SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Paris! If one loves London and NYC ...

IdaClaire
3 years ago

Do you think it naturally follows that one could expect to fall in love with Paris too? I've been to the aforementioned cities (to London numerous times and was instantly smitten on my first and so far only visit to NYC), but never to Paris. I've been watching shows in which the city features, and lately I'm intrigued with the idea of seeing it for myself-- once travel becomes a viable option, of course.
If you know Paris, please share your impressions. How is it like other big cities and how does it most differ? Would really enjoy reading your input.

Comments (33)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Paris is my favorite city. I have a whole write up I’ll send you. That being said, I know plenty of people who are not in love with the city like I am.

Often Parisians are interpreted as rude, but I’ve never experienced it. We’ve experienced helpful people when we were clearly needing assistance. They are more proper and less “personable” with strangers than Americans so you have to get into that vibe.

Say hello and thank you every time you come and go, but don’t expect to have a chat with your waiter. And lean into 2 hour meals. Try to learn some basic French words to get you to the intro for a better experience.

IdaClaire thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

I had very little interest in visiting Paris myself, but when my in-laws were unable to take my then 16 year old on a scheduled bday trip, I stepped in and took her (along with my younger DD). I absolutely loved it and would go again in a heartbeat.

One of my concerns had been the reputation of Parisians as rude snobs (my feelings are easily bruised). I found the exact opposite (well, except for a few waiters in the very touristy areas).

Sorry, but I haven't been to NYC and it's been 30 years since I've been to London for more than a brief stopover, so I can't speak to your actual question. However, my gut feeling is that you'd love it.

IdaClaire thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Related Discussions

More Samples - Paris rain, Coastal Fog, or Providence Olive?

Q

Comments (43)
    Thank you so much, indygo! I may have to try Inner Balance. I did not know that the PO matched Nature's Scenery. I knew about Nantucket Gray and Cheyenne Green, but not about PO and NS. Luckily, the generous folks at my local hardware store let me borrow a fan deck until I make a decision. Needless to say, I've spent a fortune sampling colors over the last week. I guess Inner Balance will be next. DLM, I also think Baby Turtle is beautiful in the pics I've seen, but it has a lot of yellow in it. I loved the Monroe Bisque when it went up and for many years. I am tired of it now, so I'd prefer a more greenish-brownish gray.
    ...See More

Trip photos, pt 5 (Paris)

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you for all the lovely responses. Sjerin - thank you very much for your comments about my writing. I am so pleased because while I'm not a writer, I do enjoy the written word so much. Chisue - Congratulations on your soon-to-be 50th wedding anniversary. Perhaps a trip to Paris would be a great 50th wedding anniversary gift for you and your DH to give to each other!
    ...See More

Paris thread -- trip 2-3 weeks before, during or after Easter..

Q

Comments (19)
    Is this your first trip to Paris and or London? If you have three weeks, I would certainly plan to do more than Paris, especially if I had not been to Europe before and was not a frequent traveller ... you can do a lot comfortably in three weeks. Let me start off by saying though, I really would not go to Paris in April. My first trip as a "grown up" was April in Paris, and I just assumed it was a good time ago (isn't there a famous song?). The song is probably just because the guy needed two syllables. April in Paris is usually cold and rainy. I have been there a dozen times on business and 4 times for pleasure, and I much prefer June or September. I totally understand the spring break timing. I am confronted with that every year too ... it seems you either go skiiing, go to the beach, or you have to go somewhere off season. Drives me crazy. But I truly believe April is suboptimal, and I had to say that upfront. One of the best things about Paris is just strolling about, and it is much nicer if it is green and pleasant. If this is a once in a lifetime trip, I'd do it in June. One of my favorite places in the world is the Bagatelle, a small tulip garden in the Bois du Bologne. In April it will be barren. So will Giverny, a great day trip to Monet's home. Okay so I have said my piece on that and will desist! The Georges V on the right bank is steps from the Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elyssees. Over the years it had been flagged as a few different brands, but it is currently a Four Seasons. I tended to stay there on business, and while it is excellent, it is not my first choice for leisure. I don't really like the Champs Elysee ... it has large, modern stores on that section .. and I would much rather be based on the left bank for leisure. My fave is La Lutetia, but I just looked it up and it is closed for renovations. I also like the Hotel Montalambert and Relais Christine, both left bank. Do note that both cities are very pricey as I am sure you know. Moreover, unlike American brands, rooms are typically very very small and often cannot accommodate a third person. Lastly, try to be very specific about the actual room and get photos. Many hotels are in older buildings and the rooms are anything but cookie cutter. One person can have a fabulous charming room and the other a dump. But in my mind it feels much more Parisian to stay in an old building! So keep that in mind when looking into alternates. As far as an itinerary, I would try to take the full three weeks so as to maximize the bang for your buck on flying over there. BTW I just read about a new all business class airline into Paris that, for business class, is quite reasonable. If you don't want to spring for a flat bed seat, fly during the day, land at night, and get right on the local schedule. Avoid caffeine, drink lots of water, get sun and exercise and you won't have any jet lag. I would consider flying into London (frankly between Gatwick and LHR there are so many flights and carriers that you can usually get the best deals). I would consider excursions to Stonehenge and Bath. Then I'd take the Chunnel to Paris. No one needs to tell you what to see in Paris! Outside of Paris I'd consider train trips to Versailles of course, and maybe to Chartres to see the famous cathedral and have dinner. If you are going a full three weeks, I might throw in Belgium and do an open jaw, flying into one city and out of a different one. I like the Hop on Hop off buses, tacky though they are, because they give you a quick lay of the the land. I usually research the "36 hours in" or "three perfect days in" articles in advance, to get ideas about what Id like to do. These are from the NY Times and periodicals so more timely than guidebooks.
    ...See More

Urgent - Paris hotel recommendation needed

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Daisy, I am glad you found a good option. Personally, one of the reasons I never used Air BnB is because so often we are in far flung places or in high season and I did not want to risk it (with a very spoiled family of five and our luggage retinue) and then have no choices. The first time I booked an Air BnB was just this past March in LA, because i figured LA has tons of hotels and March isn't really a high season where I wont be able to find a room. My second AIrbNb reservation is in NYC for a girls weekend, which would just mean we'd all go to my home instead if we run into a problem. BTW Gail, booking a back up hotel is fine except so many of them now price like airlines do and won't let you cancel "6pm day of arrival" like in olden days! High season in Paris could indeed be tricky if something fell through, unlike March in LA. I share your skepticism too, the owners can compare their place just like you did and one wonders why they would underprice.
    ...See More
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, thank you so much, Spanish! I would love to read your writeup!

I have a very shy male friend who took his family to Paris, and I fully expected him to report that he didn't feel comfortable there, because of the reputation and stereotypes that I had heard. Quite the contrary. He loved every minute, and said he particularly found shopkeepers and ordinary people on the streets to be extremely kind and patient. He was pleasantly surprised at how helpful Parisians were, and how they seemed to appreciate his attempts at the language. I would imagine his somewhat shy, quiet nature worked to his advantage. Heck, I don't like brash, loud Americans neither. 😁

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Daisy! Sounds like a very serendipitous trip you were able to make with your daughters!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

imho, anyone who likes to travel, and especially if they enjoy cities and architecture, simply has to go to Paris.

In addition to going there multiple times for business, I have also taken multiple trips to drag a boyfriend , my best friend since seventh grade, my mother, my DH, and my children there all at least once.

My absolute favorite thing about Paris is the admittedly touristy nighttime Seine boat ride, because traveling under the bridges and seeing the skyline from the water is just so beautiful. And I could move into the Musee dorsay, though every time go I also have to go see my two faves, The Odalisque and Samothrace at the Louvre. But also of course the oval room at the l’orangerie where you’re surrounded by Monets water lilies.

The other thing I always loved about Paris is that pretty much everywhere you walk you see beautiful architecture and beautiful store fronts and everything you eat is delicious. On business we tended to stay near the Champs Elyssee, for fun I usually stayed on the left bank. On our last visit we stayed in a converted leather factory on the canals… Terrific.

As exuberant as all that sounds ..,and it is...On our last trip I was a little disappointed in the food… I think I’ve become more finicky Or it’s no longer the case that everything is delicious and there are too many places they cater to tourist with subpar food. It also felt more like a city to me than it has in the past, maybe busier noisier and dirtier.

IdaClaire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Mtn! You would make a fabulous tour guide!

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

Love Paris! A few favorites are Saint Chappelle and the Rodin Museum. Took a pastry class once and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. Otherwise, I just love walking around, sitting in cafes and soaking in the scenery. I've only been twice and it has not been enough for me - would go back in a heartbeat. And yes to the Seine boat trip day or night.

Both times stayed in a well-located boutique hotel that I don't hesitate to recommend.

https://www.hotel-britannique.fr/en/ 

IdaClaire thanked rubyclaire
  • daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

The other thing I always loved about Paris is that pretty much everywhere you walk you see beautiful architecture and beautiful store fronts

Yes, to this. We hit Paris in the middle of an unprecedented heat wave and ended up passing on the Louvre and a couple of other things we had planned just because it was unthinkable to stand in line in 40 + Celsius heat. However, we felt that every trip to the park or walk down the street was like visiting a museum. Another bonus of the heat was that we went to the Eiffel Tower late at night when it was cooler and got to see the midnight light show. I didn't even know it was a thing. On the way back to the hotel, the metro shut down for repairs and we had about an hour long walk back. Never would have done it otherwise, but our middle of the night adventure has become one of our favourite memories.

IdaClaire thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • llitm
    3 years ago

I'm simply not a city person but, yes, it follows that if you love London and NYC you'll also love Paris. And, you may as well throw Rome into the mix. We've enjoyed our repeated short stays in all.

ETA that I can't recall visiting any place where we came away feelng we'd been treated rudely. I remember visiting NYC for the first time and being apprehensive about New Yorkers but, gosh, that was completely unfounded. More than once, on public transportation examining a map, we were asked by New Yorkers of ALL ages if they could help. We returned within the year given our positive experience.

IdaClaire thanked llitm
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

I love Paris. I don’t know anyone who’s been to Paris and disliked it. I’ve only been twice, but DH and I are hoping to go again next spring.

The first time we went (with 3 little kids) we first visited London and then took the train to Paris, so you can easily combine a trip to both cities! I love London, too. Sigh. I want to go!

IdaClaire thanked Sueb20
  • Gooster
    3 years ago

I have been to Paris many, many times and there is always something to discover. As a tourist, I've not seen many people coming away disappointed. The charm, the romance, the art, culture, history and architecture still deliver a unique experience. It is closer to London in that respect (along with the lack of high rises in the center).

The negative reactions usually are related to crowds and trips that focus on quick tour itineraries. There are times (peak of summer) where the very touristy areas can get overrun. This is worse (pre pandemic) than 20 years ago. The Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel Tower, Versailles, etc can now get very busy with tourists (and lines), which can put off some people. There is also a higher concentration of tourist-centric restaurants in the Left Bank but still some great places.

My last stay was in early August, staying in my friend's pied-a-terre and spent exploring 3rd and 4th tier sights and doing things like pilgrammages to the flea markets and e.Dehillerin before heading South. Eating in the Canal-St-Martin area or in the 11eme and other more emerging areas like Belleville gave some really great choices. The areas were also so less crowded as many Parisians were still on their holidays (downside -- some places were closed).

One tip: always say "bonjour" first and wait for a reply before launching into a question or asking if someone speaks english. It is very rude to do otherwise.

IdaClaire thanked Gooster
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Yes, Canal-St-Martin was where our house was. As for museum lines am I misremembering that there was a way out of that last time? Timed tickets or advance tickets or a guide?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, thank you all so much! You're really adding to my itch to go! Ruby, that hotel is gorgeous. Just the sort of place I envision when Paris comes to mind.

I can't imagine us taking a trip with a tour group. It's just not our style. My male friend I mentioned earlier rented an Airbnb apartment and found it charming (and surprisingly spacious).

I really hope to go someday. With the way the world currently is, It's not something I can plan any time soon, but it sure is fun to dream for the future... maybe the spring of 2023 would be good timing, and something nice to help celebrate my 60th year.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I love Paris beyond words. Every little corner of it that I’ve seen, including some seedy parts. I love NYC, love everything about it, but especially its high energy. London? Yeah, it’s ok. I do enjoy roaming around in Hyde Park, walking around in Chelsea, Kensington areas looking for past residences of writers, but London doesn’t toddle up to me and hug me like a pudgy little baby the way Paris does. So, at least for me, the three cities are not on par. In Paris, I’m as happy just lounging around in the hotel room with the windows open and just taking in the feeling of being there as I am going to places.

Beyond this subjective drivel, I’d say I love all three cities for their museums. Musee d’Orsay is a treat. And I’d be content being a lowly janitor or staff member at the Louvre just to gaze at the Winged Victory every day.

I don’t like many of the the touristy parts which are so crowded and commercialized, though I contribute to the problem. I now avoid those attractions having seen them during the first few trips. I do wish museums would be less crowded. I like the fact that the Latin Quarter part of Paris has a different vibe from other areas.

London, and most parts of England I’ve seen are a visual treat with the unnaturally lush and beautiful vegetation, be it the window boxes, little front gardens or the amazing parks. I could spend everyday in Central Park in NYC.

I like day trips around London, especially Oxford.

IdaClaire thanked nutsaboutplants
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I want that same hug, nuts! What a great way to describe it!

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Jen, I too recommend exploring the city on your own, with one caveat. I usually take the hop-on-hop-off thingie the first time I’m in a city, on the first day. Just to get the lay of the land, a realistic scale of walkable distances, etc., so that you can map out your day, which places you want to cover, whether by foot or other means, etc. Then, I like to do the rest on my own.

as for Paris, I recommend staying as close to the Seine, in the 1st Arrondissement or nearby, e.g. the upper portion of the 5th arrondissement. If you choose a location close to the Seine in or around the 1st Arrondissement, You can walk to the Louvre, musee d’Orsay, Notre Dome, the Latin Quarter, champs elysees, the Luxembourg gardens etc.

• hhireno
    3 years ago

I think if you (the collective you, not IdaClarie) go anywhere expecting to find rudeness, you’ll find it. It will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you like cities, I don’t see how you wouldn’t like Paris.

I‘m sure I’ve told this before but...

When I went to Paris with my husband, his first trip there, we left the hotel and walked a few blocks. All of a sudden, off in the distance, we could see the Eiffel Tower. He looks at it and says “Is that it?“ OMG! People dream of seeing it in person and he sounded like he spotted what he thought might be the door to the men’s room. He claims he didn’t mean it like that. No matter, I have been laughing about it for years, and whenever we see the ET, on screen or in print, I say “Is that it?” in his same deadpan way.

That same trip, he returned to the States earlier than I did. I was sitting in a restaurant alone, in a touristy area, when an American couple came in. The wife was the epitome of the ugly American. I was embarrassed for ALL of us. To her credit (?), she wasn’t just rude to the waiter, she was rude to her husband. I bet she returned home and complained about people being rude, not recognizing her role.

IdaClaire thanked hhireno
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

I've never been to New York but have been to both London and Paris several times. I won't go back to London - I'm just not a fan of it but Love Paris and will go back in a heartbeat. It is such a walkable city and there is always a treat to see around every corner. And I have never encountered rudeness in Paris.

We took the kids to Paris several years ago and I had screwed up the reservations and the manager of the hotel couldn't have been more accommodating at finding us another place nearby. The place that I thought I had booked was cheaper than the one he found and the rebooked hotel gave us a deal on his pricing.

On that same trip we were standing at a street corner with the street map opened in front of us and a lady came up to us and said that she spoke English and could she help us. Her English was heavily accented but she was so considerate in helping us go in the right direction.

IdaClaire thanked blfenton
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Y'all really have sold me on making this a definite plan. I'm reading your words and longing to be able to start planning to go in earnest!

I totally agree that by and large, one gets out of a place what one brings to a place. I will never forget overhearing an American father chastising his young son at a resort in Mexico in the dining room over lunch. The boy had said something about asking the pool attendant for a towel, and the father was literally shouting, "Ask?! ASK??!! You don't ASK these people anything! You TELL them!" Everyone who heard him was mortified. It makes my blood boil even reiterating it now. What a horribly behaved man.

• llitm
    3 years ago

Americans don't hold the monopoly on poor manners.

IdaClaire thanked llitm
  • lizzie_grow
    3 years ago

Oh Ida....I think you would love Paris! We went under the guidance & wing of a couple who had been there many times. Shared an apt. in the 3rd with them for three weeks. We went in early fall & the weather was perfect! The architecture, the cafes, the people...everything was so much more than I'd anticipated & we did not come across any rudeness at all. We took a little

French customs/language class before we went & I think it made us more comfortable, esp. my DH. I had 3 years of high school French to fall back on,, but honestly it wasn't necessary. I had left my glasses on the plane & have poor eyesight, so I was kind of freaked out about losing a contact lens while there & not having back-up glasses, so we found a charming optic place & they fitted me with new glasses, using my prescription I either had with me or my eye Dr. texted to me. I also got a GI virus while there & the nearest pharmacist recommended a physician who would be available on a Sunday, & he actually made a house call to the apt, climbing three flights of stairs, prescribed what I needed & I was better in a day or two. We went to a fabulous outdoor flea market, a regular market, a guided limo trip to the champagne district outside of Paris, and of course, the museums. DH & our friend took a cooking class in a woman's home & then my friend & I had lunch with them in the woman's apt. I don't know if we'll ever be fortunate enough to visit again, but am so grateful for the experience. I would love to take my DGG, who is art-y, but of course can't right now.

IdaClaire thanked lizzie_grow
  • Marlene Oliver
    3 years ago

Just thinking of Paris makes me wish I could pull a Dorothy and click my heels three times and land on the Rue des Beaux Arts (or any street in Paris.)

Paris is my favorite city. No matter how many times I have been, it remains magical to me. I was going to spend a month last year but......

As others have said, I have never found the Parisians to be rude and have had some wonderful experiences because of their kindness.

I do like London and always enjoy NYC but Paris has my heart.

Jen, I will bet you a baguette that Paris becomes your favorite city.

Now I am off to look for my ruby slippers.

IdaClaire thanked Marlene Oliver
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

This thread makes me want to go back! My DD and her DH went in 2019 and she wants to go again really badly. I would love to go with her this time so maybe it will be in the cards for a girls trip with the granddaughter when she graduates in 2022. My DH would go but who knows when this will happen.

IdaClaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I enjoyed Paris - it was my first international destination a long time ago - 1984. However once we drove into the country side to go to Normandy I knew immediately that loved the rural/small town areas better than the big cities. I've since been to quite a few large cities in Europe and enjoyed seeing various attractions in each of them but I have most enjoyed staying in smaller towns.

IdaClaire thanked 3katz4me
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

I'm just going to post my Paris list here. Note that we haven't been in a few years, so you'll want to check the details....

Here’s my list of Paris Favorites – okay, maybe some of my favorites:

1. Museums: We love them and can spend lots of time in them. The Louvre can easily take a day (be sure to go downstairs if you’re there and see where they found the foundation of the original structure on that spot). If you want to see some art, but don’t want to navigate the Louvre, here’s a list that I would recommend.

a. L’Orangerie for Monet’s Water Lilies. It’s breathtaking. There is also a small exhibit downstairs.

b. Musee D’Orsay. This has a great selection of Impressionist art and a good café.

c. Musee Marmottan – this is a little off the beaten path, mostly Monet in a beautiful mansion.

d. Musee Rodin – I love the sculpture garden, never been inside, but I hear it’s great.

2. Parks: The parks in Paris are wonderful. Here are a few of our favorites.

a. Parc de Monceau is my favorite – it’s a little off the beaten path as well – on the same side of Paris as the Marmottan.

b. Tulieries – on the way to the Louvre – we like to stay in the Renaissance Vendome right nearby.

c. Luxemborg – also lovely

3. Department Stores: I love shopping and the service in Paris is wonderful. The first two listings are on Blvd. Haussmann and they are the big Paris department stores and they have EVERYTHING! Blvd Haussmann is always packed with people, most noteably tourists.

a. Printemps – 4th floor has a wonderful housewares section. 2016 Update, the store is going through renovations right now and missing much of the housewares section. We went to the Galleries Lafayette housewares building across the street.

b. Galleries Lafayette – the less expensive of the two. See a.

c. Monoprix – these are all over the city. The best one is on Av. De Opera. Think of is as the French Target. I’m obsessed.

d. BHV is located in the Marais. Fewer tourists. The basement is full of all kinds of interesting stuff from hardware and French signs to everything you need to do your own shoe repair.

e. City-Pharma. 26 rue du Four. www.pharmacie-paris- citypharma.fr France has fantastic cosmetics and skincare for cheap. I use Caudalie, which you can get here for about 30% more. They speak English and can hook you up with great stuff! It’s right off rue Bonapart, which is a great street to wander.

4. Churches: We get tired of them, but you should see some. a. If you go to Notre Dame, go first thing in the morning or you’ll be in line forever [insert sad face here]

b. Also on the island is Ste. Chappelle – it’s absolutely

beautiful inside, but don’t start there. You can go next door to see the Conciergerie, which is also interesting. There you can buy a joint ticket for both sights and it will allow you to bypass the Ste. Chappelle line which is also very long.

5. Areas: These are a couple areas that we like/or have opinions about...

a. Eiffel Tower and St Germain are wonderful areas.

Make sure to see the tower after dark when it lights up on the hour.

b. Wander the Marais – it’s a great place to shop and people watch

i. For a great meal, try Breizh Café 109 Rue Vieile du Temple for buckwheat crepes and hard cider that are out of the world.c.

Momarte is not my thing, but you should see if you have time. Sacre-Coeur is nice and the view from the steps is wonderful. Note that at the bottom of the hill is the Pigale area which is one of the “bad” areas of the city. Don’t go there at night. 2016 update: Recently I’ve read that this area is gentrifying.

1. Street Markets: Paris has wonderful street markets. You can find lots of great food and just looking at it is an experience. I wish we had this kind of food offerings.

a. Rue Moffetard is wonderful – the movie Amelie was filmed in one of the cafes there. You’ll find a number of street merchants and shops selling great food! Near the Pantheon and Jardin du Plants.

b. Rue Cler in St. Germain is also a great market.

2. Restaurants: Be prepared to relax over meals for a couple hours. It’s one of the things I love most about Europe. a. We love L’Absinthe. 24 place du Marche Saint-Honore. Near the Tulieries. http://www.restaurantabsinthe.com/ If they are serving the beet gazpacho, you must have it.

b. We also love Maceo. 15 rue des Petits Champs. Also near the Tulieries.

http://www.maceorestaurant.com/Maceo_English_Ho me.html

c. Maceo has a sister restaurant called Willi’s Wine Bar a few doors down. We haven’t been there, but it’s been written up in Gourmet magazine in the past.

d. Restaurant Verjus. 52 rue de Richelieu. www.verjusparis.com It is right around the corner from Maceo. They do a tasting menu with two seatings. You can do the menu with, or without, the wine. Do the wine too! This was recommended by the owner of Paris by Mouth.

1. We took a nighttime bus tour and it was nice – something different. I wouldn’t personally do a day tour.
    2. Miscellaneous Food: There is so much good food.
      a. For cheese, look up the Adrouet stores. There are several. We’ve been to the one on Rue Moffetard(6.a) and one in the 6th off Rue Bac. Ask them what’s good.

b. Paris by Mouth tours. Meg, who owns the company,has a blog by the same name. We did the wine and cheese workshop and she happened to join us with relatives, although someone else let the tour. They have several options at any given time. Also, her blog has great restaurant recommendations.

10. Hotels: We’re Marriott people, so take that with a grain of salt.

a. Renaissance Paris Vendome. 4 Rue du Mont Thabor. Our favorite hotel. 82 rooms, centrally located right behind the Tulleries and there’s a pool in the basement!

b. Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center. 17 Boulevard Saint-Jacques. Further south, but off the metro six line and easy to get around by metro. Because it's a conference center, rooms are super cheap during the French holiday July/Aug.

Another benefit is the RER train goes from Charles de Gaulle to Denfert Rochereau station a couple blocks from the hotel. There is a metro station across the street, but I’d walk with luggage and take metro from the St. Jacques station thereafter.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Eeeeee! How lovely! Thank you so much!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

A vintage school map of Paris hangs above my desk so I can constantly dream about my next trip!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

My first trip to Paris was when I was 11 and I fell in love. I have been a fair number of times since (multiple times when I studied in Dijon and fell madly in love again, but with Pascal-ah youth) and will go until I am too old to travel. Can't imagine when that would be as far as Paris and France are concerned. Now, I usually spend three days in Paris at the beginning and end of a trip when I drive to a gite (rental house) in a smaller village elsewhere in France.

I would stay in a small hotel on the left bank (plenty within walking distance to the Musée d"Orsay) or in le Marais district. A rental on the Canal St. Martin would be lovely as well.

Paris is a city that needs to be walked. I never take the metro or a taxi, but walk everywhere. Wander back streets in addition to hitting the must-see museums and tourist spots-agree the Rodin is a must-see. The Place des Vosges (in the Marais) has a nice little park and a nice restaurant for lunch.

I just read that the city has plans to turn le Champs Élysées into a pedestrian garden. Be still my heart. That would be brilliant and just goes to show the soul of the French populace. Here we just keep building more roads. There, you will find small parks tucked into street corners, large gardens with plenty of chairs or benches, yet still quiet. It is a magical place. I hope you feel the same when you go.

IdaClaire thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just a quick note to suggest Travel Man, Season 2, Episode 2, where comedian Richard Aoyade is in Paris with a cute actress for 48 hours. I love this series anyway, but particularly enjoyed this episode since we've been talking of the city here. Recommend the quick half hour streaming show.

• Moxie
    3 years ago

Paris is my favorite place on earth. I have visited many times and worked there as well. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Manners: Learn a little French. If you try and are polite, most French people will speak English if they can, but not if you just assume they should speak English. Always say "Bonjour, Madame/Monsieur" when entering a place - restaurant, a store, anywhere. Always say "Merci. Au revoir, Madame/Monsieur" when leaving. These are a must. Be aware that Americans, especially women, smile a lot more than the French. Lack of a smile doesn't mean hostility; it's quite possibly just a neutral expression. Compared to French people, we Americans tend to be loud and take up a lot of physical space. Being aware of this will help you fit in more comfortably.

Museums: You can spend years in them and not see everything. Instead of wearing yourself out, do some advance work. Know what's on your "must see" list. I don't need to see the Mona Lisa again, but I can't be in Paris and not see La Victoire de Samothrace. I typically visit "favorite friends" then select one area to see in detail. That's the luxury of many visits. I love the Musée d'Orsay, Musée de l’Orangerie, Musée de Rodin.

I wouldn't bother going up the Eiffel tower. The view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe is good, easy to access via a tunnel under the street, cheaper and less crowded. Better yet, go up near Sacre Coeur. The church isn't especially interesting, but the view is better than from the Eiffel tower and free.

Strongly suggest reading "Pariswalks: Seven Intimate Walking Tours of Paris's Most Historic and Enchanting Quarters" by Alison, Sonia and Rebecca Landes.

Random: If you crave cookware, go to Dehillerin, 18-20 Rue Coquillière. Have hot chocolate at Angelina's (Skip the food. It's mediocre and expensive.), see St. Chapelle for the stained glass. I prefer Joshephine's Malmaison to Versaille, but the gardens at the latter are impressive. View the Eiffel tower at night from the Trocadero.

IdaClaire thanked Moxie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Moxie, I too mentioned Samothrace, as I feel the same. I always get a thrill rounding the corner and looking up those steps. I actually own a museum store replica about a foot high or so.

I think generally long lines can be averted at many sites in Europe if you hire a guide, if memory serves. Or just avoid July and August. I totally would not miss the gardens of Versaille. We stayed at the Trianon right there, and it was so easy to stroll into the gardens, rent bikes, etc.

IdaClaire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Yes, I too mentioned Samonthrace (as Winged Victory). I don’t mind being a lowly staffer at the Louvre if I get a chance to gaze at her every day as she looks about to take flight,