SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travisaz

Perched Water Table (PWT) or Poor Drainage?

I have two citrus trees in moderate sized pots (about 18x18 inches). They are in my best effort of a 5-1-1 mix. I've always wondered if there was something wrong with my mix because it retained water longer than I thought it should, and I have experienced yellow leaf drop from overwatering. Tonight I had the sudden realization that my problem could be inadequate drainage in my pots. They just have a single hole at the center of the bottom. I didn't worry about it before because it is large hole, maybe an inch in diameter, and I see water exiting when I flush, so I assumed adequate drainage. Still, it is just one hole.
So tonight I lifted them up to drill extra drainage holes in the bottom and lots of water came out as soon as I tilted them to the side. I know that can be an indication of PWT.
I guess what I'm wondering is if, based on your experience, the single drainage hole could create this water retention problem, or if I do have a PWT that I will just have to deal with. They are large enough that I don't want to have to go back and rock them all after watering. But I will do that if that's what it takes.

Comments (16)