SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
afrenchsoul

Water Damage From Neighbor

Voyage Infini
3 years ago

I recently noticed I'm getting a lot of water in my basement through the wall on the south side. I've just had new gutters and downspouts installed, so this shouldn't be happening. I had some re-grading done last year as well, so it should be well mitigated in that regard as well. After some looking around, I notice my neighbor, whose garage abuts my property line (was grandfathered in before setbacks were required), has no diverters on his downspouts. In short, this means that his stormwater arrives in my south yard in two places, which would explain the water in my basement. This neighbor has always been a nuisance. Last year, he started throwing large trash items (ex: mattresses, tables, etc), on my property for trash pickup. I asked politely for him to move them to his own property, and he became very aggressive and disrespectful with me. As a single woman who lives alone, and since he's a large and argumentative man, I called the police to intervene, after he repeatedly ignored my request. My question is, should I try to approach him about putting some diverters on the ends of his two downspouts to make the water flow away from my property, or should I call someone at the city to handle it? I don't want to start a war, but he's not exactly been a good neighbor, and I don't want to have another exchange like the last one. For reference, his garage wall is roughly a foot from the property line, so without a diverter, his stormwater flows directly on my property, with my house being only about 10-12 feet away. The water from the downspouts is everything from his garage, as well as from the south half of his house roof, so 75% of the rain water that falls onto his house. He could easily divert it toward the street or his backyard. Does anyone have a diplomatic/nice neighbor solution for me?

Comments (4)