SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crbonade

Scion or Rootstock Growth?

Cassie (8b Southern AZ, high desert)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

TLDR; trying to decide if I should buy a new mandarin the next time I'm at the nursery.

I had an "oops" with a citrus tree (Murcott mandarin grafted on flying dragon root stock) that resulted in all of the branches scorching and dying, to the point where I pruned them back to nubs and let it sit to see if it would survive.

Now it is pushing out new growth fairly rapidly, but I'm not sure if it's growth from the scion or the rootstock. The grafts on my citrus trees are not nearly as obvious as the gafts on my other fruit trees, and since I'm fairly new to citrus I'm honestly not sure what I'm looking at.

I'm going to let the tree grow regardless (even if it's all rootstock now, then... I have a good healthy rootstock to graft to), but the nearest nursery that sells citrus is an hour+ away and I can't do mail-order (yay AZ shipping restrictions!) so if I want to get any new citrus I have to plan my trips. I'll be up there in a few weeks and will stop by the nursery to get a lemon tree, so if the consensus is that the mandarin' growth is probably rootstock then I'll grab a new mandarin while I'm there too...

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations