SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymg200

New tree has black spots on leaves, spores or eggs on the shoot

ymg200
2 years ago

I have planted two Cleveland Pear trees 7 weeks ago. They were bareroot dormant trees about 5 feet tall. One tree is developing faster, while another one shows symptoms that I need help explaining.

First, there are black spots on leaves and shoots. What does this mean? Is it a disease, or a parasite?

I did remove a small caterpillar from this tree a week ago, which was eating tree leaves. Therefore, some leaves look eaten. Although, I can't tell whether the disease that shows as black spots is also eating leaves. What does it look like? What is a treatment?

The top of the tree:

Second, I see a bunch of egg-shaped things on one shoot. Are these some kind of spores, or eggs that could be from that caterpillar or another parasite? Is there a treatment from parasites that could be applied to a young tree like this? Should I wash these off the tree with water, or apply some treatment?

Here, you can see a bunch of tiny egg-shaped things covering the shoot from the middle to the end:

Here is the caterpillar that I removed from the tree a week ago. It was less than an inch long and had a bark color. If it wasn't sitting on top, it would have blended in with the tree.

Now that I look back at week old pictures, I see that black spots were already there. I can't tell therefore whether leaves were eaten by the caterpillar or by black spots, or both. Again, do I need to treat the tree from parasites?

Leaves are eaten and they also have black spots. The caterpillar is on the top:

Black dots on leaves look to me like caterpillar droppings:

What species is this caterpillar? Is it dangerous to trees?

I'd love my trees to thrive. Please help me to identify the issue with this tree.

Thank you.

Comments (6)