SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucigabrielle76

PLEASE HELP: Exterior house color? (Florida)

Luci Gabrielle
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Our North Florida home needs painting. The siding is concrete fiber (AKA “asbestos siding”—which is actually very similar to today’s Hardie Board, but has some asbestos added) and is ORIGINAL to the 1947 home.

We CANNOT replace the siding, as it is not remotely within our budget and it’s wonderful as long as you don’t disturb it: indestructible, fire resistant, holds paint far longer than wood, and paint doesn’t crack or peel on it.

NOTE: In about 5 years, we'll be replacing the roof with a metal roof—possibly white—but we can't wait to paint the house, as the trim especially needs protecting ASAP.

Here are the current colors:

I was never a huge fan of the yellow, but having a very hard time figuring out a replacement color.

We’d like to keep it somewhat “beachy” and “Florida” overall.

We'd like to paint it GREEN, BUT the houses on either side are green—one a dark mossy forest and one a light blue-green—and we don’t want our block to look monotonous. And the two houses across the street are a medium gray with a warm-red door, and a golden yellow with a light-teal door, so we don't want to copy those either.

We initially thought that a light turquoise blue like this (Benjamin Moore Buxton Blue + Van Deusen Blue on the door) might be nice:

... but I feel that the texture and width of the siding just don’t work with some colors; they seem to look cheap or chintzy. Here are those SAME 2 COLORS (Buxton + VanDeusen) on the house (done with BM’s Color Viewer—which I do feel tends to render the colors warmer overall compared to photographs of the same colors):

BLAH, right???

Here is Hawthorne Yellow, which is slightly less orange than the current color, with the current door color:

Beacon Hill Damask:

New Providence Navy + Mayo Teal:

Gentleman’s Gray + Lafayette Blue:

Chelsea Gray + Williamsburg Wythe Blue:

Kendall Charcoal + Williamsburg Wythe Blue:

Stonington Gray + Spotswood Teal:

Covington Gray + Marine Blue:

Silver Lake + Marine Blue:

Many thanks in advance! :-)

Comments (46)

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

if you are asking to pick a fav color I would choose Chelsea Gray or Kendall Charcoal

SW Anchors Aweigh and Butterfield

SW Dark Night and I think Brick Paver

Luci Gabrielle thanked Melissa R
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Melissa R, I definitely agree darker colors seems to look better on the siding—but trying to keep the house looking like a Florida house, if that makes sense. These colors are great but they don't read FL to me. I think even the Chelsea or the dark Navy blues look a bit more beachy.

• Related Discussions

Need help with exterior paint colors for 1920s Florida home

Q

Comments (4)
    Your house is beautiful. I just painted my new craftsman in SW FL with Sherwin Williams 7726 Lemon Verbena for the hardie siding on top, SW 7733 Bamboo Shoot for the stucco on the first floor and SW 7730 Forestwood for the trim. I just personally love greens for a craftsman house but felt that with the light in FL, the greens had to be a bit cleaner and brighter than what is normally chosen for the rest of the country. (The trim isn't finished being painted.)
    ...See More

What color for exterior house trim of 1920s Florida house?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks, it is true that the sun in Florida influences the color palette! We live in the city of St Pete a few blocks from a lake, so it doesn't necessarily need to be beachy, and the houses on each side of us are yellow brick and light khaki. We do want to find a green-blue-gray for the body of the house, but a shade that is lighter than Restorative may be better given the heft of the house as you say. We are thinking the Sherwin Williams color "Valiant Blue" might be a better option. We don't want all of the window trim to be white, but instead want to find a color that will go well with the white sashes and grilles. We do like the haint blue porch ceilings, and if there is a way to incorporate this without it becoming too busy that would be great. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Help with (south Florida) exterior paint colors please!

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm tired of the "south Florida Flamingo pink" lol and am looking to update to a more "modern-ish" color scheme while keeping the house feel of "beachy/Bahamas" feel. Having difficulty matching with the peach tile roof! TIA for your help! Below is a better picture with the roof recently cleaned.... Oh and we love teal as maybe a door or shutter or some sort of accent color....
    ...See More

Exterior Paint & Trim Color, Florida Gulf Coast Historic Home Reno

Q

Comments (36)
    We were out kayaking today south of you on the Gulf Coast. The waterfront house that caught my eye was the one painted a lovely light pink with white trim and a charcoal roof.
    ...See More
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Melissa R, what program did you use to do these mockups?

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Have you considered reversing your current scheme and doing blue siding with a yellow door or are you married to a blue door?

Of your renditions, on my monitor, I like Beacon Hill Damask ( I have this in my kitchen, there is some green to it) and the Gentleman's Gray and Lafayette. I am not a fan of Chelsea Gray at all as it looks too muddy for what I consider to be Florida colours (but I'm up North so what do I know? :)) Silver Lake is nice but doesn't say Florida to me.

Alternatively, if you want green, have you considered this scheme?

Luci Gabrielle thanked tartanmeup
  • ulisdone
    3 years ago

Cute house! Because you have a light colored roof, I would keep the paint a lighter color. The darker paints emphasize the pale roof.

Also, lighter colors make the house look larger and won’t fade as fast in the FL sun.

Luci Gabrielle thanked ulisdone
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup I'm just afraid white on that siding won't look good...?

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup definitely not married to a blue door... just haven't found the right blue yet for the siding... like I said, a lot of the lighter or medium blues seem to look chintzy or blah on this particular siding...

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ulisdone before too long we'll need a new roof and were thinking a metal roof, possibly white (very tropical/beachy)... Given, say, a white metal roof, I don't think the siding color needs to be lighter, than the roof, do you?

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

You worry white siding might look cheap? I know people in my neighbourhood have been replacing their late 60s, early 70s white vinyl siding with dark colours but honestly the colours look forced, imo. They would have been better off freshening up the white. To me, white is classic. A white beach house with hits of fun colour sounds like a dream to me. :) I'm not familiar with your type of siding nor am I a pro but I could see the light terra cotta or apricot colour (it's a light browny pink on my screen, not an actual pink) for the trim OR siding with a minty green door. Also, on my screen, the white in the pic I posted is a warm white, not a stark cool white. If I went with a lighter colour on the siding, I might want to lighten the porch.

Agree it's a very cute house!

Here's an apricot-y pink with a mint door:

Blush pink with teal. Cute but might be too cotton candy?

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup those are lovely! but my husband has nixed pink, peach or lavendar, lol

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a slightly more lemony yellow and I've cleaned up the trim a bit:

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

It's a light terra cotta, not peach! :P

Fwiw, I prefer siding to be lighter or equal in colour than the roof. Might be easier to wait for the new roof to repaint?

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I also agree to get the roof done first.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Lemony yellow is classic with blue. A shade or two lighter than your pic would get my vote. On my monitor, the one in your pic looks a bit too acidy for my taste. Yellows can be tricky to get right. Recently read in a decorator's blog that exterior colours usually look brighter than paint chips so it's best to choose a lighter version of the colour we want.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup @thinkdesignlive waiting for the roof before painting is out of the question as the wood trim needs painted ASAP to prevent more wood rot, and the roof won't need replaced for another 5 years; we have the carpenter who's restoring the windows and painters scheduled for the end of the month and that's been a 4-month wait just to get on their schedules. I agree that architectural roofs look better if darker than the house color, but not metal ones. Plain metal or white-painted metal roofs are very common in the tropics with all sorts of siding colors:

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup thank you, I agree the Lemon Freeze is a bit too intense

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup, I know! Believe me, I found out what the color is and tried it on the house with the color viewer and it's very blah due to the siding. It's also too similar to the next door neighbors' house.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Like the last pic with the Silver Lake siding and would keep the current door color. Might consider painting the fascia the same color as the roofing you eventually choose.

You might want to reconsider a white roof because, personally, I doubt it will look as clean for as long as a pale gray or a blue might without being cleaned -- no personal experience with a white roof. At least, first pay attention to the roof colors in your area. What trees you have nearby may factor into the question as well.

Luci Gabrielle thanked suezbell
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@suezbell good points! With the siding did you mean the Silver Lake siding? (the door color in that photo is actually Marine Blue). So Silver Lake + current door color?

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

@Luci Gabrielle, this older thread popped up on the side here. Lots of colour suggestions for a Florida house with a white metal roof. Pros with tips about choosing paint chimed in. Might be of interest.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Yes. I like the lighter blue "Silver Lake" , for the siding and a darker, "Marine Blue" -- current door color for the front door.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

OMG - so many choices! 😆 I keep going back to your description of neighboring homes. Because of the mossy green one, I’ve eliminated any of your colors with grey or charcoal in name. Those don’t say beachy or FL to me either. I like best the Buxton color but not with that shown door color. The example house that you like in that color has so much more white trim that there’s no comparison to how it will look on your house. Also, your dark steps are throwing me off - is it an option to paint steps & porch white? That really would change entire look of house. I’m also trying to picture your house with white roof & Buxton color & white porch - looks great but still don’t like the Vanduesen door color. Guess I’m not much help - but, what about painting porch white? Doesn’t that change everything?

Luci Gabrielle thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup This is pretty close to the blue in the "Fixer Upper" house we like so much. See what I mean by lovely light or medium blues just looking "blah" with this siding?

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 I totally agree about the lack of white trim and that painting the porch white would change everything. I'm not sure whether that can be done or not? The foundation is cement and we basically live in a swamp (humid humid humid) so not sure it would stay. And the steps etc are tile, so I don't think they can be painted. The painter did say something about being able to put expoxy over the tile to change the color. These are good questions to ask him.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup couple more that are very close to the Fixer Upper house. It's something about the siding that makes all blues except very dark ones look "cheap":

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@suezbell sorry, still not sure what you mean, lol. Marine Blue is the color of the door shown with the Silver Lake siding (sort of a dark, teal blue). So not sure what you mean by "current door color." Do you mean the Marine Blue as shown in this mock-up with the Silver Lake?:

Or the more Periwinkle blue on the door shown in my very first photo of the current colors of the house?

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

@Luci Gabrielle - I do understand about the humidity & I don’t know how that would affect painted concrete. Your statement about the blue looking”cheap”... I don’t see that & wonder if your impression is tied to some association with a memory for you. Sounds like you & husband like the blue- why not get a paint sample & paint a square on each side of house? You’ll see it in all light exposures. I think I know exactly the siding you have. Many post WW II homes in my little home town have it. You could decide on door color after house painted. Are you familiar with Talavera pottery? Too bad the tiles on your steps aren’t that kind. A couple of talavera pots with white plants would be pretty on your front porch.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 I guess "drab" and "outdated" are more the words. The medium and light blues and blue-greens on that textured siding remind me of colors that were common on textured aluminum siding from the 70s.

Do you know if Talavera can be used on steps or porch floors? I know that smooth tile can't be used or it gets too slippery especially when wet. The whole house needs a power wash before painting so perhaps that will lighten the cement and tile considerably.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

@Luci Gabrielle - yes, I do get your association with old siding - my visual is faded pale blue aluminum siding! The Buxton blue you like doesn’t look the same at all to me, at least on my monitor. Back to the paint sample - why not try it? You really should do that anyway no matter what color you land on. A big sample square is necessary to really see how the color looks. i know of two homes that were repainted because the color they had put up bore no resemblance to what they thought they were getting! One was a pale with peachy tone & their result was dark shrimpy coral! The other was a pale grey & what they got was blinding white! Big & expensive oops! The painter just put up the colors per their request- painter wasn’t interested in doing color consult. About the Talavera - I’ve only seen it on the riser of steps. I think it is too slippery to walk on & since it’s clay maybe not durable either. I like the pottery but it doesn’t work with my home in PNW as outdoor decor. I had thought about it as another Floridian in another post made a suggestion to someone about using the tiles on risers & also putting Talavera pots & birdbath on & around the front porch.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 yes will definitely try out colors on the house! Just trying to narrow it down a bit first. I'll look into the Talavera for risers. Thank you for the suggestions!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Sky blue is always good

River Cottage · More Info

A bit more trendy

HGTV Smart Home 2013 · More Info

White will stand in style for a long time and the door can change on a whim

My Houzz: Dreamy, Organic Style in a Tampa Cottage · More Info

You can always look to Key West for inspiration

Carsten Lane Cottage · More Info

A minty blue, turquoise and periwinkle Bermuda shutters

Paradise Key South Beach · More Info

Luci Gabrielle thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste I really wanted a sky blue but I've tried literally every color of sky, turquoise, and light blue... and they all look very "cheap" and dated with this particular siding (See examples above). They remind me of the faded textured aluminum siding of the 70s. But here are colors close to the Key West Cottage you posted. I like it! But here's an added complication: those shrubs are pink azaleas (shown here in light and same color azaleas in shade). So I feel like the red door is maybe out?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Wait until the azaleas are in bloom to pick colors that look great with them. Again, white will never be wrong and the door can change whenever you want.

Luci Gabrielle thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste they just finished blooming (they only bloom for 3-4 weeks a year) and we really can't wait for another year. The wood trim needs painting ASAP to prevent more wood rot, and we have the carpenter who's restoring the windows and painters scheduled for the end of the month; that's been a 4-month wait just to get on their schedules. My photos of the azaleas are pretty accurate. I did another mock-up with a similar color just a bit lighter (Sienna Laurel) and the existing door color. I kind of like this:

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I like that last one Luci

Luci Gabrielle thanked thinkdesignlive
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

I like it as well! It has more green than the lemony squeeze you posted but manages to look less acid-y. On my screen at least. :) I'll repeat the advice others shared: test your colours first!! Even if you fall in love with a colour from a mockup. Colours on screen are starting points and guides. They can look totally different irl. I also agree with the suggestion to lighten the porch. It's a key component to the whole look.

Btw, I've been thinking about the blues looking blah in your mockups compared to the inspo pics we're finding and I agree it's the proportion of white trim. Yours is small compared to the inspo pics and that might be what's making the result feel blah to you.

Good luck with this project. Looking forward to seeing the result. :)

• misecretary
    3 years ago

How about a creamy white with your favorite color for the door. Perhaps natural wood beams rather than the painted ones.

Luci Gabrielle thanked misecretary
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

White siding wasn't one of the colors you were originally considering but I totally agree with those that consider it a great exterior color. Would be a good choice for your home. Then add color -- mix of grays or mix of tans -- for your roof ... and consider painting the fascia the same color you will choose for your roof if you don't want it white.

Personally, I'd much rather have white siding and color on the roof (and fascia) than vise versa.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@suezbell can you explain about roof? We would like a metal roof and those are typically painted a solid color. Had been thinking white but perhaps a blue or blue-gray if the house is white?

• suezbell
    3 years ago

I was thinking shingle roof when I mentioned the mix of light colors.

While a shingle roof would have multiple shades of gray, metal roofs would be, as far as I know, one solid color -- some light colors and some dark.

If you have decided on a metal roof -- great idea -- then, see if you can find white metal roofs in your area and see if they look good on the roof to you.

Personally, I'd rather have the house painted white and then choose a light colored roof -- a light gray or tan (but not a white roof) ... especially if there are any trees anywhere near the house. Some trees are worse than others for dropping sap and some show bird poop and such worse than others -- things that would actually wash off a metal roof in the rain better than they'd wash off a shingle roof. If, however, you like the white roof that much better, you could always take a hose pipe to rinse off anything that shows enough to bother you.

While there are light green an light blue modern metal roofs as well as the light gray ones -- and medium and dark gray roofs. Either white or gray would be more neutral should you ever want to change your house color again or sell the house to someone that might.

Consider taking the time to actively look for a few in your area and see how they look once they've been installed for a while. Perhaps they don't show stain as much as I suspect they would. Perhaps the local Lowes or Home Depot could give you the general location of some where people that bought white metal for the roof and had them installed.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup @suezbell @decoenthusiaste thank you for suggesting the white for siding. Here are two mockups. The first is the same color white for both siding and trim (BM Chantilly White). The door could of course be any color, even black:

And this is a very, very light gray (BM Marilyn's Dress):

Think I'm leaning to the white on white. Looks kind of modern.

• itsourcasa
    3 years ago

I like the most recent one, the white! But I also think you have the perfect house to go pink!!!

Luci Gabrielle thanked itsourcasa
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

A black door and white siding is classic but doesn't really read beachy. :) Keep in mind that Chantilly Lace is one of BM's brightest whites. Make sure you test it in your Florida sun. It might read too bright and blinding and you'd be better served with a softer white like White Dove.

Btw, while playing around with the visualizer, have you tried a different colour for the porch?

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup I realize chantilly is too bright—only used that because it‘s the only one that actually looks white on the BM color visualizer. The rest look really yellow. (I don’t think the visualizer is very accurate.)

Typically when people paint their cement foundation they use a very dark gray, as it sort of grounds it. There is a white house with dark gray foundation on this block that looks great. But that has a completely wooden porch separate from the foundation, whereas our porch has the cement foundation topped by tile (!) with various shades of gray, blue-gray, and even brown. I tried various grays and white in the visualizer—on just the foundation and on both foundation and tile—and it looks really weird, I think because of the disparate textures of the tile and foundation.

My contractor said there is a matte (can only use matte due to slip hazard) epoxy that can be used on top of tile, but it won’t even the surface and i think it’ll just look like obviously painted tile. I’m going to see how it looks once it’s power washed. Also at some point we may screen in the porch and then may have to rethink the floor anyway. And the shrubs will get bigger as well.

• Luci Gabrielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@itsourcasa DH says no pink lol