SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_576223593

Unused space beneath kitchen counter. Cubby-hole potential?

Robin K.
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a studio condo that was built in 1989. I am getting quartz countertops soon, and today I removed one of my old kitchen countertops. I was gobsmacked to find this large, closed-off, unused area beneath the counter. I live in a 350 sq. ft. studio with a washer-dryer, so storage space is very much needed. I don't know why this 28" x 23" space was not utilized as a cubbyhole when they built these units. I would LOVE to cut a hole in the other side - in the breakfast-bar side - which is painted drywall, and put a cupboard door to access this small bit of storage space. It appears that at the back (the breakfast-bar side I'd be cutting into) there are two pieces of drywall sandwiched between a wood frame (i can see one stud which I'd need to cut through).

I would just like to cut out a square or rectangle....jerry-rig a doorjamb in there.....and attach a simple hinged cupboard door to access that storage space from below the breakfast bar.

I am female but I'm fairly handy. I have an angle grinder and a jigsaw...and I might be open to buying a circular saw if I really needed to. :-)

Do you think it's feasible? Any thoughts or considerations?

Thanks ever so much! Here are pictures:

Comments (2)