SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Dining room flooring? Up North?

robo (z6a)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So if we stay in our house....and if we do a whole house reno...we will be replacing the flooring on the main floor.

My question is about dining room flooring! I live in Canada (chilly, damp climate). It is uncommon to have anything BUT wood in the main living areas of houses up here. But I am kind of tired of digging yoghurt and spaghetti sauce out of cracks in the hardwood. As well I find the hardwood gets pretty beat up with our chairs despite chair pads.

The photo is how the I think main floor should be laid out (approx) post-reno. The two interior north-south walls flanking the dining room are load bearing walls.

The foyer, bath and kitchen will all definitely have tough, water resistant flooring (LVP or tile). I have a lot of hardwood now in kitchen and mudroom and it's so impractical with the kid and the dog.

Living and family will have wood or wood-look flooring. Currently almost the whole first floor has a variety of maple that's been sanded/refinished a few times. I'm thinking I could repurpose the maple downstairs to the upstairs, which has 60 year old strip oak flooring currently. House style is bland postwar two story.

Your thoughts?

Comments (9)