Do you wish there was a block or ignore button?

Debby

Do you ever wish there were some people whose posts you just don't want to see. Although I know you all just LOVE mine... ;) Just like Facebook, do you wish you could "ignore" or even "block" posts by certain people because they just seem like trolls? It would make skipping past their posts easier.

No need to argue with anyone here. Just looking for opinions, and remember we are all entitled to those.

SaveComment57Like2
Comments (57)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terezosa / terriks

I use the scroll on by method.

13 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Nope. Nothing is worth getting worked up over. People we have very little chance of meeting in real life aren't going to ruin my day.

11 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

No, here I find it easy to scroll by posts I don't care to contribute to. We have some personalities but very few incidents of trolls, in my opinion. Unlike FB, where 'stuff' gets pushed at me and yes I do block persons/accounts I find offensive.

3 Likes Save    
joann_fl

Yes, I would like an ignore button for some people

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Debby
maifleur03

Being one of those people I can understand the thought however I have learned that to fully understand things I must look at things that I dislike. Seeing only one part of anything makes for a less educated individual.

12 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Indeed, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Too many here equate disagreement to a personal attack. Or, only want responses from people who share their views and offer attaboys. I find conversations like that boring.

Debby, I don't know if participants here look forward more to your posts or to mine but I know what you're talking about. But as jasdip and terezosa have said, movin' along and keeping a calm attitude and a smile no matter what are important skills everyone should be able to do with ease. Both here and in the real world.

4 Likes Save    
Embothrium

Yes here (Garden Web as a whole) it's just strangers making "stupid statements" as one poster once put it. These days I am more bothered by tailgating motorists. Which seem to be pretty prevalent. And have the potential to do physical damage - a key difference from social media.

Says he who has been rear ended at least 3 times while sitting and waiting for red lights. Two of these times by quite visibly intoxicated persons.

Yesterday the woman weaving and flashing her lights right behind me on an uncrowded country road waited until the one time there was a third motorist coming the other way and then started to pass just as they got to us.

Then when she could get buy immediately afterward roared on by a speed limit sign like it meant absolutely nothing to her. As habitual speeders so often do.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Three times? Wow.

I was rear ended once. Morning commute time, driving a kid to school, stopped at a red light with cars in front and behind also stopped to wait for a red light of perhaps 60 seconds duration. I was about 3 cars back from the first car. The light turns green, and pow, the car behind me hits me. I was driving a year-old relatively expensive car. I get out, walk back to see the damage (slight accordion) and continue to the driver and as I recall said something like "WTF is wrong with you?" The response was "the light turned green and it was time to move so I stepped on the gas pedal".

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

Absolutely not. I enjoy reading diverse opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

6 Likes Save    
jupidupi

I'd like an ignore button to use in person. Or at least a volume control.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Debby
mdln

Dislike when "pros" are rude to new posters. Also people who attack other posters vs. responding to the OP's question.

4 Likes Save    
bpath

Nah. If it’s within a thread, you could lose track of the discussion. And if it’s an OP, well, just don’t read it. There’s only one person I ever wanted to “block”, it was over on Building, and they are gone now anyway.

1 Like Save    
woodrose

There have been times when I wished I could "ignore" more than one person, but things have settled down here since discussing a certain subject has nearly stopped. I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that you can learn by listening to others. I think we're okay without either of those buttons, as long as we can disagree without resorting to name-calling and nastiness.

If we all could remember to treat others kindly it would be a much better world, wouldn't it ? We're all human and none of us are perfect, so unfortunately there will always be conflict and disagreements.

3 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

woodrose, yes "you can learn by listening to others" but experience has shown me that you can sometimes preserve more of your own brain cells by rapidly choosing NOT to listen to some fools! Some nonsense I've heard enough of, and don't need to give it even one more minute of my life! That's the extreme stuff, of course. A normal variation of opinion is fine.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Scroll On By works fine for me. We already have a problem with people wanting posts vanished.

3 Likes Save    
Lars

I don't feel the need to block an entire person. We have the option here of flagging a post as "I just don't like it," and it will disappear from your view.

I do not believe that flagging a post as "I just don't like it" has any repercussions, but I could be wrong.

Occasionally I will react to a post that I should just ignore, and I always seem to forget that I can flag the post to make it disappear from my view.

There are lots of threads that I never open - generally ones that have vague or non-descriptive titles or that seem to be baiting. I'm generally not curious enough to take bait, unless it is from someone that I particularly like.

Save    
amylou321

No. Most people can judge where a post is gonna go and can ignore it or not engage if it is going in a direction that they do not like.

That's what I have learned to do.

Save    
Raye Smith

Already practiced skipping one persons comments on this thread. Works quiet well at keeping the bully away.

1 Like Save    
Ded tired

I’m another who just scrolls on by. Im glad we can report deliberate spammers and as for others whose opinions don’t interest me, I can just scroll past those comments and often do.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

It isn't right to view anyone with a differing opinion as being a bully.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

A skip or ignore button doesn’t matter to me.

I like the good natured, fun threads. I like that many posters give support to others when maybe they are having a difficult time with something.

For the most part, people are good. Those that have a “better than you, smarter than you” combative attitude are just letting off steam because of something missing in their lives. I think of them as a grumpy, frustrated individual and I hope eventually that they will be able to laugh at themselves.

Being nice never hurts.

6 Likes Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

“It isn't right to view anyone with a differing opinion as being a bully.” I agree, except I’d say “everyone” rather than “anyone”. Occasionally there are people who have differing opinions who are bullies. There could equally be a person I agree with who is a bully. Bullying is a behaviour not an opinion. Only an extraordinarily sensitive person could see bullying in any of the posts in this thread.

I wouldn't want an ignore button. I find the grumpies funny, as I do the knicker twisters who get in a lather over a perceived slight from a complete stranger a thousand miles away. It would be a boring forum without them.

6 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Floral - there's a known bully on this forum, that person will insult and pick on others. Their behavior has been intense enough to cause other to chose to leave the forum - that's bullying.

4 Likes Save    
Embothrium

Any time information is obtained for free - as it is here - there may be a tendency present to assume that it is not worth much.

Save    
matthias_lang

Don't care to have an ignore button. Even people who annoy me on the internet at least add a little texture to my life.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

"Just because someone throws a ball doesn't mean you have to catch it" Someone wrote that as a gift to me here maybe a year ago. And a gift it has been- not only for here, but IRL.

I get a little ping of pleasure when I decide to scroll on by, I was given a tool, I'm using it, and am happier. If instead there was a block, I wouldn't get my ping.

9 Likes Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Sorry, Raye. I’ve not seen it.

1 Like Save    
socks

No, I have no wish to block anyone.

Save    
Raye Smith

Floral - glad you haven't seen it. I have and it's not pretty or pleasant.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

""Just because someone throws a ball doesn't mean you have to catch it""

I'm not sure how useful that imagery is but for those who like it, I think it's incomplete. Those who like it should consider adding these thoughts:

Just because someone throws a ball doesn't mean they intended to throw it to you or at you. Let it go and move on.

For whatever known or unknown cause, just because you think someone has thrown a ball to you or at you, it doesn't justify going after them with your bat.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

Ping!

5 Likes Save    
olychick

Ping!

4 Likes Save    
hounds_x_two

I just use my scroll button.

Save    
nickel_kg

In addition to Lucille's saying, "Not my monkeys, not my circus" has been useful to me. (Did that come from Amylou? whoever it was, thank you!)

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

I have used that before, yes. But I don't know if I am the originator of it.....

Save    
Elizabeth

I am the originator of the thrown ball expression. It was my Grandmother's expression. She explained that when someone says something to you that you do not like, you do not need reply. Just walk away. It is actually a very empowering thing.

4 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Thinking it and writing it are two different things

2 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

I say if anything a thumbs down button.

True there are people on here that are abrasive, but I find them funny. Not ha ha funny but eye rolling funny. I do feel sorry for them. But for newbies they do scare them off.

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

Online? I do not give a rodent's posterior.

Save    
amicus

Ideally we will offer our opinions and comments to others in a respectful manner, even if we strongly disagree with them. I know that intention is occasionally forgotten, and things get a little testy between people. But things can get testy in some discussions with family and friends, as well. Overall, I'd consider a forum boring, if we all agreed and always had the same opinion. Variety is the spice of life, as they say!

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

One thing I would like to see return is the like button. There are times like the current Glenda thread that I would like to rejoice that she is advancing but I have had no interaction with her. Posting a comment even as well meaning as it would be could exhaust her current energy level so I would rather leave it to her long term friends. Sometimes you simply like what a person states but have no desire to add more to the discussion.

1 Like Save    
Rusty

Personally, I see no need for a 'block' or 'ignore' button, if's plenty easy to just scroll on by.

Differing opinions can be helpful, educational, interesting, or insulting, demeaning, and even harmful, depending on how they are offered. It's unfortunate that some tend to offer their insults and condescending views as 'differing opinions', thinking they are clever. It still boils down to what it is, insults and even a form of bullying at times.

Rusty

4 Likes Save    
Embothrium

I'm still seeing a thumbs up icon and a "Like" after each post on my screen.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

Thank you Elizabeth.

Save    
bob_cville

I've never done so on this forum, but on the now-kaput KT forum, there were some posters who only ever seemed to post so-called "memes" or one-line non-sequiturs or virulent attacks or bald-faced lies.

When it seemed I was scrolling on by over 90% of a given posters responses, I would write a carefully crafted ad block custom blocking rule, that would delete all of that poster's responses from my view.

Edited to add: I did mean hot topics as Embothrium pointed out.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium

the now-kaput KT forum

My screen says we're on the Kitchen Table forum right now - you must have meant Hot Topics.

2 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

No. I can ignore people on my own if I wish. I am interested in other people's opinions whether I agree with them or not. I don't judge people by their opinions anyway. I judge them by their actions and how they treat me.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Skipped down to say hubby and I were discussing this topic the other day. he asked me why I didn't just mute people I found offensive on nextdoor.com and I told him I don't want to create my own personal 'bubble'. I want to see the folks I disagree with, and know what they have to say. I find it informative, and it's also a test of my tolerance and self control.

Saw a saying the other day, forgot the exact wording, but it was basically that once your words leave your mouth (or get added to the internet), you no longer have control over them.

P.S. @ maifleur, IMPE, the Like button is present for OPs on the gardenweb.com, but not the houzz.com URL.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium

I see the Like feature regardless of who started the thread.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

A while ago, Raye, when you said, "Works quiet well at keeping the bully away", I first read it as "Works quite well at keeping the bully away". _________

Sometimes when I see a ball coming at me ... I may check to see whether it was hit this way by an old bat.

ole joyful

3 Likes Save    
Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada

Lars, I have to say your honesty is delightful and makes me smile. You seem very well adjusted & funny considering some of the things you have experienced.

7 Likes Save    
morz8

I'm OK without a block or ignore here, I can do that myself. And do that when the thread is of no interest to me, would add nothing to my mental health, seems to be taking the way of arguing and is not my idea of a break in my day....

Not that I expect every thread to be light and flowers - we are real people who sometimes have real problems.

I belong to another forum where I did block someone years back. I found her so annoying ;0) She posts very occasionally, and what I see is 'this user is blocked'. I cannot remember who she was now, or what she had said that had offended me so greatly. Blocks on that particular site are permanent, and can't be undone so I'll never know.

Save    
Raye Smith

joyfulguy - quiet and quite have always tripped me up, plus I write in two languages.

Save    
Yayagal

Doesn't bother me, they are only words.

Save    
tvq1

What Ladydi said!!^^

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I write in two languages"

Very cool. What's the second one?

Save    
mdln

I have just changed my mind. Wish I could block some responses to my posts.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Workbook 8 Kitchen Amenities You'll Really Wish You Had
Keep kitchen mayhem and muck to a minimum with these terrific organizers and other time-saving, mess-preventing features
Full Story
Kitchen Design A Designer Shares Her Kitchen-Remodel Wish List
As part of a whole-house renovation, she’s making her dream list of kitchen amenities. What are your must-have features?
Full Story
Bathroom Design A Designer Shares Her Master-Bathroom Wish List
She's planning her own renovation and daydreaming about what to include. What amenities are must-haves in your remodel or new build?
Full Story
We take pride in the fact that our finished product is sprayed and never rolled or brushed. Your final product... Read More