SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_939966930

New Home Construction in Charleston, SC

HU-939966930
2 years ago

Hi, everyone - My wife and I are working with a small, local, semi-custom builder in Charleston, SC (actually Mount Pleasant which is a suburb immediately north of the city), and I wanted to run our current terms by you. We are working with a buyer's agent who has been marginally helpful but nothing to write home about. We're first-time homebuyers and very green, so thank you for any advice or input you can offer! I'll try to return the favor to others once I'm no longer a first-home homebuyer after this purchase. ;-)

--> What I'm specifically looking for is anything we need to watch out for as well as any possibility of negotiating upgrades which we are still selecting (as of May 2021). The base price and the lot premium are locked down in a signed contract, but we've been going back and forth on a number of options/upgrades.

Some background: The neighborhood is made up of 18 home sites mostly on wooded lots. It's a bit north of the busy Mount Pleasant downtown area, but only a few minutes drive to the best beaches. Our lot is fairly small at 0.14 acres, but that's okay because I don't want a big yard to take care of. This is comparable to the other lots in the neighborhood: nobody has anything bigger than 0.2 acres. There are protected wetlands/woods in the backyard and across the street from us, so lots of trees around, and the neighborhood is very quiet/secluded.

The house we are buying is 3,174 square feet (that's living space, heated/cooled under roof) and three levels: a main level, a second level with 4 bedrooms including master, and a third level with a large loft/bonus room and storage. It's elevated construction because the neighborhood is only about 1 mile from the sound which leads out to the Atlantic Ocean. The style evokes classical Charleston with some modern farmhouse elements, too. It's all very modern, open, and bright with lots of windows. Here is a rendering of our chosen elevation and plan:

The overall market in the Charleston area is currently very tight with an extremely limited number of resales available (below $650K), and builders actually cancelling new construction contracts and putting sales on hold until the cost of materials is better known. For instance, our house is the 8th to go under contract in the neighborhood, but the builder has suspended selling on the remaining 10 lots until they can get a better handle on their costs and margins. Within Mount Pleasant itself there is very little open land left to develop, so a lot of new construction has moved far to the north and west of Charleston in places like Summerville, SC.

In terms of the deal for our house, here are the financial terms:

• Base price = $562,990
  • Lot premium = $8,000
  • Total options/upgrades = $72,527
  • Total anticipated purchase price = $643,517
  • Price per square foot = $203 (not a great measure, I know, but can still be helpful)
  • Builder concessions: $5,000 to closing costs with their lender (confirmed no hidden fees or mark-up on the rate), threw in the garage door openers (n=2) which is normally a $1,000 option

I know many people are saying that only a fool would contemplate new construction in this market, but these houses are very competitively priced as compared to the available resales, and it doesn't seem we are paying any sort of premium to go this route. As a matter of fact, the resales even at the $650K price point are significantly older, smaller, or in need of extensive upgrades, so I think this is a reasonable deal considering the circumstances. The quality of this builder is considered locally to be very good.

In terms of my original questions:

1. What should we be watching out for as we proceed with this construction? We live locally, so I'm planning on visiting the site at least once a week until closing.
  2. What kind of ability might we have to negotiate with the builder on options/upgrades? As you saw above, we're sitting at $73K right now which is a lot of money. We have chosen options that are both important to us and should accrue to future resale value - for example, higher-quality and better looking kitchen cabinets, the finished 3rd floor loft/bonus room (vs. just a large attic), an upgraded master bathroom with a large walk-in shower and tile, a high-quality trim package (much nicer trim on all doors/windows/baseboards), solid core doors (vs. hollow core which is standard), and additional windows and lighting in key locations. We're also planning on living in this house for a long time, and I'm not the most handy person so I'd prefer to have some of this stuff done on the frontend.

I'm sorry for the length of this post but, as Mark Twain penned, "I apologize for such a long letter - I didn't have time to write a short one.” Thanks again for any help/advice you can offer, or even for reading this far! :-)

Comments (9)