SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indecisive_gardener

Boxwood Massacre 2021

Well, I've really gone and done it this time. I set out yesterday to do a moderate selective pruning to open up the boxwoods on the north side of my house and ended up here.

Before

After

After

Groan. This reminds me of the time I tried to trim my own bangs in the 6th grade and ended up with only a half inch of uneven fringe left.

In my defense, I don't think these boxwoods were long for this world before the prune. I'm guessing they're around the same age as my house (45 yrs), the interior of the shrubs have almost no leaves, and they all have some kind of "dark stuff" on at least some of their branches. I'm not sure if this is blight, some other fungal issue or just old age, but it definitely doesn't look healthy. Thoughts?

Icky dark stuff on branches

Before photo from back of plant

In any case, I'm now faced with the following choices. Do I...

1. Wait a few months to see how well they recover from the hard pruning. If they don't recover well, then dig up and replant in the fall? If I go this route, should I go ahead and massacre the other side too so at least they look even?

2. Go ahead and shovel prune them now and replant.

And if and when I replant a square hedge, is there a boxwood cultivar ( or other evergreen upright shrub that would tolerate shearing to between 3-4' t&w) that would do better in this location. I'm in North Texas (Plano), zone 8a (unless it changed due to recent Feb temps), calcareous alkaline clay soil (7.9ph), north side of the house (full shade in winter, part sun/dappled sun to part shade in spring/summer).

I know I could do something much more interesting combination of plantings than a box hedge (fatsia japonica, aucuba, pittosporum, yew, holly ferns, aspidistra, turks cap, dwarf yaupon, etc)., but I have a rear entry garage so I almost never look at my front yard except for when I mow the lawn & get the mail, so it's been kind of nice to have something simple and relatively low maintenance compared to the rather ambitious plans I have for the backyard where I spend much more of my time.

Anyhow, I know I'm mostly just thinking out loud right now, but I welcome any thoughts or comments on my little predicament are welcome!

Comments (10)