SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Creating a new garden with awkward sun, limited water, and a slope

I have an area at the edge of my yard that's always been a problem child. This pic is with me standing right where the grass ends, at around 2pm:

I'm in zone 7A; western NC, in the foothills of Boone and a little west of Greensboro. Last week was in the 50s during the day and 30s at night, today is 75 degrees, and it's supposed to hit 90 by next week. I know, I know...

Last year I cut out some trees and larger limbs, but you can see that there's a power line going across the driveway so it's a challenge to take out that pine tree that's overhanging. The green you see in the upper right of the picture is where some tree stumps are throwing out suckers, and I'm going to cut them out this week and maybe try to dig up the stumps. I need to dig up some greenbrier sprouts, anyway.

On the left of the picture (which is East) there are large trees and woods from beyond my property. So the lower part of this area (South) gets dappled sun until 10am or so, direct sun (cooking) from 10 until around 12 or 1pm, then dappled sun / shade afterward.

The upper part (North, closer to where I'm standing) is mostly dappled sun or full shade all day.

I planted 3 rhododendron last year (two Roseum Nova and one Roseum Pink). The one in the area with more sun looked half-cooked today, the other two are doing well.

You can see that there's a slope down towards the driveway, and there's also a slope downward from where I'm standing to the road. So rain in the lawn tends to run off here, and either flows along the mondo grass patches to a large DOT ditch or, in heavy rain, washes across the driveway.

Where the green starts (below the power lines) is some sort of juniper that the previous owners planted. I don't really like it, though, and my attempts to help it spread have all failed.

If you were to proceed farther you would see that the bank turns to the right (West), and at that point there's nothing but weed that leads down to a heavily weeded DOT ditch. That area gets more full sun.

My thoughts

Since the 1 rhododendron isn't doing well in its location, I'm thinking about digging all 3 up and moving them to the top of the slope instead of the middle of the slope, and then maybe buying 3 more to fill in. This would be more of a full shade area, but if they grow well then they'll create a type of hedge to hide the wild woods.

Then I could pull out all of the juniper. THAT will be a chore; I've done that before in another area, and those roots are a nightmare! So I really don't want to do that without a good plan...

Next step, wipe out all of those weeds around the hill. That's the first thing people see when they come to my house so I WANT it to look better, but I'm not sure what kind of evergreen would do well there.

I have plenty of mondo grass, so I could plant a short hedge to follow the edge of the driveway. That might encourage run-off to flow behind the mondo grass to the DOT ditch, too. You can see that I have patches of mondo grass already; they do OK but not great, and there's also an issue with rabbits and deer eating them.

Then what? Maybe azaleas on the slope, between the rhodos and the mondo grass? Then a handful of flowering perennials in front of those, based on the sun?

A big challenge is that this is a pretty good distance from my house, and there's no irrigation set up. I would like to say that I would haul water manually, but when it's 90 degrees outside I know that I'm not doing that. So I need plants that can handle the sun levels here, do well with rain water and potential droughts, are deer / rabbit resistant, and are preferably evergreen so that it doesn't all wash away in the winter.

Any thoughts?

Comments (16)