SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook46

Need creative remodeling help and suggestions

loves2cook46
3 years ago

I am working on a kitchen in a condo for my sister. Due to association requirements, she can do very minimal construction work. I plan on moving an inlet vent panel for the venting system, and removing

a door frame but structurally the rest has to stay.

first question, other than sitting with a pad of graph paper, can anyone recommend good, preferably free, software to work in.

attached is a very messy drawing, totally not to scale of what is there, black, and some ideas, red. The kitchen is adjacent to the dining room and by adding a wall of cabinets in the dining room, I will be adding 50% more storage.

Function is going to win over form in every decision.

My sister is a messy person, likes to keep everything close at hand which means OUT ON THE COUNTERS. I need to unimbue her of that habit by having the things she uses most easily accessible. Her instant pot, air fryer, kitchenaid, and TWO coffee machines.

I also want to go from an 18" deep wall opposite the sink to a 30" deep wall which will massively increase storage. I need some counter space there as my mom lives with her and occasionally they are in the kitchen together cooking.

By moving the fridge, I am hoping to open a nice big prep area next to the sink. I can move the sink a small amount but only what plumbing outside the walls will allow. The stove needs to stay in the same place because that is where there is 220V. There is a small chance this could be reworked if you have better ideas.

Lastly, for now, there is that 45 degree wall next to the door. And soffits along every wall that cannot be removed as they contain ducts. I hope to hide them behind the doors for the upper cabinets to "open" up the room a bit. Right now they make the ceiling seem lower than it is.

Would love your thoughts

Comments (15)