SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptpatrick

Paint color dilemmas on historic home

PJ
3 years ago

So we have a 1920 , I guess what you’d call arts and crafts colonial revival home . It’s getting to be be time for a paint job and I’m torn about how to approach the color scheme. I consulted a historic expert and he of course said get rid of fake shutters and that the bay window wasn’t original but didn’t give me much paint ideas. Also said it’s painted wrong now and it’s too Victorian looking with all the block trim and panel accent in the upper front window, not super helpful but I can’t disagree there. Ultimately, I think most people not of historical concern think it looks beautiful and that’s not my first cornern...although I will probably take his advice on the window trim panels and go one color there.

So my paint dilemmas...the bay window does bring a bit of a Dutch colonial look but the way it sticks into the white trim above sort creates a messy site line that drives me nuts. It also seems like it sort of force me into at least having some slight black accent (even if just the drip edge, flashing over top of door and window). Also, the shutters almost feel needed with the bay window so they stay, and probably stay dark.

The bigger dilemma is that we had to replace a bunch of back windows a few years ago. And I liked the idea of a dark look for those(the back is a little more plane and lent itself to a contemporary look which I like). When I did it I thought id eventually just carry the color scheme around to the front at painting time. then I really got to thinking about the front elevation and I’m not sure it would do the house justice or work because it’s kinda busy up front already. The back windows are Marvin gunmetal grey which has a slight blue tinge.

One idea I had since you don’t really see much but the front elevation from street and the houses are close is to keep the light trim and front windows and overall look, but paint the rest of the side windows sash/storms in gunmetal(leaving some trim light) so it sort of feels cohesive. I could leave the gunmetal color totally off the front of the house and think it would be ok, but maybe there’s a way to work it in. The body is currently Dorian grey but plan to go with Bm paint. I think colors that might be good are revere pewter, platinum grey, storm AF , thunder AF....also have thought about darker body colors with less contrast, duxbury grey. I could do white dove trim, but could also see a slightly contrasting but not white trim like revere pewter trim with storm or platinum body. The “trim” color would be almost non existent on the back.

Anyway, lots of little considerations here.
I will throw out an idea and I’d love thoughts on how you might approach.
Body Storm AF
Trim (front windows, trim and soffits, and some of sides) Revere pewter or white dove
Back and side Windows Marvin gunmetal grey
Flashing, drip edge, door and window cap in front, and shutters, gutters black( really dark charcoal probably )

Comments (3)