for adding art/pictures. The wall blocks the view from hearth room into the mudroom, although the section of mudroom you see is really just an entry from the friends and family entrance and shouldn't show a "mess".

CONS to leaving it: it is a long hall from mudroom/garage into the dining/kitchen area (14 feet). This gives a bit of a tunnel feel while entering.

I thought about removing 2-3 feet of the wall (by dining room) so that it shortens that "tunnel", but then you see from hearth room down the hall, and straight into, the office. I have tried to redesign entry into the office, but haven't had success.

I also considered something like open shelving wall that would somewhat distinguish the 2 spaces (hall and hearth room), yet not be so solid as a wall. That would take width out of the hearth room and would also need dusting. It also requires finding items to put on it that look good from both sides

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/feedback you have!

Comments (3)