Do you have an OXO Good Grips salad spinner?

Jasdip

Hubby and I bought it, as I was less than thrilled with the one we had. It has a big black button you push down to make it spin. We both thought it would work great and be ergonomic.

I don't use the spinner often at all, but used it today for my spinach. Hmmm, I really couldn't get a lot of momentum out of it, and the spinach was still wettish.

Do you have one and do you like it?

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8

I have an oxo right now and I don't think it dries that well. What I did have years ago that was wonderful for salad for two was an herb spinner. Something generic and I no longer have it but leaves were nearly dry and crisp. So, I'm following, I'd really like an efficient salad spinner that works as its supposed to. Or I'll be going back to swinging lettuce in a kitchen towel ;0)

Save    
nickel_kg

I have one, have been pleased with it for a long time, at least 15 years. You say 'push down on the button' -- I'd describe it as more like pumping it, up and down, pressing as fast as you can for maybe six or more pushes.

2 Likes Save    
jkayd_il5

After washing I put the greens in a Tupperware type bowl, add paper towels to the top, put on the lid and turn over. Let it sit until ready to use. You can store in the refrigerator this way too.

Save    
chloebud

I also have one along with the Oxo herb spinner that's just smaller. I think they do an okay job. As you mentioned, still wet-ish. I got them years ago when Kohl's had a grand opening. I think I paid $10 total for them.

Save    
Lars

I chose to get a Mueller salad spinner instead, although I considered the Oxo. I really like the Mueller, and it has a pull-out to make the bowl spin, which I think is more efficient. I have that spinner in L.A., and I moved my old Copco spinner to Cathedral City, and it works fine, even after 25+ years. I think the Copco might do a slightly better job, and I think it is because of the plastic used to make it. The new plastic does not work as well, for some reason.

Save    
Raye Smith

I have an older version and it works well. You pump the center button several times as nickel_kg said and then hit the brake button hard, that's what flings the water of the leaves. I do two rounds of spinning and have no problems with excess water and my green leaf or spinach lasts a good long time.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Yes, pumping, rather than pushing. I was pumping it several times. I'll use the brake to stop it suddenly. I use the brake just for slowing it down so I can take the lid off.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I have an old Zyliss one that is no longer made. Mine looks a lot like yours and works well. I would try the new Zyliss without hesitation. I am generally very happy with their products.

https://www.zyliss.com/store/products/zyliss-swift-dry-salad-spinner-large-green-e940005u.htm

Save    
rockypointdog

I have that one. I give it a spin, then take out the inner colander, give the lettuce or spinach a bit of a toss and a stir to re-arrange it, and then spin it again. It works pretty well if I do that. It's the only one I've ever had, so I never knew there were ones that worked better. Mine is kind of squeaky.

Save    
Zoe 29

I have that one. I eat a lot of salads, so clean a couple bunches of romaine and a couple bunches of spinach each week. I wash, spin, and then I lay the greens out on dish towels on the counter for a couple hours. Then I store in Rubbermaid Freshworks storage containers. It stays nice all week.

Save    
chloebud

My first gadget for drying lettuce was a wire basket just like this. I ordered it from a catalog and thought it was so cute. Long time ago!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I have one and I like that is on the small-ish side, but don’t think it works all that well. I think it is because water gets trapped in the weave of the basket rather than being spun completely out. I wash a lot of my own home grown lettuce in mine after rinsing. It does remove lots of water but the lettuce still seems very wet to me. I remove it to a tea towel and drain there before storing. Shouldn’t have to do that step.

I used to have a very large salad spinner. I only got rid of it because it took up so much room in the cabinet. I should have just kept it as it did hold a lot and seemed to spin the water out better.

Save    
wildchild2x2

I have a Tupperware spinner. You turn the handle on top to wind it up and let her rip. Works well. I don't use it unless I am making a large salad. For myself I just rinse the greens in a small colander and blot on a few paper towels.

Save    
Olychick

I had the Oxo and found sometimes the lid didn't get seated correctly with the basket or something and it didn't get a good whirl going. But when it was seated properly, I could pump it fast and it did a good job. When it broke I bought this Cuisinart instead and am much happier with it...no seating problems:

Save    
bpath

I have the oxo and am very happy with it. I do like rockypoint and empty the bowl and shake the colander, then pump again, 2 maybe 3 pumps each time. I won't be trading it in any time soon.

Save    
althea_gw

I like my Oxo. I get most of the water out of the veggies but they are never totally dry.

My first was a Copco that I still use for hand washing delicate clothes and stuff like that. The spinner on the Copco doesn't work very well so I use my older Oxo with a cracked bowl to spin out the rinse water of clothes washed in the Copco.

Save    
maifleur03

I found that the spinners that I tried bruised the leaves which is fine if you are planning on using immediately but not for storage for the next day.

Save    
bpath

interesting, maifleur. We use our spinner to wash lettuce that we then put in a container, ready to put on sandwiches for the next few days or for nibbling on. How would we know if the leaves are bruised?

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I have a cheap salad spinner from Ikea. It has a knob you turn, which I think is easier for me than pumping would be. It does a good job.

1 Like Save    
maire_cate

My salad spinner is at least 15 years old and I love it. It's a Zyliss with a pull cord - works great.

Save    
jupidupi

Salad spinners always remind me of my friend's two year old. He has a lot of toys, but his favorite thing to play with is a salad spinner.

1 Like Save    
lgmd_gaz

My spinner is 30 years old and is used at least once weekly. The lid has a knob on the top that you grasp to rotate the inside bowl to spin the the contents in either direction, clockwise or counter clockwise. It does a very good job of eliminating excess water. I place the spun leaves of greens in a 2 gallon zip lock bag that I first line with paper towels. I bought this spinner at KMart when they were a very new item in the marketplace. The name that is on the top of that knob is HOAN. I guess that is the brand? My daughter covets it.

Save    
terezosa / terriks

I have the OXO salad spinner and it works fine for me. I can leave the cleaned lettuce in unit in the refrigerator for a few days, and it keeps it nice and crisp.

Years ago I used to wash the lettuce, then put it in a clean dry pillowcase and swing it around outside, and that method worked pretty well. I may go back to that method, because it's easier to throw the pillow case into the next load of wash than to clean the 3 part salad spinner.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Surprising Ways to Pare Down at Home
All those household items you take for granted? You might not need them after all. These lists can help you decide
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: 21 Nifty Pantry Organizers
Just say no to pantry chaos with these containers, racks, bins and other storage wonders
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
With over 10 years of experience, Eco-Nize Closets is a local, family-owned business that designs & installs... Read More