SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adriennesole

Need help figuring out what to do with large bedroom windows

adriennesole
3 years ago

Hi All,

My husband and I recently purchased a lovely mountain home that is in need of updating so I am probably going to be posting a lot on this board for advice. Right now, we are having a difference of opinion on what to do with our master bedroom windows.

Originally, the trim around the windows and doors was stained wood. For reference, here is a photo of our soon-to-be family room which still has the original wood trim. (Please disregard the furniture. We are swapping the master bedroom and the family room):

This is a current photo of our future master bedroom:

Here are some close-up photos:

As you see, the entire room was painted white, including the wood trim, ceiling beams and tongue and groove. My husband and I agree on sanding the ceiling beams and staining the wood a dark brown but when it comes to the wall of windows, my husband just wants to leave it white. Although it would be pretty expensive to do, I would rather add some visual interest by either sanding the whole wall and staining it the same color as the beams (including the patio doors) like this, which is also what we are planning on doing in the living room:

or by painting the inside of the window trim black and leaving the rest of the wood white, like the windows seen here (I would also paint the patio doors black):

Since we are at an impasse, I am turning to outside opinions on what we should do and also to see if anyone has a different idea for the windows that we may not have thought of. We would like to keep the room light and bright and are probably going to paint the rest of the walls a shade of white. We will also be changing out the carpet for a natural toned hardwood like in the second to last photo above.

Like I mentioned, we think we are going to be sanding and staining the wood in the living room wall of windows to match the beams which will be stained a dark brown. Even though it might be nice for both rooms to look alike, it's not a requirement and I'm open to any suggestions you guys may have for either room.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Comments (7)