Where would you vacation.......based on.....
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Would you plant in an area no one would see but you?
Comments (21)Well, ladies, you have inspired me! I should have known what gardeners would answer. I will try to use mostly what I have available now to keep costs down. I have a purple smoke tree (still in the pot), a Rosy Glow barberry, and lots of seedlings here and there of red bud and kolreuteria paniculata or Golden Rain Trees. Then there is the weigelia 'wine and roses', a white clematis, a dwarf My Monet weigela.....all in the pot ghetto. I have maybe 20 Hyperion daylilies, and 10 or so Blue Berry Candy daylilies. It will be a start. Thank you all for the support and ideas. You can bet I will post pictures of during and after the planting. I promise that I will actually try to plan this area........unlike my usual method. I may even use a tape measure! Oh, I forgot all the iris I need to divide and relocate....See Moreguirlande d'amour rose Vs MAC. Which one would you recommend Please?
Comments (12)I've never grown Guirlande de Amour, but going by HMF, it's half the potential size of MAC. Do you want it to reach the railing and then grow along it, or just get that tall and no more? If you intend for your rose to grow horizontally at the balcony level, then MAC is the way to go. Mine was easily 25' tall in a red cedar tree before the Polar Vortex several years ago. I lost it when the temps hit -10F. It was healthy, not spotless, but nearly so, and I never, ever sprayed it (ever tried spraying something 25 feet over your head? I don't recommend it, lol). MAC doesn't mind a little shade, so should do quite well until it can reach full sun. MAC also has an interesting scent. I've never been quite able to describe it. It's pleasant, not overpowering. I read somewhere it has hints of elder flower?? GdA looks like a lovely rose, and being a musk hybrid probably smells wonderful. And HMF says it's "very disease resistant". But I can speak of MAC from experience, and it was a good one. She's a classic for a reason. Edit: I forgot to say...you mentioned Veilchenblau. I know it only blooms once, but it's totally healthy for me, and that purple would be gorgeous against the white walls! Plant it at one end, and MAC at the other, lol. Boom! Best of both worlds....See MoreWould you live with one of your children when you get old or alone?
Comments (88)We planned ahead for this when we built our retirement home four years ago in the resort area where DD (our only) and DSIL have settled by building a duplex with them that preserved privacy between households but allows easy access when wanted Although we are hopefully still years away from needing help, it has proved to be mutually beneficial to both generations. First, housing costs in this area are very high and even though the kids both have good jobs and are hard workers, because the build was primarily financed by the bank of mom and dad they have a nicer home in a high end neighborhood than they could otherwise afford. Second, we are available to help with DGS, age 4, when they need help (and they absolutely do not take advantage of this!). Because the kids both work full time, they sppreciate that I cook for all of us most weekday nights, it gives them more time with their son and I appreciate their help cleaning up after dinner. Built in dog sitters when one generation is traveling. DH and DSIL share yard duties DSIL can fix anything! While the ”kids” may seem to be getting more benefit right now, to us having them and DGS next door is priceless and and, in the normal course of events, we will need their help more and more as we age. If life doesn’t follow the normal course, we built with potential resale in mind and one or both sides can be sold. Fortunately, it has turned out to be a very good investment because we purchased the lot while the area was still recovering from the 08 bust and built before the current building frenzy raised prices so much. Anything can happen in the next twenty or thirty years, but at present I believe we have our bases covered nicely....See MoreFor you fellow "Pillow" collectors....How much would you pay for one?
Comments (41)Thanks alot guys, I have been busy searching Etsy this morning for pillow covers or fabric to have some made. My upholstery guy will make piped 20" pillow covers for $20 ea. Re pillows on the bed. I love a pretty made up bed. I also love pillows. I use a euro set, a queen set and a large pillow in front of the queen set. I LOVE bolsters and have one on a guest room bed. I will admit thought that I make my bed when I get around to it. I like to ease into my mornings, haha! Sometimes it is soon after I get up (the Mr. is usually an early riser), but today, I have not made it yet. I usually tidy up the bedroom/bath and make our bed. Too much computer time this morning. Allison, I hate to hear about your husband's back. I know he has had some health problems and sure did not need this. I hope he is doing better....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESWhere to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWhere to Splurge and Where to Save When Decorating
Get a designer’s advice on where to invest in durable essentials and focal pieces for your home, and where to economize
Full Story
MODERN HOMESHouzz Tour: A Base Camp Designed for Adventure, Durability and Style
Rugged materials join refined good looks and clever details in a Washington family’s all-year getaway
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESRoom of the Day: Where Imagination Rules
An interior designer creates a playroom based on her own childhood fantasies
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDHouzz Tour: An Island Vacation House in New Zealand
The dreams of a courageous couple become reality in a home where family and friends come together
Full Story
WORLD OF DESIGNAround the World in 12 Inspiring Vacation Homes
See beach houses, forest cabins and country cottages across the globe where people go to rest, recharge and enjoy nature
Full Story
VACATION HOMESHouzz Tour: The Riverside Vacation Cabins That Friendship Built
Four small getaways are big on camaraderie and water-loving activities — see their rustic modern design
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGN9 Vacation Farmsteads Offer a Taste of Country Life
Have a hankering for fresh air and even fresher food? Try a farmhouse, cabin or well-equipped tent for your next vacation
Full Story
EVENTSSee the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNIdeas to Steal From Your Fantasy Vacation-Cottage Kitchen
Try on these dreamy kitchens for size
Full Story
ci_lantro