SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestguy33

Tips for Selling a House

midwestguy33
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We will be selling our house this spring/summer and I am looking for suggestions that I can work on to increase the potential price we might sell for. House is about 15 years old. Thanks!

Comments (33)

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! We are moving out of state so have been selling and donating a lot of extra furniture, clothes, etc,

• Related Discussions

Need Home Selling Tips

Q

Comments (18)
    I use clove scent around the kitchen and lemon or vanilla in the rest of the house. I'm getting ready to sell my parents' home and planning for the staging furniture pieces, interior scent, and flowers outdoors is our next step. Large pots near the garage door and the front door with yellow mums and some silk maple leaves in fall colors is on the agenda. Windows have all received new treatments, in light colors and fabrics. Floors have been thoroughly cleaned, polished and scrubbed to reflect as much light as possible. Carpeting is steam cleaned and all kitchen surfaces are disinfected and sweet smelling, including the insides of cupboards. Staging pieces are shiny and only the most interesting bits have been chosen, to look tidy and homey at the same time. Esthetics are everything when you sell a house. How it looks and how it smells can make it or break it. If the roof is new or the furnace is high effeciency, buyers can't see that and won't really care. They want clean. Cheryl
    ...See More

Damage to home during viewing

Q

Comments (20)
    Infodivamary3, that reminds me of when we were looking at one particular house. We were upstairs and I noticed a smell -- then we noticed poop tracked throughout the hall and 2 bedrooms -- then we found it on my dh's shoe. We at first assumed he had tracked it in from the back yard, but when I saw that there were no tracks on the carpeted stairs, we started checking around and found the dog pile on a small throw rug in one of the bedrooms. Our agent just calmly set to work cleaning it up. She found an old washcloth in the linen closet and then searched out some carpet cleaner -- cleaned it all up, including the original pile. Took the washcloth with her when we left, and never mentioned it to the homeowner. The incident flustered us, but it didn't faze her in the least. Five weeks later we bought that house (and ripped out all the carpet!).
    ...See More

Tips for selling an unbuilt lot

Q

Comments (18)
    Lyfia: Thanks for the list. I can gather all that info and provide it on a flyer/website. NC: I certainly wouldn't price my house based on internet friends' assessments. :-) But it is helpful to understand the assessing mechanisms and the factors that go into valuing waterfront lots. Chisue: Our original plan was to do what you suggest. But Mr. Weedy bumped into the neighbor a few weeks ago, mentioned we'd be selling, the neighbor said he was interested in buying the lot, we actually discussed a price, and then a week later they changed their minds. Since we had mentally started travelling down that road (I had contacted our mortgagor about a partial lien release), and the Parade of Homes was coming up, we decided to hang out a shingle and see if anything bit. I think we're going to go back to Plan A at this point. We did get 2 inquiry calls from the sign, and we'll leave it up. But we'll refrain from actively marketing the lot until we put our house on the market and see if the buyer wants the lot as well. If not, we'll kick the marketing into high gear and follow the advice above.
    ...See More

Staging house for sale?

Q

Comments (40)
    In this photo, this is what you see walking in from the front door. There is a step down from the entryway/front door. This is the view directly to the left as you step down into the living room. That brown loveseat will get moved- just need some help. This wall is the navy blue one. You can see there that it’s basically a large walkway into my dining room. Standing in the corner of the room, directly next to wall of windows. You see the step up to the entryway off to the right, the left step by the fireplace goes into my dining room. So this is both the lightest and largest rug I have. I left it because I have small children who play frequently in the living room. I hope it doesn’t detract too much from the floors. I also shifted the furniture farther over to accommodate the fireplace. I will get some lighter throw pillows, as the ones I have are very dark. I have some new curtains coming from Target that will fit the windows properly. I’m going to give my best shot at getting that TV down! I also have a round mirror coming for above the mantle. Just wanted you all to see I appreciate your help!
    ...See More
  • K R
    3 years ago

Realtor here. This is what people notice right away - messy or cluttered garages, messy drawers and cabinets, dirty paint or too many different paint colors on the wall. I know and you know these are easy fixes, but people’s first impressions matter and stick with them. I once went into an open house for a $5 mil house and the house STUNK of burnt bacon. Every single person said something about it and we still refer to it as “bacon grease house”. So clean everything, organize everything, store things that are overflowing, clean the garage (empty is best), paint all walls that are dirty or “colorful”, quick refresh to the landscaping (doesn’t have to be crazy, sometimes a little trimming and a few bags of fresh mulch is enough), clean again, and please don’t cook anything smelly within a week of listing! 😆

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I already plan to get a load of mulch as soon as it gets a little bit older. I do have a question concerning our garage.....it was drywalled, taped and partially mudded when we had the house built but never finished or painted (I can see tape seams, screw holes etc). Is it worth the cost and effort to have the drywall finished and painted. I would have to pay someone to finish mudding and I could paint if necessary.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

You will never regret finishing a painting project that hasn’t been completed. If it’s as simple as you sound I’d say go ahead and do it. Otherwise I think youve gotten good advice.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. Just for reference, this is what the garage currently looks like.

• K R
    3 years ago

Oh yes. Finish it. I don’t know why but people love nice/finished/cleaned garages!

• kriii
    3 years ago

Look at other listings online, notice what clutter you don't like and don't make the same mistakes. You would be surprised what looks normal to you in your house looks like clutter to you in someone else's. Have the realtor use a professional photographer.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

Sand it, prime it and paint it. It will be worth the effort.

You may want to have a home inspection done to find out what you need to repair. Have HVAC serviced.

Call three agents and get them to do a market analysis and listing plan. While they are at it, they will give you an idea of what you need to do to prepare. If they tell you to do any expensive renovations such as kitchens and baths, don't do it. Only do minor items and make certain everything is in good repair. The new owners will probably end up wanting to make their own selections.

Regarding the rest of the home. Clean and declutter. Nothing on the floor of closets. Get rid of old clothes and shoes, empty shelves where possible. Empty closets are even better because that signals plenty of storage. Remove everything from countertops and table tops. Replace burned out lights. Clean again. Clean again. Paint worn trim. Paint walls neutral whites. Get the carpets cleaned.

Wash walls and doors, interior and exterior. Wash and clean windows. Get rid of old curtains and broken blinds. Pressure wash exterior. Clean up the yard. Get rid of trash and yard art. Prune back bushes, weed and mulch. Paint the front and rear doors. Buy some planters and seasonal flowers for the front and back door.

Have friends come over and tell you if they smell anything, including pets.

Lots to do between now and then to be ready for the Spring.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

After you have finished the garage make it look like it is usable. Depending on the size install a peg board with some tools. Things like a weedeater, hammer, tool kit. Does not need to be expensive tools but something so that the prospective owner can see "storage" and perhaps dream of being the next "fix it" person. While a clean no cluttered garage is great being too clean focuses on the house and there is still the mental image that the garage is "man's domain" while the house is the wife's. I know it is sexist but you want to present an image that people can walk into and imagine they are there.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

Lol at the yard art comment. Yes yes yes!! Nobody wants to buy a house with Hobby Lobby cheapie decor all over the yard, hanging on the house, or setting on the porch. (Or inside the house either!)

Set a BIG pot of real flowers outside the door, not a collection of cutesy little pots with gnomes randomly stuck around.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Have your realtor get a professional photographer and insist that you get final say on the photos chosen to use in the listing. And make sure the toilet seat lid is down. Actually a good photographer knows that you don't need a toilet shot to take a good bathroom picture.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all! So back to the garage, the mud on the drywall is pretty rough (see pictures below). I can do some minor drywall repair but don't have the time or skill to make it look perfect. What would you suggest in this case? Just make minor repairs? Hire someone to fix it (how much would this cost)? Also, I'm assuming using a paint sprayer would be easiest in the garage?

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

I'd leave the garage as is. Last home we owned was like that for the 18 years we owned it, and no one said a thing when we sold the house 5 years ago. The new owners probably haven't painted it yet. Honestly, painting the garage will not make a whiff of difference in selling your home.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

My garage looks way worse than that, and we bought the house anyway. DH noticed and commented on it, but that did not stop us from purchasing; didn't stop the other offer on the house, either. It's busted-up drywall in a non-living space -- not real high on the priority list (or even on the priority list, for that matter), and it still looks as bad as the day we moved in. As long as the garage is clean and uncluttered, I wouldn't bother with it unless you can DIY. Now, drywall repair on the interior? Absolutely a yes to fixing that.

• kevin9408
    3 years ago

I'd fix the bad tape joints, it reflects the impression of shabby workmanship throughout the house. Nothing major but if the sheet rock looks stained and dingy a quick once over with paint would help but not a major factor.

How does the front door look? First impressions start there along with the storm door. Is every room painted a different weird color? You're targeting Gen X and millennials, not boomers so consider the right paint color if repainting is needed.

Lastly, don't wait to long to sell if you want top dollar. Interest rates are on the move up, two increases in the last month. With every mortgage rate increase the pool of potential buyers drop based on price, so the more buyers who can afford your house the more offers. Asking price doesn't matter much to a buyer, it's how much a MONTH they are able to pay. I'd buy a 10 million dollar house if my payments were only $1500 a month, taxes included.

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Declutter and clean are the top 2 things to do.

In our last house sale I took the garbage out every time we left the house and took the dirty laundry with me too!

And if anyone can walk into your home and smell your animals, it is a turn off!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

Declutter, declutter, declutter. Even if you hate the way it looks. Get rid of personal photos and mementos from the shelves, remove stuff from your fridge door, remove the odd end tables, stepping stools, or ottomans you might have that make the place look more crowded. Get a rental storage unit if you need to for the time being.

Then hire someone to clean -- not just the ordinary places that you clean, but the back corners and spaces you might not even notice. (For example, someone pointed out to me that the 3" strip of floor between my washer and the wall was grimy - an easy fix, but it was a place I didn't look at and wasn't noticed).

Whether you should patch and paint depends a lot on your market (and the condition of your walls). I didn't paint anything except one wall which had a special painting technique that made it stand out,......that was the recommendation of the realtor, based on the market here and the understanding that most buyers here will have the place painted anyway before they move in. The market and buyer expectations may be different there.

Personally, I found living in my decluttered space and worrying about fingerprints or water droplets too stressful, so I moved to my cottage once it was open for viewings. Fortunately I only work part time, so that was an option for me, and thankfully I sold my condo in 8 days and can now move back home.

• jimandanne_mi
    3 years ago

"Have your realtor get a professional photographer and insist that you get final say on the photos chosen to use in the listing." Excellent advice from sushipup!

When I was talking with a realtor (recommended by my new husband - who was also sitting there - who had used him before) and explained that I would like to have final say so on the photos and wording, he said he was the expert, got mad, and walked out! (He also had said that the brand new cork flooring that we'd just put in the kitchen was dated - grrr.)

I immediately called a realtor acquaintance, who had come over twice for 2 hours each to give me free advice on staging (she had refused payment, even though I had told her before she came over that I would be using another realtor), told her what had happened, and said the listing was hers if she wanted it. She was shocked that the other realtor had walked out.

I had seen some listings that were horribly worded, so also asked her if she would be ok with discussing mine. No problem. When we disagreed, sometimes she accepted what I wanted, and others I went with her wording. She was excellent at explaining why.

Even though she was with a major, respected RE firm, she said she used her own photographer that she paid out of her pocket, since she thought she did a better job. Because it was August and also because she was leaving on vacation the next day, we posted everything immediately after the pictures were taken but before I reviewed them. Although all of them were excellent, the very first photo was totally misleading - the picture of the pool had 3-story high condos in the adjacent complex in the background! Mine was a ranch, one of its main selling points. She arranged to have the offending photo removed, but that took 2-3 days. By then the initial potential buyers had already seen it, and I was really bummed.

It was 2006, and the economy in Michigan had already started going into the recession that culminated in the 2008-2009 debacle. Lots of older condos on the market, especially in my area. I was an original owner from 1975 and had done nothing to mine prior to the previous 2 years, and the ones I'd been looking at in the listings had obviously not been updated.

But I had a great location, and we'd spent a fair amount to get new windows (seals were broken), a new furnace, new galley kitchen (original cabinets were truly crappy particle board), new bath vanities and lighting, new foyer to garage entrance tile (lousy sub-floor, so the original was cracked in places), new carpeting to replace the shag for the bedrooms (the one place where I cheaped out), major drywall work to the sagging ceiling, painted over original builder's white paint on all walls, etc. I knew I wouldn't get most of the money back, but the point was to get it SOLD!

My husband was a knowledgeable, physically fit, experienced DIYer whose mantra was, "He who dies with the most tools wins!" We even installed the new 8' wide sliding doors to the deck with the help of my son. Believe me, all of this was necessary to sell in that market, and we were starting our owner-builder new construction that September, so needed to sell and rent a place closer to our building site. My son had been saying since February that if I didn't sell in 2006, the financial indicators showed that 2007 would be too late and I'd never sell, and he was right. Almost nothing was moving already.

We'd put a LOT of things in storage, and the place looked great. In spite of the initial misleading photo, we did get 3 showings in 3 weeks (one each week). Our realtor was excellent at following through with the other realtors, and when we got one offer, she called the other realtor, who said my condo was in the top 3 for her client. My realtor told her that we had an offer, so if her client was interested, she needed to make one quickly, which she did. My realtor went back to each of them and was able to get one of the offers raised somewhat, and I sold at just a little below asking.

So follow the wonderful advice that you have been getting about decluttering, cleaning everything thoroughly, fixing what's broken, and getting your place on the market quickly in the present great selling market. Any kind of "black swan" event could change the great selling market overnight. And do your best to get an excellent realtor!

Anne

• homechef59
    3 years ago

Good advice about pictures and the all important listing description. I always insist on a copy of the listing that the realtors view with the full listing information. I want review for correct data. As retired appraiser, bad data is a red flag for me. When you hire your realtor, be certain to view their other listings for quality of pictures and listing description. Check for grammatical errors.

While there is no extra charge for photos on line, there are a lot of photos that are simply redundant. A good agent will edit them carefully. Don't waste viewers time with too many bathroom pictures and views of a room from four different directions. Lower the toilet seat, please!

You are getting good advice. If you can swing it, it's better to list sooner rather than later. Just make sure the house is ready. If you get a move on you can probably have it ready in a month.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Advice I'd give myself: (have built & sold many homes, sold many resales + a few I've lived in).

Interior repaint walls, replace carpet with current neutral color pallet especially if there were pets or children. The garage - low priority but first would be to paint it but if you can repair the joints. It wouldn't pay off to texture as the garage may only get a look from an open door.

Keep the yard maintained perfectly. Get some color in the flower beds.

Declutter and move extra stuff to storage or the dump.

Realtors - check experience, references and review the online presentation of their listings. Find a Realtor who uses a pro photographer (who's work you've seen). Photos run $150-250. Realtors with experience know which photos are most effective. You pay, you pick, otherwise listen to their expert advice. Happy talk, puffing you up and telling you your home is worth $100K more than it is doesn't help sell your home. The truth might hurt but save you time and money.

Online exposure via MLS and Zillow are critical. Do not allow "pocket" listings or a multi day delayed posting to MLS/Zillow after its "on market."

• kevin9408
    3 years ago

"And if anyone can walk into your home and smell your animals, it is a turn off!"

Oh yea! I had a neighbor who were dirty pigs and a classic example of trash, with dogs, cats and trash everywhere who listed their house as a short sale years back. I watched potential buyers open the front door and do a 180 to their cars because it stunk so bad. Not a couple of times but most of the people. A house flipper bought it for less than half market value but because of the stink he had to gut the house to the wall studs, he just couldn't get rid of the stink. He lost money.

The trash neighbor wasn't poor, just stupid in every way and both his 2 male kids became registered sex offenders, one got 5 years and was a cutter, the other was suicidal and I'm SO SO glad they moved.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all! Any opinions on selling it by owner? We sold a townhouse years ago ourselves and didn't have any issues. I know realtors add value but I can't see paying anyone 5% to sell.

• kevin9408
    3 years ago

Two personal horror stories:

I tried selling a house in MN by owner in 1998. We signed a purchase agreement and a few weeks later the guy wanted me to deed him the house and I'd get the money in 30 days. I said B.S.! It took me 3 months and $1000 in legal fees to serve him with a legal cancellation of the purchase agreement before I could re list it.

An aunt on my wife's side tried after I told her not to do it and to hire a realtor, she wouldn't. A potential buyer asked her to sign a paper so he could use it to get financing and she did. He scammed her, he used the paper to swindle her to resell the house some how and she lost the house. I kid you not! Selling by owner isn't a wise choice unless you really know what your doing, I even had a real estate attorney.

But in 1995 I sold a building lot without realtors and that one went well in Minnesota, and prior to that I bought and sold about a dozen properties in a small town in Texas without realtors but everyone knew everyone in the entire area so no one was out to swindle the other, and what I liked best about living there. A hand shake was all it took and a man's word meant something.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

" Any opinions on selling it by owner?"

My advice: Don't do it. Not only do they offer a lot of help and advice, they offer an ethical stance that I, as a buyer, would look for. That is, the rules of their professional license make it clear to the buyer that they are very unlikely to find out later that something isn't what they were told it was. So, I think listing with an agent will bring in more buyers.......If you sell without an agent, you're essentially limiting the number of potential buyers. (Remember, at least half of that 5% goes to the buyer's agent.)

You could try negotiating the seller's commission, especially if you plan to use the same agent to buy your next place. My agent took 1.5% less for helping sell my current place as she got for helping me buy my next place.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! So is it too early to contact realtors to get help with preparing, an idea of listing price, etc. if we aren't ready to sell yet (still looking for jobs......plan to move in summer)?

• kevin9408
    3 years ago

It's not to early to find a realtor and if one wants a signed contract before they will work with you don't use them. I closed on a house last week but selected a GOOD realtor in late december for input and data, but didn't sign a listing contract with them until mid February but they still worked with me. Being the listing agent is money in the bank to them right now and a good one understands this. Read the comments above about finding a good realtor, there is a difference.

A good realtor is also one who can do a "coming soon" listing, who will put it on the market on a Wednesday so you can look at any and all offers on Monday to weed out weak offers such as contingencies, no loan pre approvals, loan type, down payment size, ect. There is strategy involved to get the best offer in this market even if houses are selling so quick. You want a strong offer with the lowest chance of falling through.

• K R
    3 years ago

What Kevin said...at least sand and paint. Definitely use a realtor...they can give you great advice about any changes you should do to prepare. You might even get mail from realtors in your area that have sold in your area? That’s the best because they know it. IMO sale by owner listings take forever to sell and often sit there for months, I think buyers shy away from it. The only times I’ve seen it be successful is when the owner knows someone (like a friend of a friend) who wants to buy it. Even then guidance is needed (like a RE lawyer). If you want top dollar hire a realtor.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! Everything in the house is almost 15 years old (carpet, wood floor, appliances, HVAC, water heater, windows, etc) with the exception of the roof that was replaced last year (hail damage). I'm assuming it wouldn't make sense to replace anything as we won't recoup the price we pay to replace, correct?

• K R
    3 years ago

If you price it right, those things won’t matter. But it can’t hurt to get a realtor in there to assess. He or she will make the recommendations and check the comps.

• Adam
    3 years ago

Agreed, having the right price it won't actually matter to the buyer if these things are present.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

Yes to a real estate agent. You don't know what you know. Just remember that all listing contracts and percentages are negotiable. There is no set commission. It's a negotiation, too.

It's not too soon to start to get ready to sell. Put your energy into finding a good agent, follow their advice and get the property ready to show. We've given you good advice. If have a question, just ask and someone will help you.

Get to work on it. No time like now.

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

I am a stager but hard to tell you specific advice without seeing other rooms besides the garage :). You absolutely should finish any project you have started but honestly on the priority list, the garage and an unfinished basement are at the bottom.
    Cleaning and decluttering are the bare minimum and should go without saying but you’d be surprised as to the large variance in people’s opinions on what is clean and decluttered :).
    An experienced realtor brings an expertise to the table knowing the local market and often times getting information prior to it hitting the market. The good ones know how important professional photography is, especially in our very virtual world. Depending on how big a job is and the price point, my fees are also often paid by realtors as they see the value in staging. Maybe something to consider. Hard to be more specific without knowing your market.