SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thekooks000

Split level exterior makeover

Alison S
3 years ago

It's time for new replacement windows and a new exterior paint job, which means we get the opportunity for a bit of a makeover on this 1965 split. (Not shown in the photo is a one-story addition that attaches to a 2-car garage. But this side of the house is the one I would like some advice on.)

1. Now that you can get vinyl windows in a range of colors, I'd love to choose something that adds to the curb appeal. Any ideas? Also, I'm open to changing the style of windows - no need for them all to be double-hung. Doing picture windows or something else could be really pretty. I don't know much about windows, so I'd welcome any suggestions.

2. The orangey brick. Paint it, cover it with fieldstone? That's probably too expensive for us. Paint it but use a different color than the color used on the wood shingles? Use a stone facade? Stucco?

3. Paint color ideas for the wood shingles? This house is in a tranquil wooded setting and I'm drawn toward the gray/green with darker-olive-accents look. Something natural and woodsy would be ideal.

4. The landscaping. Those bushes. They have become overgrown since this photo was taken. Any suggestions? What would you do?

We don't have a large budget to work with, so I'd love to find ways to make the money that we already have to spend, on exterior painting and window replacements, to go towards updating the look of this house. Our style is transitional and we love nature and the woods.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to read your ideas!

Comments (11)