SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_64154277

How to choose decor colors

Chelsea McKay
3 years ago

Hi everyone. So my living room is currently all grey and white. Charcoal couch, white fireplace tv stand, white blanket hutch, black coffee table, 2 grey chairs on the way, etc. the problem I’m having is decorating around that which is silly since any color palette could really match. I’m leaning towards blush, yellow, or an aqua accent color. My question is do you guys choose an accent and look for decor in that color or do you find something you love and build around that? Also what kind of things do you use in your decor? I don’t want it to appear as if I bought a bunch of junk just to fill the space but don’t have any theme or continuity. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    RoomSketcher
    3 years ago

Hi Chelsea :) It does sound like you have a "blank" canvas and can choose any accent color you like. It might take a while to stumble over something that you love, so I suggest picking one of the colors you mentioned above. I do love a pale aqua, so chic! I find that you can never go wrong with a nice tray to display your decor items in, such as a vase with fresh flowers, a scented candle, and a pretty frame. Coffeetable books are also a favorite. Right now I'm sourcing the internet for a glass bead garland!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

HI. Nice that you have a blank slate. Accent colors can be chosen in different ways: based on a particular piece you already have, a color you love or a fixture in the home.

First, I would look at the home and see if there are existing elements with color tones. Then, I would look at adjacent rooms. You want your rooms to flow.

Finally, are you planning to add art with color? If so, add that and then work your colors around that.

It also depends on how dark your grey is. A blush on a light grey is not going to pop much. But, maybe you are thinking more softer tones.

I wouldn't discount green either.

Start by adding photos to your ideabook that you like. Before long, you will see a theme.

Chicago Pied-à-terre · More Info

Dean Estates | Cranston, RI - Kitchen | Dining | Living Remodel · More Info

Denver Contemporary Ranch Loft · More Info

• Related Discussions

Need help choosing curtains. I am horrible at decorating

Q

Comments (10)
    Feel better! I agree, at the minimum, take off the top drape, and also the sheers. If you need privacy I would go to Lowes and pick up some wood blinds. If you still are not happy with the result, then I would hang pretty rods closer to the ceiling, and use cream or white linen drapes as suggested by other posters. I have neutral faux raw silk drapes from Target - everyone thinks they are the expensive ones from Pottery Barn. Good luck!
    ...See More

Help me choose (sneaking a decor question in on this side)

Q

Comments (21)
    Outside, yeah-- I think it's a little too pale. I had second thoughts and didn't order the Pier1 shower curtain. I REALLY like the quality of the John Robshaw curtain but I am just not sold on the design in my room. It is a big change so that may be part of it. I do like the design-- but it's overpowering. Tina.. I haven't worked a sewing machine in 30 yr. I'd have one made if I found fabric I like. And yes.. 72" is a little short (the one I am currently using is about 2" longer)
    ...See More

no decor skills, need help choosing new furnishings and layout

Q

Comments (15)
    I would go monochromatic. A rug the color of the walls, furniture a shade darker and NO gallery wall. Your floors and window trim is very busy and I would keep everything else in the room simple. Tables the same color as the shelving. If it were me I would find a local interior designer (not one at a furniture store as they are there to sell that store's furniture) to help you. Usually they will do a consultation for an hourly rate, that in the long run will save you money from purchasing mistakes. There seems to be a problem with how the trim is hung over the dining area windows. It looks to be sitting above the window rather than on it like in the living area.
    ...See More

How to choose decoration for the wall

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello, I'd like to decorate the empty wall near the kitchen. The white wall is 37 inch wide. I don't know what colors can go with the kitchen cabinets (pale sage, grayish) and brown counter top. The wall is quite close to the entrance, while the opposite wall is from olive color palette and there' s a picture on it. Does the round wood panel fit?https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/640639930/3d-stylish-wood-wall-art-decor-verona?ref=shop_home_active_10Or something like thishttps://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/654457521/3d-stylish-wood-wall-art-decor-vintage?ref=user_profile
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

I agree with the other comments and it is overwhelming to start with that blank slate.

To add to finding that key piece you like, a rug, pillow or painting can tell you the colors you live with what you have and the idea book of your favorite looks.

Don't forget about metallics in youth search, they make a great accent to your neutral basics.

Natural elements like woods to warm things up can also be an option

Some additional inspos.

Its OK to take your time and find those perfect pieces that say to you...this is it! 😁

Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

OK I cannot type today!

the key piece can tell you the colors you love*

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

How do you make your home a place that makes your heart sing? By adding art and colors and things that you love.

What is your favorite color? What color makes you feel like a 10? Do you love abstract art or wildlife or seascapes or flowers? We can't tell you what is going to bring you joy when you walk into your living room.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

Also what kind of things do you use in your decor?

I'm a vase freak. I love beautiful vases. I have a few tall floor vases and quite a few smaller ones in every room on the first floor - in various sizes and shapes.

I have artwork on the walls(some of it from my husband's photography hobby - on canvas).

I have floor lamps, decorative pillows, wall candle holders, standing candle holders on the fireplace, mirrors of various sizes, floating shelves, throws over chairs(some I sewed with leftover material from curtains), beautiful table lamps, floor plants, 2 display trays with different round balls, poinsettias from Christmas(some are over 3 years old, and a few other things.

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi guys! Thanks you all so much for your feedback. Just to give a better idea this is the what the living room looked like at Christmas - all of the furniture (excluding the Christmas tree obviously), and the green chairs is still there. So the tv stand, couch, hutch, and coffee table remains. I will upload a picture of the chairs that are arriving today in another post. Keep in mind that I am currently renting and so limited on what I can drastically affect outside of decor. A few questions

1.) can we agree the hutch needs to be painted a true white to match the tv stand? It’s an off white color and I didn’t know that when I purchased.

2.) all art is gone but with a general idea of layout where would you suggest hanging art? I feel it should be opposite the tv above the couch because that’s what you first see when entering but there is also the ugly AC unit there that i don’t want to draw attention to and it also prevents it from being centered on anything.

3.) back to the big ugly AC unit... anyway to hide or disguise this?

4.) I plan on curtains and probably a rug as well as throw pillows and blankets obviously but I’m still stuck on color, anything I get would have to be mostly dark with splashes of color as I have 3 dogs and we get a lot of rain (that’s why we opted for dark seating) thoughts on colors?

I will post a picture of the chairs that will be coming right now. They will be in front of the window where you see the hutch and the Christmas tree. Any thoughts, or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I’m at a loss. Thanks!!!

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

These are the chairs that should be arriving today. I ordered 2

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the reason we can’t have nice things 😂😂

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Hi. Cute dogs!

Before you do anything, a good floor plan needs to be made, I don't see any green chairs in the photos.

Where will you put 2 new chairs? The sectional is already too large for the space.

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The chairs will go in front of the windows where the hutch and the Christmas tree are located in the photos. I think the hutch may have to go in the entryway (it’s where I store extra throws and a few pillows in case we have guests stay, so ideally it doesn’t get eliminated). Do you think the sectional is to large or is it the coffee table protruding into the space?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

I realize you have (3)? dogs and a smaller room and that there is not always perfection in design.

But, if I were starting over in this room, I would choose a smaller sofa and a couple of chairs. I would actually move the tv to the sofa wall and have a sofa face it, creating a "hall" behind the sofa.

The chairs will be blocked by the huge chaise on the sectional.

That being said, I know little about your lifestyle or needs and I realize a new sofa may not be in the cards.

Is there a need for 2 new chairs?

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe updated pictures will help. I’m going no on a new couch. We just got this one haha.This is what it looks like at this very moment. (Please excuse the mess)

Photo 1: shows what you’re looking at as soon as you come in the front door. There is a half wall there with a built in bookshelf on the living room side.

Photo 2: shows what you would see when entering from the kitchen

Photo 3 is showing the entryway in relation to the living room

Photo 4 is taken from the green chair in the corner.

Before anyone says anything I am very aware that the rug is much to small for the space. It is being replaced but in the meantime the dogs like to lay on it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Thanks. Anything you can move out would benefit.

small vases, decor, small art, stuff by kitchen entrance, large console table.

Arrows and Native art is interesting and would keep that. The other wall items are not working.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

What's wrong with the green chairs that are currently there? I would have used those and put a small table between them, then move the hutch to another space.

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There’s nothing wrong with the green chairs I guess. Well one has a broken leg but nothing that can’t be easily fixed. They are actually recliners and super comfortable. Those are going in the office now. I THINK. Green just isn’t my favorite color I guess. They were given to us by my brother in law lol

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

It would also help if you can remove the ottoman (chaise) from your sofa.

Also, if the tv could be hung and then both consoles be removed from the room.

What about the dog crates? Can they be put somewhere else? Do the dogs need to be crated?

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ cdrdesign I understand that things aren’t playing very well together which is why I am here. I am asking for opinions on what to bring in to replace the old stuff. as I have a very neutral palette to play with. I feel it would be extremely odd to just take everything away and not have anything on the walls or tabletops.

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They really aren’t ever put into their kennels for anything, (except for the puppy). But they do enjoy them when we are in the living room. They were in the entryway as well before but they seem much happier with them in the living room. I suppose I could maybe try and just move a dog bed around

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Hi Chelsea. No, I am not suggesting you not have any decor. But, it is often easier if you remove all and start over.

I suggest leaving the crate for the pup and the older ones can use beds.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

As you know, dogs love "covered" spaces (like a crate. So, as you replace your furniture, consider open "tables" the dogs can lie under. Coffee table, a narrow console under the tv, table between the 2 new chairs.

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I understand what you mean. And I know the space is a bit small but I have to be honest.. I’m in love with the fireplace I feel it really adds something to the room. You don’t think it would seem a little bleh without? I like the ‘cozy’ element that it adds but I hear what you are saying

• Chelsea McKay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe if I got rid of the kennels and the junk on the opposite side and it was a stand alone on that wall? Honest opinion please?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Removing the kennels would be a big improvement. In my opinion, there should be nothing protruding from that wall. It is a walkway. However, anything you can remove would be an improvement.

Same with the walls. Not every space and every wall needs to be filled.

In the meantime, make sure you have inspiration photos of what you want the room to look like. (once you get to adding decor). You have global-feel, country, glamish, traditonal decor. It is not working together.

• decorpatti
    3 years ago

You mention a fireplace, but is there another photo showing a fireplace? It seems that there are already so many pieces in the room, and I do feel that it needs some color since you are not keeping the green chairs. A large piece of artwork over the long side of the sofa (lower than what you have there now, please). If you like aqua (I do, too), then that is the direction I would go for pillows. Your new chairs add more grey to the room. I feel the TV stand color is too bright white, and that and the hutch look too 'country' for the sofa. Also, it looks like there is very little walking room to that hallway; a shallow console table with the TV mounted on the wall makes more sense I think. No need for anything above the TV; what is there could be mounted over the shorter side of the couch. While the crates do not add a magazine-ready look to the room, it is your home, and it should work for you and your family, including your pets. I would just look past them. I also would put a smaller table between the two chairs.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

My first piece of advice is to stop buying. More isn't always better. If you have purchased a fireplace for in the room send it back. You don't have room for another piece of furniture, another vase or plant or thing. Don't replace the rug or get pillows or wall art.

Decide on a reasonable monthly budget for décor and furniture. When you own a home I generally recommend that you save $1.00 per square foot of home per year toward furnishings and half that amount toward décor, kitchen gadgets, electronics . . . Can you save $3000.00 per year / $250.00 per month toward making your space beautiful?

Save for 1 year before spending a dime. Between now and then window shop, look at everyone else's homes, Look at rooms on TV shows and on the internet. When Covid is under control start going to open houses and model homes in new developments. Go to different furniture stores and look at different styles and different colors and different quality and price points. Go to used furniture stores/antique malls. Look at rooms on the internet including rooms that are normal homes, not just designer created spaces - posts on Houzz design dilemmas and Zillow homes for sale. Start saving pictures of the things you love. Find your personal style. Find your personal color palette. Read about furniture and learn from the experience of others. Nice things cost more money but last for decades. Cheap furniture has to be replaced every few years and costs more in the long run.

Go through your home and evaluate everything you own. Does it bring you joy? Does it function well? Is it still nice or is it getting a bit old/shabby looking? Part with the things that no longer bring you joy and don't serve some function. Find a home for everything in your house - no stacking stuff on table tops or leaving it out if it isn't meant to be decorative. Get a few storage boxes or totes and put things that fall into that "I don't love this item, but I don't want to get rid of it yet" category. Put a post it note on each item when you place it in the tote with the date on it. Once a year go through your tote and re-evaluate those items that have been in the tote for more than 6 months. Have you missed it? If not re-home the item.

Keep a notebook with notes of the things that just don't work for you - your biggest pain points.

At the end of a year take out 1/2 of the money you have saved and decide where and how you are going to spend your money. Buy one piece of furniture that will replace something that you really don't like anymore. Make sure it is good quality and fits with the style you are moving toward. You will have a list of items that you love and their prices and be able to pick the one piece that is going to last for the next 20 years. You will have $500 to spend on a beautiful piece of wall art and a new bedspread or a unique vase or lamp. Again, only buy things that you absolutely love.

Keep saving and spending 1/2 of what you have in savings annually. As your income grows you will have some extra from your paychecks to add to your spending and be able to purchase a few new items. When it comes time to replace the sofa you will have enough money to buy something nice that is going to stay nice for years to come.

Your goal is to collect 20-30 pieces of nice furniture over the next 10 years and 20-30 special décor items that you love over the next 10 years. Most of these items other than your mattress, sofa and chairs should last the rest of your life and not need to be replaced again. Upholstered items get replaced or recovered every 7-10 years.

You will have a beautiful home with beautiful things, but you have to get there. You need a plan and you need to work toward that plan. The other option is to just buy whatever tickles your fancy at the moment and have rooms full of things that are just okay and don't really go together or work together but fill the space.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here is what to do in order and this can be done now and will cost you $0. Actually, I just saved you $ because I am recommending returning the chairs.

1) Add photos to an ideabook of family rooms you love. Once you've added around 10, you will see a theme. 20 is even better. Write under them what you love about them.

(You don't have many photos in your ideabook, but the one you have does not look like the chairs you ordered). You really don't need more chairs in the space and it is going to really look dark in there with more gray. Also, they are very traditional.)

2) Set a floor plan. That involves walkways that are at least 36" wide. How many people do you need to seat? If you are keeping the sectional, I would not recommend any more chairs.

I'd move the green chairs and the console out with them.

Remove the dog crates.

I don't know if you can hang the tv when renting, but at least move it down the wall toward the front of the house (so where the dog crate is now)>

Do I see a floor vent behind the sectional? You might have to move the sectional out from the wall a touch. (It is just huge for that room, but a common mistake I see. If you are keeping it, do the best with it).

Consider also removing the chaise end and corner of the sectional. Make it into a sofa. Turn it around to face the wall with the air conditioner. The sofa back will align with the door to the kitchen. So, you will create a "hall" behind the sofa going from the front door to the kitchen.

3) Decor.

Take down all the art from the wall.

Remove all of the extraneous decor.

Remove the gray pillows from the sectional.

Put the pillows that are on the green chair on the sectional. (if this fits in with your overall decor style). If not, at least they will be better for now.

You might also consider hiring an interior designer. They don't have to be expensive. What you paid for the chairs would get you a lot of help.

Finally, you seem like a fun-loving person. Have fun with this!

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

THE FIREPLACE...........It's a TV console and fireplace, so the TV is sitting on it.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

In case you need the dog kennels there are options for furniture with dog crates

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

@shirlpp - 'THE FIREPLACE...........It's a TV console and fireplace, so the TV is sitting on it.'

You are yelling at us because we didn't know the TV console was also a fireplace?

No - it does not make the room look warm and inviting - it is a white TV console.

Was it a good purchasing decision - No - you needed storage solutions and the style doesn't go with any of the other furniture. It is bulkier than necessary for that wall.